Marco Pantani? - Page 15 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-24-13, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
As to the original inquiry, this should give some indication as to why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FVOHIaxgro

Ahhhh the sheer exuberance of taking flight from earthly shackles brings joy to the heart and tears to the eyes. There will never be another like Il Pirata the ultimate in panache!!!!

May he rest in the peace he never found even while he delighted everyone who loves cycling. He is dreadfully missed......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Old 01-24-13, 08:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
Ahhhh the sheer exuberance of taking flight from earthly shackles brings joy to the heart and tears to the eyes. There will never be another like Il Pirata the ultimate in panache!!!!

May he rest in the peace he never found even while he delighted everyone who loves cycling. He is dreadfully missed......
There was something jarringly cubist, like Picasso, in the way he would just shoot out, from 15th position, during the most reckless and impossible moments, always defying the usual laws of form and space, and then there was the relentless progression. I have never before, nor since, seen such feats of pure vertical power and stamina. When the others were stretched to their absolute limits, he would turn it up a bit more, then a lot more, then, except on rare occassions, not back of, or relent. He seemed to defy gravity and human locomotion. The Italian comported himself like a rider from a bygone era, with alarming spontaneity and brazenness, which drove his rivals crazy, because you could never predict what Pantini was going to do. At the same time he was the most current and progressive showman on two wheels at the time. Then, of course, he was just really, really strong and unexpectedly tough as nails for one in other ways so fragile.

Last edited by rhubroma; 01-24-13 at 08:52.
Old 01-24-13, 10:30

Remember the 1998 Giro, with Pantani and Bartoli attacking each other on every hill, trying to prove who was the greatest Italian rider of the time?
Old 01-24-13, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
Remember the 1998 Giro, with Pantani and Bartoli attacking each other on every hill, trying to prove who was the greatest Italian rider of the time?
I miss those days every day. now we have nibali, cunego... nobody personalities, that never take any risks
Old 01-24-13, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by plooton View Post
I am not Italian knowing very little about his "story", so it may be the reason I have no special interest in him (and his legacy). Just in a sense like Armstrong was cheater wit 7 TdF titles, while Il Pirata only one Giro title. But can understand for many he can represent the Rebel without a cause.
comments like this make me very angry. pantani was fysically the greatest climber speciment we will probably ever see. he was already dropping pro riders on training as a junior. there's even video of him on youtube as a 19 year old murdering elite and pro riders in a race. those were the 80s, where he certainly wasn't doped in. if we would've never seen epo in the early 90s, than pantani would've dominated every mountain for nearly 15 years.
Old 01-24-13, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
comments like this make me very angry. pantani was fysically the greatest climber speciment we will probably ever see. he was already dropping pro riders on training as a junior. there's even video of him on youtube as a 19 year old murdering elite and pro riders in a race. those were the 80s, where he certainly wasn't doped in. if we would've never seen epo in the early 90s, than pantani would've dominated every mountain for nearly 15 years.
So true; he was in a class all his own naturally !!!

Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Old 01-24-13, 14:25

Quote:
I have a friend who road on the same amateur team as Pantani and said he was the strongest rider he had ever seen.
Old 01-25-13, 02:09

Quote:
Indeed. This is why Ventoux, 2000 TdF was the last straw for me as far as Armstrong was concerned. To see LA in a drag race with Pantani looking totally comfortable erased all doubt from my mind about USPS.

The way Pantani flew up those mountains was poetry in motion. In recent days only Contador and Moncoutie come close IMO.
Old 01-25-13, 10:39

in 2000 though the coke adiction of pantani already had it's major toll on his body.
Old 01-26-13, 02:22

Plus, he hadn't really had a proper racing calendar or preparation in a year. It's some sort of miracle he was able to perform at that level at the 2000 Tour. Even more amazing that as late as the 2003 Giro he could show a rather decent level. Says a lot about his talent.