Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 479 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-23-13, 11:30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikohale View Post
WOW. He won the Tour without Contador and Schleck, with underpar Evans and on the wheel of his better team mate Froome, and of course in a course of so many TTs! Very good this Wiggo!
Yes. You're probably right.
TDF is often won by accident.
For example, Contador has won his first only after suspension of some notable favorites and exclusion of others. His second victory came after disobedience to team hierarchy. Evans has won his heavily defending, without a single attack. More over, there's Sastre's victory, as well as Pereiro's. And don't forget Schleck's one obtained by the green table.

On second thought, TDF is pure lottery.
Old 01-23-13, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikohale View Post
WOW. He won the Tour without Contador and Schleck, with underpar Evans and on the wheel of his better team mate Froome, and of course in a course of so many TTs! Very good this Wiggo!
He won't meet any of them in the Giro either. Contador could still show up there suddenly ofc.
However Nibali, Sanchez, Hesjedal etc. will never match Wiggins in his 2012 shape. His Giro support is probably the best one out there too.
Old 01-23-13, 11:43

When did this become a Wiggins thread? He has he own thread you know....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Travis you're my Hero!

Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."
Old 01-23-13, 12:08
Banned

In my view, some Contador fans has one phobia: they think the strength of the field is defined by Contador's presence exceptionally. It is not the case. A GT spectacle is Contador surely. But spectacle ≠ strength ≠ effectiveness. I don't know on what overly emotional level one should take cycling in order not to understand this.

Wiggins beat other guys probably with a bigger or the same edge in comparison how Contador did it in 2009. He smashed Nibali who IMO rode his stronger Grand Tour so far? And you dare say that he is not a factor just because Contador and Schleck were not there? In what year are you living?

Last edited by airstream; 01-23-13 at 12:15.
Old 01-23-13, 12:40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
In my view, some Contador fans has one phobia: they think the strength of the field is defined by Contador's presence exceptionally. It is not the case.

Wiggins beat other guys probably with a bigger or the same edge in comparison how Contador did it in 2009? He smashed Nibali who IMO rode his stronger Grand Tour so far? And you dare say that he is not a factor just because Contador and Schleck were not there? In what year are you living?
Everything evolves around Contador.
He's absolute point of reference for every categorical judgement. Even more, his presence determines existence of every important cycling quality in certain race, and often existence of a race itself.
Old 01-23-13, 12:57

Perhaps we can table the discussion of how AC wilts before the awesomeness that is "High Tempo" Wiggo until AC declares that he is actually riding the Giro.

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
Old 01-23-13, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
He's absolute point of reference for every categorical judgement. Even more, his presence determines existence of every important cycling quality in certain race, and often existence of a race itself.
For some maybe; for many that post here simply Not True and I'm tired of being lumped in with the few

Travis you're my Hero!

Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."
Old 01-23-13, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicus View Post
Perhaps we can table the discussion of how AC wilts before the awesomeness that is "High Tempo" Wiggo until AC declares that he is actually riding the Giro.
From both their published schedules they will have the opportunity to check each other out prior to the Giro.

AC will ride the Giro IF he thinks he can pull off the double and Riis is on board. Personally I don't want him to try it, but if he does both races will become more interesting due to his style of racing.

Travis you're my Hero!

Old 01-23-13, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
Perhaps you lost your way. You do realize this is the ALBERTO CONTADOR DISCUSSION thread? So that may explain why "everything [in this thread] evolves [sic] around Contador" and that "he's [sic] absolute point of reference for every categorical judgement [discussed in this thread]. Even more, [in discussions in this thread] his presence determines existence of every important cycling quality in certain race [sic], and often existence of a race itself."

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

Old 01-23-13, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
From both their published schedules they will have the opportunity to check each other out prior to the Giro.

AC will ride the Giro IF he thinks he can pull off the double and Riis is on board. Personally I don't want him to try it, but if he does both races will become more interesting due to his style of racing.
I'm mostly with you on this. Plus I'd like to see Majka get full support at the Giro to see what he can do.