Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 01-22-13, 04:54

There's good tickets, and bad tickets. That there is a bad ticket.
I would have stopped you to check out your bike, then given you a ticket for pairing a SRAM group with a decent frame.
Old 01-22-13, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Sorry to tell you this but section 5201 (a) and (c) of the California Vehicle Code clearly says that licence plates must not be obscured.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/veh_code.pdf

My guess is that this law has to do with the electronic plate readers installed on toll roads and bridges, police cars, and traffic lights.
I called my insurance guy

Insurance companies can find you liable if you get rear ended with a hitch rack on. obstructing brake lights and turn signals.

So will Yakima and thule be offering the trailer light kit and plate hanger soon?

I see safety issues sure.

But if a cop went to any of the mtn bike trail-heads here in socal they could wright up 4 of every 10 vehicles there.

Not one bike shop I have called can answer and Rack N Road too.

Nothing in the Thule manual about this

for the literal readers and posters here I am not looking to justify anything.

If it is a vehicle code issue and a safety issue then shops and the mfg should know about this right? Does a consumer have a right to assume the product is too code?

Last edited by Boeing; 01-22-13 at 18:58.
Old 01-22-13, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedaling squares View Post
There's good tickets, and bad tickets. That there is a bad ticket.
I would have stopped you to check out your bike, then given you a ticket for pairing a SRAM group with a decent frame.
ok I am SRAM lifer

even the xx1 on the tallboy and my v10?

Last edited by Boeing; 01-22-13 at 18:52.
Old 01-22-13, 19:51

This being SoCal, I think it's all about revenue.
Old 01-22-13, 22:25

I ose an Odyssey to transport my bikes but when I buy a new vehicle I will check out Colorado rules on trailer-hitch bike racks (I used to live in SoCal until a year ago).
I wonder if one can purchase an additional plate or have one made to mount on the bike rack or bike.
Old 01-25-13, 04:41

I expect every jurisdiction on earth that licenses motor vehicles has a code requiring that the number plate not be obstructed. It all comes down to interpretation. Is the license obstructed if there's a spec of mud on it? Or how about a large squashed bug?

If the vertical post of the rack is narrower than the distance between the viewer's eyes, the numbers still are legible. Either the cop was blind in one eye or he has a chubby for you. My money's on the latter.
Old 01-25-13, 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by elapid View Post
Depends where you are, but I was pulled over for this about 15 years ago in Australia. Got off with a warning, but was advised to use a different bike rack or mount the number plate differently so it was not obscured by the bikes. Not sure of the rules in California.
I actually was fined for this (in Aus) and probably about 15yrs ago as well. My understanding now is that even having it attached to your tow ball when not having a bike attached is illegal in Australia as it presents a risk to pedestrians/rear end crash issues
Old 01-25-13, 05:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
I called my insurance guy

Insurance companies can find you liable if you get rear ended with a hitch rack on. obstructing brake lights and turn signals.

So will Yakima and thule be offering the trailer light kit and plate hanger soon?

I see safety issues sure.

But if a cop went to any of the mtn bike trail-heads here in socal they could wright up 4 of every 10 vehicles there.

Not one bike shop I have called can answer and Rack N Road too.

Nothing in the Thule manual about this

for the literal readers and posters here I am not looking to justify anything.

If it is a vehicle code issue and a safety issue then shops and the mfg should know about this right? Does a consumer have a right to assume the product is too code?
Well I still think you can hold them to some of the fault, just takes the right wording in your e-mail to them.
Old 01-25-13, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
This being anywhere on earth, I think it's all about revenue.
I fixed it for you.
Old 01-26-13, 03:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

My guess is that this law has to do with the electronic plate readers installed on toll roads and bridges, police cars, and traffic lights.
Probably also has something to do with making your vehicle easily identifiable should it be involved in a crime.