Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-24-13, 19:21
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellow Velo View Post
You don't half talk some shiite at times.
GT didn't even ride a Spring classic, last year, due to the Olympics.
That 10th place was the best 10th place I've seen in a long while.
A clear indicator of real potential.

I don't get this: "use one good rider to knock another good rider" logic, either.

So, I'll assume it's the usual Boonan cobbles and Gilbert hills, bias.
The guy has ridden numerous Monuments already and so far has one tenth place to show for it. You don't hear people bringing up Staf Scheirlinck's performance of the Ronde van Vlaanderen that year all the time like they do with GT.

So far, he has failed numerous times already in Paris-Roubaix and only finished once, in a 64th place. I find the "but he always crashes" excuse hilarious because an expert in Roubaix knows how to avoid most crashes and flat tires.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-24-13, 19:23
Ryo Hazuki's Avatar
Ryo Hazuki Ryo Hazuki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Yeah and you can't look at results because GT has none in the classics besides one tenth place.

Oh, and you were the one that brought up the results from EBH, not me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Geraint Thomas' results in Roubaix or even worse than EBH.
I guess you are both blind and stupid
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-24-13, 19:29
Gloin22 Gloin22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
The guy has ridden numerous Monuments already and so far has one tenth place to show for it. You don't hear people bringing up Staf Scheirlinck's performance of the Ronde van Vlaanderen that year all the time like they do with GT.

So far, he has failed numerous times already in Paris-Roubaix and only finished once, in a 64th place. I find the "but he always crashes" excuse hilarious because an expert in Roubaix knows how to avoid most crashes and flat tires.
Lol. He only took the race seriously once. In 2011...

So you're telling me Boonen never crashed at PR or punctured in his first attempts ? Trolololo ...

Freaking hell, twice riding Paris - Roubaix as Pro is now called ''numerous'' ...... LOL! never thought you could make me laugh as much as this

Last edited by Gloin22; 01-24-13 at 19:34.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-24-13, 19:37
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Lol. He only took the race seriously once. In 2011...

So you're telling me Boonen never crashed at PR or punctured ? Trolololo ...

Freaking hell, twice riding Paris - Roubaix as Pro is now called ''numerous'' ...... LOL! never thought you could make me laugh as much as this
Barely ever, only in 2011. What trololol? Watch a bike race.

I'm starting to believe GT doesn't take racing seriously at all if you are to be believed. Why didn't he take it seriously in 2010? What's he being paid for? Acting like a clown on the road?

I'm not a native English speaker, so I used the word "numerous" in a wrong way, sue me. I'd like to see you speak a different language, maybe we can join in on the laughs then.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 01-24-13 at 19:40.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-24-13, 19:40
Gloin22 Gloin22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Barely ever, only in 2011.

I'm starting to believe GT doesn't take racing seriously at all if you are to be believed.

I'm not a native English speaker, so I used the word "numerous" in a wrong way, sue me.
Exactly, the version Thomas fell and punctured too..

Neither I am Riding Robuaix only 2 times is not great deal and he's still much too learn. Why you sound like if he rode PR lots of times and always failed...
But he definitely has the potential to be good there. Chavanel wasn't a great cobbler until his late 20's. Who says Thomas can't be similar ?

Last edited by Gloin22; 01-24-13 at 19:45.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-24-13, 19:42
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloin22 View Post
Exactly, the version Thomas fell and punctured too..

Neither I am Riding Robuaix only 2 times is not great deal and he's still much too learn. But he definitely has the potential to be good there. Chavanel wasn't a great cobbler until his late 20's. Who says Thomas can't be similar ?
Chavanel still isn't great in Roubaix. Only in the Ronde. And he tried focusing on Grand Tours for a large portion of his career(until he joined QS). Unless GT decides to do the same, you can't compare them.

Boonen has however ridden Roubaix from 2002-2010 with barely any crashes or mechanical problems. 2011 his shape was poor compared to previous years and look at what happened.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-24-13, 20:01
Bernie's eyesore's Avatar
Bernie's eyesore Bernie's eyesore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Chavanel still isn't great in Roubaix. Only in the Ronde. And he tried focusing on Grand Tours for a large portion of his career(until he joined QS). Unless GT decides to do the same, you can't compare them.

Boonen has however ridden Roubaix from 2002-2010 with barely any crashes or mechanical problems. 2011 his shape was poor compared to previous years and look at what happened.
You are willing to excuse Chavanel because he had been concentrating on Grand Tours but you completely choose to ignore that Thomas has spent a lot of time concentrating on the track. We clearly haven't seen the best of him yet on the cobbles and he is going to be a contender in most of the cobbled races this year (obviously he still has a lot to prove against the likes of Boonen and Cancellara). You are right about PR though, Stannard will win that one.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-24-13, 20:16
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie's eyesore View Post
You are willing to excuse Chavanel because he had been concentrating on Grand Tours but you completely choose to ignore that Thomas has spent a lot of time concentrating on the track. We clearly haven't seen the best of him yet on the cobbles and he is going to be a contender in most of the cobbled races this year (obviously he still has a lot to prove against the likes of Boonen and Cancellara). You are right about PR though, Stannard will win that one.
Chavanel was already 30 when he started focusing for real on the classics. Plus GT barely road any track in 2009-2011.

Chavanel was 29 years old when he first rode the Ronde van Vlaanderen. I ignore nothing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 01-24-13 at 20:18.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-24-13, 20:41
Bernie's eyesore's Avatar
Bernie's eyesore Bernie's eyesore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Chavanel was already 30 when he started focusing for real on the classics. Plus GT barely road any track in 2009-2011.

Chavanel was 29 years old when he first rode the Ronde van Vlaanderen. I ignore nothing.
Clearly you ignore plenty. You choose to ignore the massive potential shown by Thomas in 2011 and the fact that that progress wasn't built on last year because of his focus on the track. You also ignore the fact that his performances this week suggest that he is riding better than ever. Your argument seems to be that because he hasn't podiumed in a monument before then he never will.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-24-13, 20:44
El Pistolero's Avatar
El Pistolero El Pistolero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 14,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie's eyesore View Post
Clearly you ignore plenty. You choose to ignore the massive potential shown by Thomas in 2011 and the fact that that progress wasn't built on last year because of his focus on the track. You also ignore the fact that his performances this week suggest that he is riding better than ever. Your argument seems to be that because he hasn't podiumed in a monument before then he never will.
I didn't even say anything about him performing or not in the classics. Just that his hype is unwarranted as he hasn't really done much in the classics as of yet. EBH on the other hand has already proven more(Ryo and some others are claiming it's the opposite way).

Massive potential because he came tenth once in the Ronde? Pfft, please. Massive potential is being on the podium in your very first Roubaix.

As I said, he barely did any track in 2009-2011. His tenth place in the Ronde was good, but not worth talking about 2 years after the fact.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 01-24-13 at 20:46.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.