Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 01-27-13, 00:16

ROFLMAO, ha, ha!

Durianrider says he's done nearly 1,100 miles in the last wk. in some Strava challenge. Looks fried. Can hardly talk. Not surprised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwH...6oRE7w&index=1

Strava needs some moderation.

Gotta burn those carbs, otherwise would soon hit 500lbs eating several crates of bananas a day. Watts/kg wouldn't be good. Not a chance keeping up with Eros Capecchi and his aero hairdo otherwise! But still great to keep up with those guys before his latest expedition, LOL.

Last edited by Parrot23; 01-27-13 at 02:57.
Old 01-31-13, 11:32

48% Hct and boasting of riding well uphill @ 65kg coz you're a raw vegan.

Uh huh.
Old 01-31-13, 21:12

durainrider is the man. and i cant wait until he hits the big 50 when just one bagel puts him above his deficit regardless of intensity.
Old 02-01-13, 05:48

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

So I won the Strava Base Mile Challenge for 2013. Rode a GPS certified 6190km for the month of Jan. Even 2nd and 3rd place couldnt keep up with vegan boy despite uploading 'manual entries' aka rides that can't be verified.

'Hey I use a Garmin but today I don't for some reason and will just manually enter a ride so vegan boy doesnt win..'.

Tsk tsk!

How does a 'protein deficient vegan' ride more than 46 000 other competitors?
Yeah I live in Radelaide and its literally the BEST cycling grounds on earth but no other Radelaide rider hit the top 50 did they?

2 vegans were in the top 5 though. No 'manual entries' from either of us. Just 100% GPS verified entries.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 02-01-13, 07:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
So I won the Strava Base Mile Challenge for 2013. Rode a GPS certified 6190km for the month of Jan. Even 2nd and 3rd place couldnt keep up with vegan boy despite uploading 'manual entries' aka rides that can't be verified.

'Hey I use a Garmin but today I don't for some reason and will just manually enter a ride so vegan boy doesnt win..'.

Tsk tsk!

How does a 'protein deficient vegan' ride more than 46 000 other competitors?
Yeah I live in Radelaide and its literally the BEST cycling grounds on earth but no other Radelaide rider hit the top 50 did they?

2 vegans were in the top 5 though. No 'manual entries' from either of us. Just 100% GPS verified entries.

Dude have mad respect for you

However you could make the same argument about a pure pro lard diet with the calorie deficit you maintain in your activities.

just sayn

spanking grunt pro team journeymen bottle carriers and neo pros on their training ride is pure awesomeness and frankly the only reason to own a gopro give us more of that for sure
Old 02-01-13, 22:23

I hear you point but just look at how many miles I do on strava during the year yet how lean I am in my youtube vids all year long. Its not the calories, its what those calories are made off. I pick foods LOW on the insulin index list. High carb LOW FAT LOW PROTEIN plant foods create the slim body longterm REGARDLESS of physical out put. Just go visit SE Asia, Africa, India etc where nobody is doing threshold efforts or even knows what watts per kg is etc.

Then get those people and put em on the high insulin index foods like animal products 3x a day and watch em blow out. Same with cyclists that get injured but are eating the wrong stuff. Put em on the Durianrider clean n mean diet and watch em hit TDF bodyweights over time.

Doesnt happen overnight BUT like fitness, it DOES happen with consistent effort.

Besides, who wants to eat a diet with no pasta, rice, fruit, sugar etc? Certainly not me. I like feeling lean and fast on the bike with no stimulants required. I like having relatively high watts per kg regardless of how much training Im doing. I eat to stay light. I train to be fast. Does that make sense?

Training = fitness.
Eating right = slim.
Combine the 2 for the best of both worlds for life.

Strava data
Old 02-01-13, 22:25

I hear your point but just look at how many miles I do on strava during the year yet how lean I am in my youtube vids all year long. Its not the calories, its what those calories are made off. I pick foods LOW on the insulin index list. High carb LOW FAT LOW PROTEIN plant foods create the slim body longterm REGARDLESS of physical out put. Just go visit SE Asia, Africa, India etc where nobody is doing threshold efforts or even knows what watts per kg is etc.

Then get those people and put em on the high insulin index foods like animal products 3x a day and watch em blow out. Same with cyclists that get injured but are eating the wrong stuff. Put em on the Durianrider clean n mean diet and watch em hit TDF bodyweights over time.

Doesnt happen overnight BUT like fitness, it DOES happen with consistent effort.

Its not genetic either cos nobody in my direct family is as lean as I am. Nobody in my direct family eats the same either. My brother Julian is getting there though recently and feeling positive gains.

Besides, who wants to eat a diet with no pasta, rice, fruit, sugar etc? Certainly not me. I like feeling lean and fast on the bike with no stimulants required. I like having relatively high watts per kg regardless of how much training Im doing. I eat to stay light. I train to be fast. Does that make sense?

Training = fitness.
Eating right = slim.
Combine the 2 for the best of both worlds. For life.

Strava data
Old 02-01-13, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
durainrider is the man. and i cant wait until he hits the big 50 when just one bagel puts him above his deficit regardless of intensity.
Look at Dr Esselstyn, Doug Graham, Colin Campbell, Dr Barnard, Pam Popper, Dr Mc Dougall etc. ALL over 50 and none of em are super duper cardio fit but ALL of them are trim on this high carb low fat low protein vegan thing.

Strava data
Old 02-02-13, 00:46

Got a link to the Strava challenge you won?

This is the only link I could find: http://www.strava.com/challenges/ride-base-mile-blast
Old 02-03-13, 02:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot23 View Post
I see Ferminal has it as 6:46 for Thomas. (Not sure where from--maybe off TV)
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthr...42#post1119842

From that someone on that thread estimates Thomas at 6.5 watts/kg (465 w gross).

Tapeworm's source has 7:36 for Ben Hermans, 6.8 watts/kg (434 w gross):
http://www.ridemedia.com.au/?p=8421
Ben Hermans posted his ride to Strava. 7.52 over the Strava start and finish points.

http://app.strava.com/segments/632509

Geraint Thomas would be under this time as he was solo over the top but by how much given he was caught on the descent just a minute or two later? My guess is 10 to 20 seconds? If it was 50 seconds as Ferminal suggests I'm wondering how he was caught so quickly? In any case it was a super ride by Geraint Thomas and I think DR's time of 8.30 up there is pretty solid too. Much of the peloton would have been over this.