Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-22-13, 19:01

So happy after Sundays games. I really would have liked to see both the 49ers and Falcons to lose but out of the two I dislike the Falcons the most. Maybe next year Falcons......errrrrrr NOT. I am sure someone will say oh but "Smith deserves to win another playoff game" blah blah blah.....They suck azzz.

Ravens over NewEngland was a little bit of a shock for me. I just kept waiting for Flaco to ruin it.

I look forward to the Superbowl and in the end I will be rooting for the Ravens.
Old 01-23-13, 18:13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Wilson View Post
Maybe next year Falcons......errrrrrr NOT. I am sure someone will say oh but "Smith deserves to win another playoff game" blah blah blah...
You left out Tony Gonzalez deserves a ring.

Seriously, briefly thought of you when the Falcons were walking out with their tail between their legs. Talented team, if opportunistic. Overrated coach. People may be surprised to hear this, but I wouldn't be shocked if they miss the playoffs next year, or even finish third in the NFC South. The Saints are going to be highly motivated (and have an actual quality coach back) and the Panthers are loaded with young talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
Anyone who doesn't recognize that, for whatever reasons, whether earthly or some form of cosmic intervention, the Ravens are on a serious roll, is deluding themselves.
They definitely are on a roll. They are healthy, and peaking at the right time. And they are on an emotional high. At the start of the season I noted that the Ravens had a history of being able to plug holes of missing players with new players who quickly adapt. They have done that again this year, especially as the season wore on. On paper it looks like the 49ers have more firepower and should win. But that was the case with the Broncos and Patriots too. It would be a big, big mistake to write the Ravens off, and no one should be surprised if they win, even if it's by double digits.

I like both teams and would be okay if the Ravens win, but will be rooting for the 49ers. Mostly just want to see a great game.
Old 01-24-13, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
You left out Tony Gonzalez deserves a ring.

Seriously, briefly thought of you when the Falcons were walking out with their tail between their legs. Talented team, if opportunistic. Overrated coach. People may be surprised to hear this, but I wouldn't be shocked if they miss the playoffs next year, or even finish third in the NFC South. The Saints are going to be highly motivated (and have an actual quality coach back) and the Panthers are loaded with young talent.

They definitely are on a roll. They are healthy, and peaking at the right time. And they are on an emotional high. At the start of the season I noted that the Ravens had a history of being able to plug holes of missing players with new players who quickly adapt. They have done that again this year, especially as the season wore on. On paper it looks like the 49ers have more firepower and should win. But that was the case with the Broncos and Patriots too. It would be a big, big mistake to write the Ravens off, and no one should be surprised if they win, even if it's by double digits.

I like both teams and would be okay if the Ravens win, but will be rooting for the 49ers. Mostly just want to see a great game.
I would like the 49ers if they had a different coach. I just don't like the coach, and wish that Detroit Lions coach would have punched him in his face a couple of years back.

The Ravens look like they are playing good at the right time.

It should be a good Superbowl. I will enjoy the game regardless of the winner.

Oh and I did feel bad or do feel bad for Gonzalez. He played his heart out for the Chief's and I am sure when he got traded to the Falcons he thought there might be a real chance to go far in the post season. He just got traded to the wrong team. The Falcons got lucky against the Seahawks and that was exposed with the 49ers. Mattie Ice is ....ummmm errrr....ON ICE after that sack that made him whimper.

Last edited by Glenn_Wilson; 01-24-13 at 09:56.
Old 01-24-13, 21:25
Administrator

Now, for some non-SB news:

First, Tim Brown has stated that Bill Callahan "sabotaged" Superbowl XXXVII when the Raiders were easily beaten by the Buccaneers. Anyone who remembers that game has to think the outcome was a bit strange and Brown has somewhat of a point in that the Raiders had been pounding out teams with the run early behind a huge OL, then passing when needed behind Gannon's accuracy. Only in this game they rarely ran, and Gannon threw 5 picks (after throwing only 7 all season long). Still, to say Callahan sabotaged it because he was friends with Gruden and hated Al Davis is a bit much. The fact that pro-bowler Barrett Robbins was AWOL and missed the game was a harbinger. Also, the claim that Callahan changed the playbook at the last minute is an interesting argument considering for years people said he didn't change it enough after Gruden left, allowing Gruden to figure out their plays. Gruden's comment on Brown's claim? "Give me a break."

Now, for even more amusing news. JaMarcus Russell says he wants to come back. Says he's tired of being an embarrassment and the laughing stock of draft busts. He is working out with Marshall Faulk and Jeff Garcia and says he is serious. On the positive side he's only 27. On the negative, he's still over 300lbs, and been out for three years, and never shown the mental fortitude to excel as an NFL QB. Today's young QB, the QB of the future perhaps, are QB's like Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, RG3, where they are total students of the game, smart, focused, constantly looking to improve. Does this sound like Russell?
Old 01-24-13, 22:44

The next day Tim Brown backed away from his comments. And for good reason, as you point out.

In any case, I’d say the biggest NFL news this week is this:

Quote:
Five former NFL players, each of them still living, reportedly have been diagnosed with a marker for chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), the brain disease associated with dementia, memory loss and depression…

UCLA researchers used a brain-imaging tool, which detected a protein that causes CTE.

"The findings are preliminary -- we only had five players -- but if they hold up in future studies, this may be an opportunity to identify CTE before players have symptoms so we can develop preventative treatment," Dr. Gary W. Small, the study's lead author, was quoted as saying in the ESPN.com report.

The findings were published Tuesday in the American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry.
This is potentially huge, and might apply to others sports, e.g., boxing, as well. Imagine being able to tell an athlete with a fairly high degree of certainty, “If you continue to play, you will some day suffer so much brain damage that you won’t be able to take care of yourself. You need to take action now.”

However, even if the screen is validated, it will still be up to the players to act on the information. Roddy White recently tweeted that if he couldn’t walk when he was fifty, it would still be worth it (and this is a guy who is NOT going to the SB!)
Old 01-25-13, 21:20
Administrator

I'm reminded of the question asked of Olympic athletes if they could take a pill that would shorten their lives in order to win a medal. But I do see a test like this appearing in the future, with a lot of legal waivers to be signed as well. But that still doesn't address some of the other questions and pressures about playing when hurt and other pain killers.

Meanwhile, another article on the 2000 killings surrounding Ray Lewis. One of his co-defendants has spoke out, though it's hard to know how much of the truth he is stating.

I should note that while I think Ray has completely turned his life around, he should answer some of the questions that remain, and speak more about it in detail.
Old 01-27-13, 23:57

Some SB-related news:

The 49ers have to be breathing a little easier, now that the police have announced that Michael Crabtree will not be charged (“at this time”) with sexual assault. So he will play, and presumably will not be distracted. The two Smiths have two more weeks to heal, so the defense should be better, too.

There are seventeen teams that have appeared in more than one SB; Baltimore will be the eighteenth. The 49ers are the only one of those teams that has never lost a SB (5-0). If they lose, the Ravens will become the only team to win more than one SB and not lose any.

Question: Why is Tim Tebow made the **** of jokes for flaunting his religion, while Ray Lewis, doing essentially the same thing, is respected as a sage? Yeah, Tebow can't hold Lewis' jock strap as a player, and I guess Lewis at least doesn't bow on the field, but really, is this Bible stuff any more profound just because a guy from a dark background spouts it?

Astonishing stat: If the Ravens win, Joe Flacco, after just five years, will have as many postseason wins as Peyton Manning. The secret to his success is simple: not only have the Ravens made the postseason every year he has been QB, but unlike one-and-done Manning, they have always advanced at least one round. I think this guy could end up with more postseason wins than Brady.

For any of you betting on the game, and want to go beyond the usual win/lose, spread, over/under, here’s a hot tip: Las Vegas has listed 5-1 odds that Alex Smith will not take a snap. I don’t bet on games ordinarily, but this one is tempting. Bet $100 and win $500 if Alex gets into the game.

Kaepernick could be injured—not necessarily in a leave-the-game manner, but just temporarily shaken up after, say, being crunched by Bernie Pollard on one of his runs—and Smith sent in temporarily. Or the Niners could have a comfortable lead near the end of the game, and Smith is sent in to take the final snaps. Granted, that didn’t happen against GB, when the 49ers led by two TDs and Kaepernick took two final knees (subtracting from his QB rushing record), but the SB is special, and I would think Harbaugh would want Smith to appear in it if it the outcome is decided. I remember that in at least two of the 49ers previous SB victories this happened. Matt Cavanaugh replaced Montana in SB 19, and Steve Young (who almost certainly could have won the SB on his own, anyway) replaced Montana in SB 24. IIRC, they didn’t just take a knee, either, but actually ran some plays. Granted, I don't expect the 49ers to win this game by a margin approaching that of either of those two SBs.

Speaking of Bernie Pollard, he tells it like it is:

Quote:
"The league is trying to move in the right direction [with player safety]," he said, "but, at the same time, [coaches] want bigger, stronger and faster year in and year out. And that means you're going to keep getting big hits and concussions and blown-out knees. The only thing I'm waiting for ... and, Lord, I hope it doesn't happen ... is a guy dying on the field. We've had everything else happen there except for a death. We understand what we signed up for, and it sucks.

"Like I said, I pray it never happens, but you've got guys who are 350 pounds running 4.5 and 4.4s, and these owners and coaches want scout-run blockers and linemen to move walls. At the same time, they tell you, 'Don't hit here, and don't hit there, or we'll take your money.' Like I said, I hope I'm wrong, but I just believe one day there's going to be a death that takes place on the field because of the direction we're going."
As the title of the linked article suggests, NFL may come to stand for "not for long". As the game can't continue with all these injuries, but if it has to be radically revised to prevent them, it may lose a lot of fan interest.
Old 01-28-13, 19:22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
Question: Why is Tim Tebow made the **** of jokes for flaunting his religion, while Ray Lewis, doing essentially the same thing, is respected as a sage?
I agree with you. And one thing I also like about Tebow is that he doesn't seem to be that bothered by people heckling him for it, which to me shows that his faith is true.

I still like Tim and think he can be a starting NFL Quarterback. He would need to find the right team, and work hard in the off-season with QB coaches, mostly working on his reads and throwing motion. But I still think he has what it takes to be at least decent, if in the right situation. I feel like he was maybe getting there with Denver, but the Jets completely wasted him. He likely took a big step backwards there.

Quote:
Astonishing stat: If the Ravens win, Joe Flacco, after just five years, will have as many postseason wins as Peyton Manning...
Win or lose, unless he completely blows the game, this guy needs to start getting a lot more credit. Sure, maybe his first year or two was riding the Ravens defense coattails. But somewhat last year, and definitely this year, the team placed a lot upon his arm and he delivered. He has one of the strongest arms in the league, and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Quote:
...here’s a hot tip: Las Vegas has listed 5-1 odds that Alex Smith will not take a snap. I don’t bet on games ordinarily, but this one is tempting. Bet $100 and win $500 if Alex gets into the game.
I can definitely see him playing, even if taking garbage snaps, or a trick play. I think partly because Harbaugh owes it to him, really. He lacks the dynamic of Kaepernick, but Alex was the top rated passer in the league when pulled and is arguably the most accurate QB in the NFL. I actually think the 49ers could win the SB with Alex starting, unless they got more than two scores behind. I'd still like to see him in Arizona next year, but we'll see.
Quote:
I remember that in at least two of the 49ers previous SB victories this happened. Matt Cavanaugh replaced Montana in SB 19, and Steve Young (who almost certainly could have won the SB on his own, anyway) replaced Montana in SB 24
Bernie Kosar took a one garbage snap for the Cowboys in SB XXVIII, taking a knee on the last play. When later asked he said he felt great about it, because he knows he contributed during the entire season (which he did, playing well in several games as a backup). At the very least, I can see Harbaugh doing this with Smith, unless Alex tells him "no thanks." Personally, I'm with Kosar.

As an aside, Kosar recently underwent special intravenous treatment to increase blood flow, oxygen and nutrients to the brain in order to combat lingering effects of brain trauma from his NFL years. Kosar said he suffered at least 12 concussions in his career, and who knows how many minor, or undiagnosed concussions. It's of course hard to quantify that this treatment is medically helping him, but he says it definitely is. Even if it's a placebo, I hope so. Having seen him on ESPN's 30 for 30 and how his estranged father swindled him for much of his fortune, the guy deserves a good life in retirement.

Last edited by Alpe d'Huez; 01-31-13 at 16:28.
Old 01-30-13, 19:32

OMG... Freak Show.

I just watch NFL live a little and can just shake my head. Eli talks, you get problems to understand him. He belongs to the "jaw thread" in the clinic. A kid on HGH trying to get bigger. Just ugly.
... And then there is Ray Lewis, his team is using the Armstrong excuse "never tested positive". When i heard it i almost threw my food over. Comedy.

Some people do everything to get rich. Thanks god i don´t believe in miracles, especially not in the super suspect Mannings...

Enjoy the Superbowl... Flacco MVP, BAL wins 34-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose McKnuckles View Post
Horner was winning races since the beginning of his career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Was he? What had he won by Froome's age? A stage of the Tour du Pont and the Lancaster Classic. Wow!
Horner is starting GT success at age 38...
Old 01-31-13, 16:41
Administrator

While I will be cheering for the 49ers, I too could see that outcome, simply because the Ravens are on a serious roll, and healthy.

Curious though that you are going so far against the odds, even Vegas odds which have SF favored by 4-5 pts. I have to admit, if I were a betting man I'd put money on Baltimore (and on Alex Smith playing).

As to Ray Lewis, well, what did you expect?! Amani Toomer was saying Lewis was becoming a caricature of himself. Interesting viewpoint. As an aside to this, I wonder if it's going to be a distraction for Baltimore, all this focus on Lewis. While the 49ers simply go about their business. Or is this something that the Ravens will just shrug off? Superbowl lore is filled with side stories like this.