Who will be the big surprise/revelation of the next Giro D'Italia? - Page 9 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Surprise of the Giro.
Carlos Betancur.. 5 5.00%
Johan Chaves. 4 4.00%
Fabio Duarte. 7 7.00%
Darwin Atapuma. 11 11.00%
Wilco Kelderman. 18 18.00%
Rafal Majka. 21 21.00%
Joe Dombrowski. 18 18.00%
Fabio Aru. 5 5.00%
Other. 11 11.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-13, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Yeah he's a prologue rider but doesn't have the undurance to do something else. He really failed in the longer TT's last year, except the ones with bad competition. And idd I really can't see him climbing well, ever.

He could however develop as a classics rider, especially Roubaix could suit him. But that's about it, those track riders always have a hard time improving on their U23 results.
Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 4 : Villié-Morgon - Bourg-en-Bresse I.T.T. (53 km)

1. [GBR] WIGGINS Bradley SKY 1h03'12" 40
2. [GER] MARTIN Tony OPQ 34" 25
3. [AUS] ROGERS Michael SKY 01'11" 15
4. [NED] KELDERMAN Wilco RAB 01'25" 10
5. [FRA] CHAVANEL Sylvain OPQ 01'33" 5
6. [GBR] FROOME Chris SKY 01'33" 3
7. [AUS] DURBRIDGE Luke OGE 01'37" 2
8. [AUS] EVANS Cadel BMC 01'43" 1
9. [GBR] MILLAR David GRS 01'51" 0
10. [ESP] SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon RAB 01'53" 0

What more did you expect from a first year pro? BTW no one's saying Durbridge will be a GT contender.
Old 01-29-13, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
to win roubaix you really need an engine. durbridge doesn't have it. as is common with (australian) track guys, see also meyer brothers, bobridge and many others
Actually I didn't say he'll become a top classics contender, just that he could be a good classics domestique. Atm he has barely any classics experience, so he can get better at riding on cobbles and handling the distance. Btw what is your definition of 'engine'? Is it power, endurance or a combination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Effe View Post
Uhm, the guy is 21. Let's give him some time and see if he still 'fails' at TT'ing.
Compared to what he did at the U23 WC's and Nationals TT last year, the rest of his year was disappointing. Of course I'll give him time, but he didn't show any progress during last year imo. A guy like Kelderman, who is built as a climber, beat him in the Dauphine.
Old 01-29-13, 12:53

engine to me is how much endurance you have, so going the distance. something ebh and some other good riders lack
Old 01-29-13, 13:13

Quote:
Actually I didn't say he'll become a top classics contender, just that he could be a good classics domestique. Atm he has barely any classics experience, so he can get better at riding on cobbles and handling the distance. Btw what is your definition of 'engine'? Is it power, endurance or a combination?

For reasons beyond my comprehension, on this board, big engine actually means big fuel tank.
Old 01-30-13, 02:30

Quote:
durbridge will never be a gc rider. above all his shortcomings, like can't climb for **** he also lacks the engine.
Read the very first line of my post again please

Then rewatch the Aus champs RR

Last edited by 42x16ss; 01-30-13 at 02:32.
Old 01-30-13, 11:43

potential to be a gc rider and gc rider is the same thing. I read what you said and think it's nonsense. durbridge can't climb for **** and never will. also the australian road championships. seriously LOL
Old 01-30-13, 11:46

Send a message via MSN to Dekker_Tifosi

reread again Ryo. He's not saying he is a potential gc rider

He's saying, what about the non-gc potential riders in the giro

Quote:
Are we only talking climbers/potential GC types? I think that Luke Durbridge, Michael Matthews and Tom Jelte Slagter are young riders who could impress at the next level (GT's) looking at their current early season form. Each of them should be capable of pulling out a stage win.
which to me means something like : are we only discussing gc riders, if not -> there's also durbridge matthews and slagter (where matthews is clearly not a gc rider, so it should be ovious he is talking about non gc riders)

Last edited by Dekker_Tifosi; 01-30-13 at 11:48.
Old 01-31-13, 05:46

Quote:
potential to be a gc rider and gc rider is the same thing. I read what you said and think it's nonsense. durbridge can't climb for **** and never will. also the australian road championships. seriously LOL
I said he could win a stage and impress while doing so. That's all. Never said he could climb, that's why I specifically asked if this thread was only about GC/Climber types!

The Aus champs was in response to your comment on his engine, which isn't bad for a 21 year old.

Slow down and take in what people are saying and you will probably end up in less slanging matches

Last edited by 42x16ss; 01-31-13 at 05:52.
Old 01-31-13, 05:50

Quote:

Compared to what he did at the U23 WC's and Nationals TT last year, the rest of his year was disappointing. Of course I'll give him time, but he didn't show any progress during last year imo. A guy like Kelderman, who is built as a climber, beat him in the Dauphine.
He won Sarthe with only two teammates left for the last two stages (one of whom was also a neo-pro). For a 20 year old that's not half bad.

He'll never be a GT contender but this kid has huge ability.