Cycling on TV - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > General

General Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-22-13, 11:43

Default Cycling on TV

I have Sky Sports and British Eurosport and it is costing me a fortune.

I was going to cancel Sky Sports, to save myself a few hundred euro per year. But I don't want to miss any cycling.

Can I expect them to have coverage of any races in addition to the Tour Down Under this season?

I have tried googling, but no joy. All I know for sure is that Eurosport are showing Qatar again this year.
Old 01-22-13, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmaher View Post
I have Sky Sports and British Eurosport and it is costing me a fortune.

I was going to cancel Sky Sports, to save myself a few hundred euro per year. But I don't want to miss any cycling.

Can I expect them to have coverage of any races in addition to the Tour Down Under this season?

I have tried googling, but no joy. All I know for sure is that Eurosport are showing Qatar again this year.

More cycling on Sky Sports? No chance. Wait until the TDU has finished then cancel the sports package.

It grieves me too, just paying for the HD/multiroom option, so as to cover all Eurosport's cycling options.

When you phone them to cancel, chances are they will offer you some sort of a discount deal. The more determine you are to cancel, the more you are likely to be offered.
I currently get 75% off multiroom, 50% off films, for instance. Have to go through the same process, next month.
Old 01-22-13, 15:05

Yes, will cancel Sky Sports after the TDU. I just don't want to miss the serious races later this season if they move from Eurosport to Sky, but I guess I can just get Sky back. Imagine not being able to watch the Ports Classic and Tour of Turkey?
Old 01-22-13, 17:33

Eurosport are covering all of what they did last year plus E3 and one of the minor Belgian stage races (the final day of 3 Days of De Panne). British Eurosport are apparently likely to cover Romandie and Tour de Suisse, which International isn't.

It's a pain in the bahookie that Sky have TDU (Murdoch connection?). I cancelled Sky Sports a few months back as I wasn't watching it - 250pa just for TDU? Nah.
Old 01-22-13, 20:14

Its kind of odd that Sky sponsor British cycling as well as team Sky but dont really show any cycling apart from the TDU.
Old 01-22-13, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamp78 View Post
Its kind of odd that Sky sponsor British cycling as well as team Sky but dont really show any cycling apart from the TDU.
I think they show a crit series don't they?
Old 01-22-13, 23:53

I think that might be on ITV4. If its the domestic British Series sponsored by Halfords. Even highlights of the three grand tours and the tour of britain (live) are on ITV4 rather than sky sports
Old 01-23-13, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamp78 View Post
I think that might be on ITV4. If its the domestic British Series sponsored by Halfords. Even highlights of the three grand tours and the tour of britain (live) are on ITV4 rather than sky sports
Eurosport have the bulk of the UK media contracts though FTA seems to be ITV, having shown, either highlights or live, Tour of Britain, TDU, Paris-Nice, Tour and Vuelta last season. I don't recall Giro highlights though, could be wrong.

Having checked, Sky showed British Cycling's Elite Series crit programme last year.

As noted, Sky having the one WT event is a total pest.

Last edited by argyllflyer; 01-23-13 at 08:10.
Old 01-23-13, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by argyllflyer View Post
Eurosport are covering all of what they did last year plus E3 and one of the minor Belgian stage races (the final day of 3 Days of De Panne). British Eurosport are apparently likely to cover Romandie and Tour de Suisse, which International isn't.

It's a pain in the bahookie that Sky have TDU (Murdoch connection?). I cancelled Sky Sports a few months back as I wasn't watching it - 250pa just for TDU? Nah.

This is very helpful. I will proceed with cancelling Sky. I am paying over 300 per month and now that the darts is over, I don't watch too much. There are only so many "massive" football matches I can take.
Old 01-23-13, 14:49

RAI Sport Due is showing TDU highlights every day http://www.rai.it/dl/rai/guidaProgrammi.html
Just move your dish they show nearly everything free to air