2013 Santos Tour Down Under Stage 5: McLaren Vale -> Old Wilunga Hill, 151.5km - Page 20 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-26-13, 09:33

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Where is Pentacycle

Slagter as you could already see in Asisi last year, he has something for these short hills. Yeah, I dare to call him the Dutch purito
Old 01-26-13, 09:35

Slagter was very strong. On paper Blanco has a very good team for the Ardennes with Slagter, Mollema and Nordhaug.
Old 01-26-13, 09:44

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Koblet View Post
Slagter was very strong. On paper Blanco has a very good team for the Ardennes with Slagter, Mollema and Nordhaug.
I think the distance and amount of hills will be too much for Slagter to really be a threat there, a top 10 would already be great. In FW he has the biggest chance for a top 10 result. But that would already be great.
Old 01-26-13, 09:50

For those interested (me ) Kash was once again the best Astana rider today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Old 01-26-13, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
I think the distance and amount of hills will be too much for Slagter to really be a threat there, a top 10 would already be great. In FW he has the biggest chance for a top 10 result. But that would already be great.
Yeah, you might be right about that. He definitely has some potential though. He seems be pretty quick as well.
Old 01-26-13, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekker_Tifosi View Post
Where is Pentacycle

Slagter as you could already see in Asisi last year, he has something for these short hills. Yeah, I dare to call him the Dutch purito
He surprised me today and I agree with you that I've underestimated him. But imo he profited from the work Hagen and Thomas did until the last km, where he indeed did one of the best Purito imitations ever, attacking in the last few hundred metres of the race. There was quite a headwind, so any early attacks were pointless. He actually raced very smart.

Purito is still much better though, Slagter will never be close to his awesomeness.
Old 01-26-13, 10:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
He surprised me today and I agree with you that I've underestimated him. But imo he profited from the work Hagen and Thomas did until the last km, where he indeed did one of the best Purito imitations ever, attacking in the last few hundred metres of the race. There was quite a headwind, so any early attacks were pointless. He actually raced very smart.
Last year in Assisi he did everything wrong, now he did everything right. And see, there he is on the top step.

Of course he profited from Hagen and Thomas. That's called cycling.
Old 01-26-13, 10:36

How is the Butcher's TT'ing? Is it acceptable, bad, a little bit horrible or is it a mere disaster?
Old 01-26-13, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQmanager View Post
Was it just me watching online or did everyone else seen just the winner and nothing else but trees and trees and trees? At least online they didnt show what happened after Gerrans crossed the line. If I'm not alone, this race really is a real joke.

Edit: maybe not the race but the event organizers and TV coverage.
They really have to do something about the coverage. They showed the first three riders over the line and did not even show where Thomas finished or the time gap. Ridiculous. I wonder is there is also a need to have so many cars parked on the course especially when the roads are often narrow. Pretty dangerous for the riders. Great rides by the first two. Thomas just didn't have the legs. His team were good. Two good stages but the rest were pretty dull. A few longer stages would be good but it's early season and the riders don't seem to mind as it's usually so hot and often quite windy. As usual the last day is an anti climax but Adelaide wants their criterium. I wonder why they don't have the criterium on the first day and then finish the race with a road stage into Adelaide ? Maybe make the race a bit more exciting on the last day.
Old 01-26-13, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rick View Post
How is the Butcher's TT'ing? Is it acceptable, bad, a little bit horrible or is it a mere disaster?
His results seem to be about the same as Joaquin Rodriguez (he was pretty close to him in the 2011 Vuelta time trial and the 2012 Giro). I don't think he trains a lot on this discipline, maybe he can improve with age, but considering his build he'll probably become below average at best. But if he puts more focus on short hills and classics it wouldn't be much of a problem. His climbing ability in the high mountains is far too poor now for his time trial abilities to become an issue.