Your local weather - Page 62 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 01-25-13, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by indenial View Post
-32C this morning here in northern Finland, now "only" -20C. Tough day at work, out there in the snow all freakin day, it's been another really cold week. Thank god it's friday!
Brrr!
Good luck and yes! it is Friday here
Old 01-25-13, 20:21

Today 50F (10*C)right now..partly cloudy..sun peeking through..
rest of the week same 50s but mostly sunny..

The wheels fall off on Tuesday...cloudy and down to 2*C....

I guess it's better than below freezing....
Old 01-25-13, 22:09
Administrator

Pretty cold here too. High of 22 and a low of 11 (Farenheit, -4 and -12 Celsius). Makes me miss the rain of the Northwest.

Last edited by Alpe d'Huez; 01-25-13 at 22:15.
Old 01-25-13, 22:12
Banned

Snow and rain here. About 0. Going to be almost 10 tomorrow, but still 0 at 7am when I set off on a 200k ride.
Old 01-25-13, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
Snow and rain here. About 0. Going to be almost 10 tomorrow, but still 0 at 7am when I set off on a 200k ride.
wow

enjoy!
Old 01-25-13, 22:18

Alpe, looks like Fallingwater ..beautiful!
Old 01-25-13, 22:23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmewmew13 View Post
wow

enjoy!
Thanks. Early season training ready for the longer rides in the Spring. Generally to be endured rather than enjoyed
Old 01-27-13, 14:50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmewmew13 View Post
Alpe, looks like Fallingwater ..beautiful!
Yes, it's a waterfall not too far from my home that's completely frozen. Here's the same falls looking down:

Old 01-27-13, 15:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Pretty cold here too. High of 22 and a low of 11 (Farenheit, -4 and -12 Celsius). Makes me miss the rain of the Northwest.

MISS the rain of the US NW??? Masochist! GREY GREY GREY GREY. Followed by DARK GREY, with periods of LIGHTER GREY, misting, with spots of rain. AAAUUUUGGHHHH!

Obviously, I have a hard time putting up with all that grey. The northern central states around the Great Lakes are the same way - except it's snow, not rain. So, Significant sections of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, and western New York state are off my radar as places to possible live. Some LOVELY places up there to visit, even in the depths of winter, when there is 10 ft of snow (like in the U.P. of MI) they can be lovely. But I can't stand that every day.

I'm in Massachusetts at the moment. We had a very nice January thaw, temps up to 40's and 50's F (4-13 C). This past week has been pretty cold, temps from 0 F up to the teens (-18 to -4 C). Snow has been - hmm - intermittent (?) this year. We've had a couple decent snows, but not more than a foot at a time, and every time it has eventually melted away before the next snow. Massachusetts is like that. A little north of here, in NH and VT, the snow is much more significant.

I'm still putting in mileage on my bike - but you have to realize I'm only doing 4-5 miles a day. I take our two dogs out for a run - I ride. Last fall, I started doing a local off-road trail with the dogs, and I get a more significant workout that way. Fartlek training, so time counts more than miles. In miles the trail is probably 3-4, but some good hills and single-track. The dogs love the woods, I get a workout. Better for me than the park.

With the cold, and the wind, I have to make sure I have good skin coverage on these cold days to prevent frostbite. On the really cold days, I pull out my Russian hats, from the year I worked there. Normally, they are just too warm for our winters.

Time and circumstances permitting, I may be able to get back to more significant mileage late this year or next year.
Old 01-27-13, 21:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
MISS the rain of the US NW??? Masochist! GREY GREY GREY GREY. Followed by DARK GREY, with periods of LIGHTER GREY, misting, with spots of rain...
Yes, that's it. My favorite weather!

Temperatures are moderate, often a good 30 degrees warmer than here, the hills and valleys are green all year long, instead of endless trees of sticks here. Lush valleys and forests.