Andy Schleck Discussion thread. - Page 281 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-25-13, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
That's the point. To enjoy the job you do. Everything what comes along with it (the enjoyment) - it's bonus.
Little bit different in sport where (some kind of) the result is purpose, but the source of motivation should be the same in every walk of life, inner satisfaction rather than outside gratification.
Signs of maturity in the youngest Schleck.
Finally .
Old 01-25-13, 23:56

So Andy says he wants to improve. The ITT better be the first step or else he's wasting his time. I think he will be lucky to even make the top 5 with Alberto, Froome and a little bit worn by not out Wiggins, plus the other contenders.
Old 01-26-13, 12:47

Andy currently in a cut throat battle for lantern rouge? Well at least he should finish, guess we'll have to settle for that for now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Old 01-26-13, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzombie1988 View Post
So Andy says he wants to improve. The ITT better be the first step or else he's wasting his time. I think he will be lucky to even make the top 5 with Alberto, Froome and a little bit worn by not out Wiggins, plus the other contenders.
i take it you are talking TDF here , the 2 ITTs are less than 1OOK between them with 4 medium mountain stages and 5 main mountain stages and a total of 3 summit finishes , if he comes in to the race in full fitness the race favors andy in a massive way .

one thing is for sure , we need him back to his best after last years bore fest .

im from UK and proud of what wiggo and froome done but the race just did not excite in 2O12 without andy and contador .

roll on july !!
Old 01-26-13, 12:56

I was trying to remain optimistic about Andys prospects for July this year.
Unfortunately I'm beginning to think it might be July 2014 before we see the best of him again. He's got a lot of ground to make up in the next five months

Maybe the plan was never to compete in Australia though. Purely to get miles in the legs?
Old 01-26-13, 13:15

Arrow

This is not a trick question, but gotta ask this anyway. Shouldn't it be relatively easy to just hang on to the peloton, given that you are a pro? The stages have not been particularly hard or long. I guess you can hang on with less than 250W avg, probably with something like 220 or so, on a flat stage.

Several SRM blogs from several flattish stages suggest so, anyway. Here's Greipel's TDU stage 1 from 2011.

Here's Greipel's TDF 2011 stage 7. 180W and 107 bpm avgs, and it's the Tour...

Not particularly hard, IMO, even when the race situation will consist of frequent fluctutations in speed & power. However, the drafting effects of the peloton make up for a lot nonetheless.

Just genuinely interested about what the pros' baselines are. Actually not only pros' but cream of the crap pros' - winners of LBL and GC contenders.

Last edited by meat puppet; 01-26-13 at 13:25.
Old 01-26-13, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contadoraus Schlecks View Post
I was trying to remain optimistic about Andys prospects for July this year.
Unfortunately I'm beginning to think it might be July 2014 before we see the best of him again. He's got a lot of ground to make up in the next five months

Maybe the plan was never to compete in Australia though. Purely to get miles in the legs?
hes not going to be charging up a mountain for a good while yet , the most you are likely to see is him stretching his legs in a breakaway .

we are not talking about a second tier domestique here , the guy is one of the top climbers in the world and everything he does is focused around one race in july .

its no different to training a horse to win a classic , its all preperation and building up to peak fitness for that one race .

he sadly does not have many fans on this forum but i have a sneaky feeling he may just earn a bit of respect when the real racing starts .
Old 01-26-13, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades1 View Post
hes not going to be charging up a mountain for a good while yet , the most you are likely to see is him stretching his legs in a breakaway .
You can say whatever you want but he should be able to beat sprinters like Kittel, Guardini etc in a stage race. Look at him being next to last, only managing to just beat Guarnieri. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's dead last after the last stage.

Quote:
we are not talking about a second tier domestique here , the guy is one of the top climbers in the world and everything he does is focused around one race in july .

its no different to training a horse to win a classic , its all preperation and building up to peak fitness for that one race .

he sadly does not have many fans on this forum but i have a sneaky feeling he may just earn a bit of respect when the real racing starts .
not unless he actually tries to do something outside July and that one race in April. By the way what do you mean with "real racing"? The tour? LOL.
Old 01-26-13, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades1 View Post

Oh really? Finishing next to last in a prep race is Not conducive to winning classics. One expects a Good Showing in a build up to peak for a horse aiming for a target race. So 4th while galloping out strongly is very acceptable depending on the competition but last by 25+ lengths indicates either a physical issue or lack of class at the level of competition.

Andy doesn't lack the back class; that is a given. Everything else is still debatable at this point in time. IMO Andy actually finishing the race is one tiny step forward.

Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
Old 01-26-13, 14:24

not unless he actually tries to do something outside July and that one race in April. By the way what do you mean with "real racing"? The tour? LOL.

well i dont know what his actual schedule is , all i know is that it will be a fairly busy one leading up to july , all im trying to say is that you cannot expect to see anything spectacular for a while , that was a pretty bad injury and the time away from the road would have had a huge impact on his fitness .

im sure each race will bring on gradual improvement and he will show more on each outing , bringing up the tail end of the peleton at this stage of his comeback really does not mean a thing . if he starts being competitive before his body is ready it could do more harm than good . the guy should be given all the time he needs .

pro racing need andy and contador back to there best this year and anyone that does not agree with that ... well !!