1988 Tour: '' 7 Riders PDM Doped '' - Page 5 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-23-13, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Doopie View Post
i'm not sure how that follows. grewal was probably only able to be with bauer (the runaway pre-race favorite) because he was doped. if he weren't, there would have been no sprint and bauer would have arrived alone to win.
Fair enough. My bike racing history is far from perfect.
Old 01-23-13, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
Fair enough. My bike racing history is far from perfect.
cheers. can't believe bauer wasn't able to drop him as he caught him. that must haunt him to this day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tWg_CR43rg
Old 01-23-13, 20:15

Quote:
cheers. can't believe bauer wasn't able to drop him as he caught him. that must haunt him to this day.

Sadly Bauer was robbed several times in the last 200 meters. Worlds, Par Roubaix, Olympics, and at least a couple others. He could have / should have won more.

At least most believe as do I that he rode super clean in an era that got super dirty as his career came to its end.
Old 01-23-13, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
sounds to me like some idiot ramblings. I much rather take the words of someone like peter winnen serious. in fact show me some other riders giving simular statements regarding panasonic
X2. Hasnt Grewal been proven to be a liar in the past, or at the very least have a "fuzzy memory" of what's really happened?. Admittedly, I liked Grewal in the 80's and on 7 eleven, but I've read numerous interviews where he comes off as bitter, butthurt, and someone who tells tales.
Old 01-23-13, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortyninefourteen View Post
Before you make a bigger fool of yourself, read this excerpt from a Velonews essay Grewal wrote.

The fear of doping hit me for real the day I dropped into the continental professional scene. From day one with Panasonic-Raleigh it was made known that “The Program” was the high and holy way, salvation open to all, and required of all to survive and win. Faux doctors like Ruud Bakker, no more than pseudo-credentialed soigneurs, introduced me to the gospel of champions. That all of them said and took the Holy Vow. Team director Peter Post, as the high priest, intoned that I must listen to the “doctor” and submit to the “Preparation.” Our syringes came gift wrapped in the morning and evening during stage races, and in the 2007 Tour de France one of my former roommates sat behind the wheel of a team car pulling feathers out of his hair.
Curious, when you say "they were all taking it", do you mean just PDM, or every rider/team on tour at the time, which has been proven time and time again to be factually incorrect, so what do you mean?
Old 01-23-13, 20:50

Default Bauer and Hampsten

This news puts the performances of Steve Bauer and Andy Hampsten in even a better light. Since EPO's influence later ended their competitiveness, I've concluded they likely didn't dope, or at least as much.

The CBS Tour coverage of that year (watched it again recently) often portrayed Hampsten as being of lesser talent, while minimizing the issues surrounding Delgado's test and no mention of Theunisse's relegation. Even then, the media was an enabler of doping.
Old 01-23-13, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcg76 View Post
Former Panasonic rider Peter Winnen has talked about his doping in the past and never mentioned Blood doping. I guess that doesn't mean it didn't happen. After all when Rooks and Theunisee admitted, they never mentioned blood bags.

It seems that only Rooks and Theunisse were the only two to receive blood bags in 88. I am even surprised at that tbh but then PDM were at the forefront of doping it seems.
I am confused about the blood doping. I know Rooks talked about his doping and his later usage of EPO but did he ever mentioned blood doping in 88 and 89? why did he omit that? because of his podium being tarnished? he already had confessed to doping anyway.

It looks like that early form of blood doping was still rudimentary for the Tour (once at the beginning, or little amounts) since we did not see the big burst in the mountains that we saw in latter years. Even compared to the blood doping post 2001.
Old 01-23-13, 21:00

People seem to have hard time admitting EPO and blood doping. When it comes to EPO it's "at the end of my career", when it's now common knowledge that "everybody did it".

Nobody wants to admit they were among the first. And nobody wants to admit that they are only products of doping.
Old 01-23-13, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TDFWinner View Post
Curious, when you say "they were all taking it", do you mean just PDM, or every rider/team on tour at the time, which has been proven time and time again to be factually incorrect, so what do you mean?
I am not sure where you read me to be saying anything, or why you take the liberty of falsely quoting me.This is an excerpt from a Velonews article, so "I" am not saying anything.

However what Grewal is saying is consistent with what more and more ex-riders are saying today about what happened in that era. And that era started well before the PDM soigneur notebook pages got published.
Old 01-23-13, 21:25

Quote:

Yeah i have from a good source that Bauer said he could of dropped him but thought he would never beat him in the sprint...