Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 485 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-23-13, 21:55

He'll be competetive in Oman and he'll be his old self in Tirreno, you read it first
Old 01-23-13, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
How should I explain this I don't know, it's ridiculous. A few days ago Miburo I think was praising his base level
Why is this 'ridiculous' a 13th position finish when he isnt supposed to be close to remotely good form? Worries for nothing.. Unless you really expect him to win from 23-1 till 31-12.. :S
Old 01-23-13, 23:37
Banned

Reading the comments I've had impression Contador lost 13 minutes, instead he was thirteenth under a minute off of the winner and less than a half of a minute behind, supposed, Tour rivals.
Yes, it's different from what we've been used to, but he's taking it different as well. Riding every race to win is spending a racer, and while the body can tolerate the strain easier in twenties, thirties are signal to brake a bit in order to ride for most of the fourth decade.
Lets wait to see what he thinks about his own performance.
Old 01-23-13, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
Reading the comments I've had impression Contador lost 13 minutes, instead he was thirteenth under a minute off of the winner and less than a half of a minute behind, supposed, Tour rivals.
Yes, it's different from what we've been used to, but he's taking it different as well. Riding every race to win is spending a racer, and while the body can tolerate the strain easier in twenties, thirties are signal to brake a bit in order to ride for most of the fourth decade.
Lets wait to see what he thinks about his own performance.
In short it's way too early. These races didn't exist before globalization. Plus if he is intent on a Giro-Tour double, or even if not, he's smart in leaving a margin of improvement that would result in the current stage winner being 20 minutes, 30 behind in July. Especially because his major competition does likewise, and that's all that counts. At any rate, at least to be set for Tirreno-Adriatico.
Old 01-23-13, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havetts View Post
Why is this 'ridiculous' a 13th position finish when he isnt supposed to be close to remotely good form? Worries for nothing.. Unless you really expect him to win from 23-1 till 31-12.. :S
Only from 23-1 to 22-7
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 01-24-13, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havetts View Post
Because even when not in good form he should be able to do better. Besides he always did relatively well in the early season.
Old 01-24-13, 08:36

He says he had cramps, i'm gonna go with it lol
Old 01-24-13, 11:38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Wiggins was nothing short of impressive last year, however, it remains to be seen how he handles being put under real pressure in the mountains, and difficult ascents at that. It might be that he can diesel his way to limiting losses and damage control, enough to then take full advantage of expressing his potential in the TTs to win.
In my view, you take it easy too much. Wiggins is not just a diesel. Wiggins of 2012 is not Levi Leipheimer, early Evans. It is the strongest diesel of GT contenders. It is a type of climber we've never seen before maybe. Does elite climber have to be explosive to be a superclimber? Again, explosiveness is additional options, but it is not the result. Tactics of steady pursuit can reach brilliant results too. Discussing with you, we kind of hit invicible wall. You deify attacking style whereas it is just an instrument. Do you seriously think Contador would gain on Wiggins 3-4 minutes on the 2012 Giro climbs?

There was no gulf between climber Contador and climber Wiggins in 2009 yet. Оver the years years this gap has obviously reduced.

Quote:
Yet Contador has a class that permits him the luxury of repeated blistering attacks, which can unravel a rival like Wiggins if not absolutely on top of his game.
No climber is able to commit these blistering attacks 4-5 times in a GT, gaining much times in all of them. While on form, Wiggins can hold say 2 minutes obtained in TTs.

Quote:
Though it was never against a super Contador, or Shleck for that matter, which leaves some margin of doubt as to whether it would still be a recipe for success in such cases.
Do you admit variants that this not spectacular parade-like hated by many people cycling can not allow to be Contador and Schleck 'super'? I just believe numbers more than names and palmares. Based on the numbers, Sky were very strong in the Tour.

Quote:
In other words, is the difference in climbing ability between themselves such that, on a significantly harder climbing course, the Briton’s ability at fortuitous damage control is marginally greater to overcome his rivals’ superiority in accelerated uphill stamina?
I don't understand why you throw away the fact that superclimber is always able to defend himself in a steady tempo. Accelerations never last really long. It lasts 200-300 meters and then a time trial in a road race starts virtually. Yes, naturally, inherit climber can fire again and again, but this manner is fraught with its disadvantages too, because a climber can not rider steadily.

Quote:
Ok, a Wiggins of the same form in last year’s Tour at the 2011 Giro against a Contador in the same form that year, given the differences in parcours, has no shot at winning. This is what I meant by the type of course, all things else being equal, plays a hand in the outcome of the event, because it can play favorably to one rider's strengths, while penalizing another's weaknesses. (And vice versa of course).
I didn't mean routes that contradistinguish so much. Parcours is relevant and Wiggins wouldn't have won the Giro 2011 Giro. But say I don't see principal differences in parcours of Tours since 2003 up to the present times. My parcours thesis related to comparison between the 2012 Tour and the 2013 Giro. The Giro parcours lowers Wiggins chances, but don't neutralizes them.

Quote:
however, given Froome out-classing him in the mountains (which weren't very hard as far as mountains at the Tour go) is a matter which is entirely up for debate.
How much stronger was Froome if he could have raced for himself is for debate too. There was no shame to be beaten by Froome at all. He is not an accidental man. He is new superstar, a climber of Schleck's and Contador's calibre.

Last edited by airstream; 01-24-13 at 16:34.
Old 01-24-13, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Because even when not in good form he should be able to do better. Besides he always did relatively well in the early season.
I think you're starting to agree with me...
Old 01-24-13, 12:37

If one's goal is to do well in the Giro and the Tour, it seems that it would be logical to alter their preparation and come into the season below the form of previous years. To expect him to be blasting everyone off of his wheel this early with such an ambitious season ahead is not the thinking of a rational mind.