The Rapha hater thread - Page 35 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #341  
Old 01-13-13, 14:41
Bustedknuckle's Avatar
Bustedknuckle Bustedknuckle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USofA
Posts: 1,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugHugger View Post
Both Assos and Rapha are expensive. Do they offer a better than average fit and materials? Yes. Do you prefer Assos' techno look or Rapha's 'heritage' look? Make your choice. In the summer I occasionally ride with white collar professionals bedecked in these brands on pristine Italian frames. I ride 52 weeks of the year head to toe in Rapha gear acquired over the last 8 years or so. My original bibs are still going strong and were repaired for free when some of the detail stitching came loose last year. After 20+ years of riding almost every mtb and road brand available, nothing fits better than Rapha. Some people are too quick to judge based purely on appearance and marketing alone.
I agree..don't get it, the people that 'hate' Rapha(big word-hate).

As for Torm and what Rapha 'should' cost..let the market decide. Rapha is HUGE, Torm could learn a few things from Rapha and how they are marketed.

Do like this one-

http://www.torm.cc/t12.html

But generally, their marketing and product smack of 'boredom'.
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 01-23-13, 10:45
Fenald Fenald is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Russia
Posts: 16
Default

Hello,

Greetings to all of you. I am a new member here. hope all friends will cooperate with me in this community.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 01-23-13, 10:58
Joachim Joachim is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle View Post
I agree..don't get it, the people that 'hate' Rapha(big word-hate).

As for Torm and what Rapha 'should' cost..let the market decide. Rapha is HUGE, Torm could learn a few things from Rapha and how they are marketed.

Do like this one-

http://www.torm.cc/t12.html

But generally, their marketing and product smack of 'boredom'.
In what way does marketing affect the physical qualities of a product?

Surely, an intelligent person disregards the marketing and assess the product on its own merits?
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 01-23-13, 14:16
Bustedknuckle's Avatar
Bustedknuckle Bustedknuckle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USofA
Posts: 1,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
In what way does marketing affect the physical qualities of a product?

Surely, an intelligent person disregards the marketing and assess the product on its own merits?
The marketing department at Nike spends on the order of a $1,000,000,000+ per year.

Trek and Specialized have huge marketing budgets as well. In a perfect world, one would assess the product on it's own merits but marketing is a very strong force when it comes to 'selling'.

Look at magazines, website, THIS website..and all the banners..marketing is very big.
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 01-24-13, 01:03
Wallace's Avatar
Wallace Wallace is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle View Post
The marketing department at Nike spends on the order of a $1,000,000,000+ per year.

Trek and Specialized have huge marketing budgets as well. In a perfect world, one would assess the product on it's own merits but marketing is a very strong force when it comes to 'selling'.

Look at magazines, website, THIS website..and all the banners..marketing is very big.
Best proof the Rapha marketing is working? This thread.
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 01-24-13, 10:43
gaz0303 gaz0303 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Is there any detail on the provenance of Rapha merino wool or Torn wool? Merino wool has huge variations in specs and price and may account for price differences and product quality. If you want quality and a different marketing spin, I like Icebreaker jerseys. Haven't tried their knicks yet.
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 01-24-13, 15:25
Boeing's Avatar
Boeing Boeing is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Best proof the Rapha marketing is working? This thread.
that and Team Sky. Who's helped them finance that move? damn ?
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 01-24-13, 16:38
Race Radio's Avatar
Race Radio Race Radio is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,144
Default

Expect some will find this interesting

http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/20...o-washing.html

Interview with Rapha lead designer about Sky kit
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 02-16-13, 16:45
alitogata's Avatar
alitogata alitogata is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Athens
Posts: 273
Default

What is the point of hating a brand when you can always buy something else?
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 02-16-13, 23:37
Bespoke's Avatar
Bespoke Bespoke is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitogata View Post
What is the point of hating a brand when you can always buy something else?
Well, for one, we wouldn't have this entertaining thread.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.