Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-24-13, 19:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo View Post
You don't half talk some shiite at times.
GT didn't even ride a Spring classic, last year, due to the Olympics.
That 10th place was the best 10th place I've seen in a long while.
A clear indicator of real potential.

I don't get this: "use one good rider to knock another good rider" logic, either.

So, I'll assume it's the usual Boonan cobbles and Gilbert hills, bias.
The guy has ridden numerous Monuments already and so far has one tenth place to show for it. You don't hear people bringing up Staf Scheirlinck's performance of the Ronde van Vlaanderen that year all the time like they do with GT.

So far, he has failed numerous times already in Paris-Roubaix and only finished once, in a 64th place. I find the "but he always crashes" excuse hilarious because an expert in Roubaix knows how to avoid most crashes and flat tires.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 01-24-13, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Yeah and you can't look at results because GT has none in the classics besides one tenth place.

Oh, and you were the one that brought up the results from EBH, not me.
Quote:
Geraint Thomas' results in Roubaix or even worse than EBH.
I guess you are both blind and stupid
Old 01-24-13, 19:29

Quote:
The guy has ridden numerous Monuments already and so far has one tenth place to show for it. You don't hear people bringing up Staf Scheirlinck's performance of the Ronde van Vlaanderen that year all the time like they do with GT.

So far, he has failed numerous times already in Paris-Roubaix and only finished once, in a 64th place. I find the "but he always crashes" excuse hilarious because an expert in Roubaix knows how to avoid most crashes and flat tires.
Lol. He only took the race seriously once. In 2011...

So you're telling me Boonen never crashed at PR or punctured in his first attempts ? Trolololo ...

Freaking hell, twice riding Paris - Roubaix as Pro is now called ''numerous'' ...... LOL! never thought you could make me laugh as much as this

Last edited by Gloin22; 01-24-13 at 19:34.
Old 01-24-13, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Lol. He only took the race seriously once. In 2011...

So you're telling me Boonen never crashed at PR or punctured ? Trolololo ...

Freaking hell, twice riding Paris - Roubaix as Pro is now called ''numerous'' ...... LOL! never thought you could make me laugh as much as this
Barely ever, only in 2011. What trololol? Watch a bike race.

I'm starting to believe GT doesn't take racing seriously at all if you are to be believed. Why didn't he take it seriously in 2010? What's he being paid for? Acting like a clown on the road?

I'm not a native English speaker, so I used the word "numerous" in a wrong way, sue me. I'd like to see you speak a different language, maybe we can join in on the laughs then.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 01-24-13 at 19:40.
Old 01-24-13, 19:40

Quote:
Barely ever, only in 2011.

I'm starting to believe GT doesn't take racing seriously at all if you are to be believed.

I'm not a native English speaker, so I used the word "numerous" in a wrong way, sue me.
Exactly, the version Thomas fell and punctured too..

Neither I am Riding Robuaix only 2 times is not great deal and he's still much too learn. Why you sound like if he rode PR lots of times and always failed...
But he definitely has the potential to be good there. Chavanel wasn't a great cobbler until his late 20's. Who says Thomas can't be similar ?

Last edited by Gloin22; 01-24-13 at 19:45.
Old 01-24-13, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Exactly, the version Thomas fell and punctured too..

Neither I am Riding Robuaix only 2 times is not great deal and he's still much too learn. But he definitely has the potential to be good there. Chavanel wasn't a great cobbler until his late 20's. Who says Thomas can't be similar ?
Chavanel still isn't great in Roubaix. Only in the Ronde. And he tried focusing on Grand Tours for a large portion of his career(until he joined QS). Unless GT decides to do the same, you can't compare them.

Boonen has however ridden Roubaix from 2002-2010 with barely any crashes or mechanical problems. 2011 his shape was poor compared to previous years and look at what happened.
Quote:
Old 01-24-13, 20:01

Quote:
Chavanel still isn't great in Roubaix. Only in the Ronde. And he tried focusing on Grand Tours for a large portion of his career(until he joined QS). Unless GT decides to do the same, you can't compare them.

Boonen has however ridden Roubaix from 2002-2010 with barely any crashes or mechanical problems. 2011 his shape was poor compared to previous years and look at what happened.
You are willing to excuse Chavanel because he had been concentrating on Grand Tours but you completely choose to ignore that Thomas has spent a lot of time concentrating on the track. We clearly haven't seen the best of him yet on the cobbles and he is going to be a contender in most of the cobbled races this year (obviously he still has a lot to prove against the likes of Boonen and Cancellara). You are right about PR though, Stannard will win that one.
Old 01-24-13, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie's eyesore View Post
You are willing to excuse Chavanel because he had been concentrating on Grand Tours but you completely choose to ignore that Thomas has spent a lot of time concentrating on the track. We clearly haven't seen the best of him yet on the cobbles and he is going to be a contender in most of the cobbled races this year (obviously he still has a lot to prove against the likes of Boonen and Cancellara). You are right about PR though, Stannard will win that one.
Chavanel was already 30 when he started focusing for real on the classics. Plus GT barely road any track in 2009-2011.

Chavanel was 29 years old when he first rode the Ronde van Vlaanderen. I ignore nothing.
Quote:

Last edited by El Pistolero; 01-24-13 at 20:18.
Old 01-24-13, 20:41

Quote:
Chavanel was already 30 when he started focusing for real on the classics. Plus GT barely road any track in 2009-2011.

Chavanel was 29 years old when he first rode the Ronde van Vlaanderen. I ignore nothing.
Clearly you ignore plenty. You choose to ignore the massive potential shown by Thomas in 2011 and the fact that that progress wasn't built on last year because of his focus on the track. You also ignore the fact that his performances this week suggest that he is riding better than ever. Your argument seems to be that because he hasn't podiumed in a monument before then he never will.
Old 01-24-13, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie's eyesore View Post
Clearly you ignore plenty. You choose to ignore the massive potential shown by Thomas in 2011 and the fact that that progress wasn't built on last year because of his focus on the track. You also ignore the fact that his performances this week suggest that he is riding better than ever. Your argument seems to be that because he hasn't podiumed in a monument before then he never will.
I didn't even say anything about him performing or not in the classics. Just that his hype is unwarranted as he hasn't really done much in the classics as of yet. EBH on the other hand has already proven more(Ryo and some others are claiming it's the opposite way).

Massive potential because he came tenth once in the Ronde? Pfft, please. Massive potential is being on the podium in your very first Roubaix.

As I said, he barely did any track in 2009-2011. His tenth place in the Ronde was good, but not worth talking about 2 years after the fact.
Quote:

Last edited by El Pistolero; 01-24-13 at 20:46.