1988 Tour: '' 7 Riders PDM Doped '' - Page 8 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-24-13, 14:55
Administrator

EDIT: looks like RR beat me to the scoop on LeMond in 1988.

As to Bishop, he's a straight shooter and been outspoken against doping. I'd like to hear his take as well.

Last edited by Alpe d'Huez; 01-24-13 at 15:02.
Old 01-24-13, 15:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
Ethanks for the link, good read. It was in 89 that Greg broke contract, as I said earlier, he was still out of the 88 tour recovering from the hunting accident.

Besides, this should further cement proof Greg has never doped. He raced clean, and remained steadfast on that, thats why he's such a class act and SHOULD be hailed as a hero imo.
"According to Mrs LeMond, Armstrong said: "There's no way you could have won your Tour de Frances without EPO." And Greg got very angry and said, "Listen, I won my - I was third in 1984, I was second in 1985, I won in 1986. This type of drug did not exist.The difference between you and me is that I have a 95 VO2 max and you have an 82, and you're - you don't - basically you don't know what you're talking about."(Proving Wonderboy is a clueless, lying POS)
Old 01-24-13, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TDFWinner View Post
Ethanks for the link, good read. It was in 89 that Greg broke contract, as I said earlier, he was still out of the 88 tour recovering from the hunting accident.

Besides, this should further cement proof Greg has never doped. He raced clean, and remained steadfast on that, thats why he's such a class act and SHOULD be hailed as a hero imo.
For sure.

10 chara.........
Old 01-24-13, 16:41

Quote:

Indeed, that article reads very well for Lemond in terms of being clean.
Now we just need Janssen's information about all other riders he has "helped".
Old 01-24-13, 16:45

Quote:

There is more to this story. PDM pushed Greg to dope. When he resisted they started calling him un-professional. Later Greg left a note on the sun shade of Harry's car

Quote:
"Harry, f*ck you! I'm maybe not a professional in your eyes, but I'll show you. you are f*cking wrong"
Old 01-24-13, 16:57
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
There is more to this story. PDM pushed Greg to dope. When he resisted they started calling him un-professional. Later Greg left a note on the sun shade of Harry's car
Wow. Did Greg speak out about this at the time?
Old 01-24-13, 17:17

What a peculiar moment to hand this 25 years old document to a journalist.

Before I opened this thread, I didn't realise Lemond was that year in the PDM team.
Old 01-24-13, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totilas View Post
What a peculiar moment to hand this 25 years old document to a journalist.

Before I opened this thread, I didn't realise Lemond was that year in the PDM team.
Old 01-24-13, 18:44

Quote:

Lemond must have felt like he was living in a nightmare, by the sounds of it.

http://www.bikeradar.com/blog/articl...-lemond-23025/

Quote:
After my two years with La Vie Claire, then after Toshiba had dumped me after my hunting accident, I had a two-year contract with PDM that my dad had negotiated on the day of my second operation in 1987. One of the conditions in the PDM deal was that I had to be racing by the end of 1987 but, if you knew what had happened to me, that was insane. My way around it was to show up to a criterium in Belgium at the end of the season and do one lap. That was it. I pretended that I had a flat tyre.

With PDM, I was supposed to earn US$200,000 in 1988 and double that in 1989. Unfortunately I started horribly in ’88 and injured my tendon. They then put me in a cast. To me that didn’t sound like the right thing to do, so I took it upon myself to call an orthopedic surgeon, who confirmed my suspicion. I then went home in June and went on anti-inflammatories for six weeks. I couldn’t pedal. Finally, on July 12th, they made an incision into my tendon and I was back on the bike in tennis shoes the next day, and with my cycling shoes three weeks later.

I’d now had almost two years without any racing, but PDM wanted to throw me right back in at the Tour of Holland. I lasted two days, and that’s when the trouble with the team really started. To my mind the problems stemmed from Gert-Jan Theunisse’s positive test, or more specifically my reaction to it, which was to tell the management that whoever had given him the drugs should be fired and the same applied to Theunisse. I liked Gert but I didn’t want to be associated with any kind of doping.

Of course this was never made public, which gave them the license to start rumours about me bad-mouthing the other riders and asking for a pay-raise. They were all saying 'How dare he ask for a pay-raise when he’s had no results and he never trains?'

It became clear to everyone at this point that it wasn’t going to work, so I started quietly asking around at other teams, knowing that it’d suit all parties if I could leave PDM. I went to Fagor to do a VO2 Max test and scored 77 or 79, with zero training and the iron stocks in my body totally depleted by the accident. My right lung was also collapsed. But they weren’t interested. They said I didn’t have the potential to win another Tour.
Old 01-24-13, 19:05
Banned

I can see why Armstrong resented the way LeMond immediately talked publicly upon learning about his connection to Dr Ferrari, but kept his own team's doping out of the media when he was riding.