Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 497 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-26-13, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post
Sensible decision, I don't think anyone will think the less of him for dodging Wiggins.
Luckily you're not serious otherwise this would have been one of the most ridiculous posts ever.
Old 01-26-13, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by infeXio View Post
Do you call yourself impartial then? l0l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
He calls himself Impartial? ROTFLMAO
this is brilliant
Old 01-26-13, 13:59

Quote:
Around here it's sacrilege to suggest the Tour is a bigger race than the Giro, but you're bashing Wiggins and defending Contador, so it will get a pass on this occasion.
It is not?
Well that was news to me.
Giro is funnier to watch sure, but if I had to choose between atour title and a giro one, I would go for the tour, and so would 90% of this forum (perhaps with the exception of some italian forum members)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LBsWCNE9I

Vuelta 06 - the greatest gt in history!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TQdI7csHs
Old 01-26-13, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols View Post
When do tell did he stop being the best rider in the world????
indeed, he is still the best rider in the world. Best stage racer, best climber and a great tter so best rider. I think the person is mistaking "best rider in the world" for "best rider of the year".
Old 01-26-13, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino attacks everyone View Post
It is not?
Well that was news to me.
Giro is funnier to watch sure, but if I had to choose between atour title and a giro one, I would go for the tour, and so would 90% of this forum (perhaps with the exception of some italian forum members)
Indeed, although you hear a lot of people saying that Tour >>>>>>>>>>> Giro which I do not agree with. But tour is more prestigious without a doubt.
Old 01-26-13, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
Indeed, although you hear a lot of people saying that Tour >>>>>>>>>>> Giro which I do not agree with. But tour is more prestigious without a doubt.
And then this year will be for obvious reasons. Alberto needs to stamp his name all over this.
He perhaps takes more pleasure riding the Giro though.
Old 01-26-13, 14:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlorecita View Post
indeed, he is still the best rider in the world. Best stage racer, best climber and a great tter so best rider. I think the person is mistaking "best rider in the world" for "best rider of the year".

Oh I see, he only won the Vuelta last year because he couldn't compete in other races and somehow got displaced????

By someone who didn't have to compete against the best rider in the world I imagine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alberto Contador of Pinto: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali makes history and joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all Three Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-26-13, 15:58
Administrator

Michele Acquarone ‏@micacquarone

@dnlbenson "The secret is not to take care of the butterflies, it is to take care of the garden so that the butterflies come up to you"

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 01-26-13, 17:36

Quote:
[...

In any case, talk of dodging is just childish nonsense entertained on these boards, and both riders should try to maximise their own results as best they see fit.
Your sentence is self-contradictory, since riders have been dodging other riders since the beginning of racing, mainly for the purpose of maximizing their own results. It doesn't mean they are afraid, or weak, or non-competitive, it just means that maximizing one's own results necessarily involves consideration for who the competition will be. I bet the announcement that Contador is NOT racing the Giro will mean some riders are MORE likely to race it now, since the competition is slightly weaker, and their own chances for victory just a little bit greater.

Riders also dodge entire races: Wiggins said he is riding the Giro because it is not as hard as it was in the past, for example, and Contador is dodging the Giro this year because racing it would be too disruptive to achieving his main goal, the TdF. Without a doubt Contador also noted that Wiggins was in the Giro, and factored this into his decision.

Far from being "nonsense" confined to these boards, all of this is a necessary part of being a professional bike racer and running a professional cycling team trying to get the best results possible.
Old 01-26-13, 18:52
Banned

It's dodging. And not the classiest one.

First, Wiggins declared he won't defend the Tour title 'cause he'll go for the Giro. Then, he was talking about the double, and at the end decides to target the Giro and ride in support at the Tour.

Couple of days before Wiggins' announcement, Contador was talking about the double. Immediately after he learned Wiggins is preparing for the Giro - he gave up.

For me, this is what Cipollini once called "lack of machismo in modern cycling".

Wiggins should validate his Tour title against, alleged, best GT rider of current generation, and the "best GT rider..." should measure himself against reigning Tour champion. Especially if they are already mentioning the possibility.
If you have dilemma who should have done the first move and confront the other - whoever. "If the mountain won't come to Muhammad..." That's the way to do it.
I'm not interested in faggish dodging and tacit split of GTs between the two. I want to see most prominent riders of the present riding against each other, proving their greatness, every time they can. That's sports heroism... Greats of the past have done that way.
As a long-time cycling fan I'll fell cheated if they don't collide during their prime. Doping is quite sufficient fraud already.
I wonder what Cipo thinks.