U.S. Politics - Page 678 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6771  
Old 01-31-13, 16:14
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SoCal View Post
Rush called Ms. Fluke a ****. Not only did he apologize but the oh-so-fair press in this country ravaged the guy. Calls for boycots by the usual alarmists all over this country.

Where's the press ravaging Mr. Morgan? His comments were far worse, contiuing after his "apology" and perpetuated by a lie via creative editing by.....


wait for it....



MSNBC.

Of course the difference here is Mr. Morgan nor MSNBC nor you or any other left winger give a **** if the incident was wildly mis-reported as it fits nicely with your narrative.

The truth has no bearing, does it?
You're honestly arguing that the side of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Andrew Breitbart and James O'Keefe, ad infinitum is outraged by a mis-report that fits with a political narrative? Seriously? There's not a day goes by that your favorite, FoxNews, doesn't mis-report something to fit a political narrative.

For the record, I don't watch MSNBC (or CNN for that matter) because (a) I don't have tv and (b) it's silly. We know that you do watch FoxNews, though. I'll start posting all the stuff that they should apologize for, 'k?

But since we're on the outrage train and demanding apologies, are you equally outraged by this GOP megadonor for saying that inner city votes should be discounted? And I think we all know what he means by "inner city", eh?

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...-be-discounted
Reply With Quote
  #6772  
Old 01-31-13, 16:18
aphronesis aphronesis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by

But since we're on the outrage train and demanding apologies, are you equally outraged by this GOP megadonor for saying that inner city votes should be discounted? And I think we all know what he means by "inner city", eh?

[url
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2013/01/25/gop-megadonor-foster-friess-city-votes-should-be-discounted[/url]
Non nuclear families on the take. Ruined by liberal benevolence. Not job discrimination, dearth of positive examples, exportation of the manufacturing sector (urban redesign on the car-owning Moses model?), importation and restriction to low-wage, low-value mass produced disposable culture.

Etc.

Anyway. Carry on.
Reply With Quote
  #6773  
Old 01-31-13, 16:21
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,096
Default

And this is why Colin Powell is now a pariah.

"I want to see a Republican Party that, rather than trying to make it more difficult to vote and restricting the number of days and hours you can vote, a Republican Party that says we want everybody to vote and we're going to give you a reason to vote for us."
Reply With Quote
  #6774  
Old 01-31-13, 16:28
RetroActive RetroActive is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
Non nuclear families on the take. Ruined by liberal benevolence. Not job discrimination, dearth of positive examples, exportation of the manufacturing sector (urban redesign on the car-owning Moses model?), importation and restriction to low-wage, low-value mass produced disposable culture.

Etc.

Anyway. Carry on.
I haven`t had cable T.V. for 20 yrs. Doesn`t look like I missed much. I don`t imagine the movie Network makes it on the tube very often.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKkRDMil0bw
Reply With Quote
  #6775  
Old 01-31-13, 16:31
aphronesis aphronesis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroActive View Post
I haven`t had cable T.V. for 20 yrs. Doesn`t look like I missed much. I don`t imagine the movie Network makes it on the tube very often.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKkRDMil0bw
Actually, there's a significant distinction between the current realities of various inner cities and this retrograde rhetoric bent on confusing causes and effects.

I don't watch television.
Reply With Quote
  #6776  
Old 01-31-13, 16:39
RetroActive RetroActive is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphronesis View Post
Actually, there's a significant distinction between the current realities of various inner cities and this retrograde rhetoric bent on confusing causes and effects. I don't watch television.
Please elaborate.

I wasn`t suggesting you watched T.V.

Last edited by RetroActive; 01-31-13 at 16:42.
Reply With Quote
  #6777  
Old 01-31-13, 17:08
VeloCity's Avatar
VeloCity VeloCity is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,096
Default

Still can't get past that 47%.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...rcent-problem/

Quote:
There’s been a great deal of chatter among Republicans lately that they don’t really need to change their ideas; they merely need to change their tone. But as Cuccinnelli’s comments demonstrate, the ideas are the tone. The basic problem here is not the rhetoric; it’s the apparent belief among many conservatives that there isn’t any legitimate way that government assistance can be a positive force in people’s lives. In this telling, any voter who is temporarily dependent on government in some way is at risk of suffering a kind of permanent political lobotomy, in which he or she will be rendered forever incapable of rational political decision making or future independence. Any public official who extends the hand of government help in their direction is simply trying to manipulate these poor, lost souls.
The problem? Republican voters are generally in line with the "47%" - they also like government programs and don't want cuts, either.

http://reason.com/blog/2012/12/12/re...26+Run+Blog%29

Quote:
What’s particularly revealing, though, is what you see when you single out the poll’s self-identified Republicans. Unlike the overall polling sample, a majority of the poll’s Republicans do not support raising taxes on the wealthy. But they don’t support any of the spending cuts mentioned in the poll either. Not to Medicare or Medicaid, and not to the tax loopholes surveyed either. Republicans, in other words, don't support much of anything except leaving things the way they are now. Which is exactly what we can’t do.
Quote:
Still, the McClatchy-Marist poll isn’t an outlier: There’ve been dozens of polls finding that Republicans mostly don’t want to raise taxes (though they occasionally want to raise them on the rich) and definitely don’t want to cut spending. And you can see it in the policies their leaders propose.
And what happens when revenues stay flat while spending increases? That's the basis of the Republican economic orthodoxy - cut taxes but don't cut entitlement spending, mainly because the elderly who rely on those programs are a solid bloc of the R base. As **** Cheney put it, "deficits don't matter", or at least they didn't matter until the black Kenyan socialist Muslim became prez.

Quote:
This confusion, and the unwillingness to face up to our actual long-term budgetary challenges, explains a lot about why the GOP’s last presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, talked a big game about cutting deficits and reducing the debt, but when asked for specifics focused heavily on small-ball spending cuts. It also helps explain why Republicans now are so often wary of talking about overhauling the entitlement system. And it also speaks to a larger confusion within the party about what government should do and be: In theory, the GOP is the party of small government. But polls like this one suggest that it’s really the party of the status quo.
In other words, Republicans talk big about spending cuts but in truth, they actually do like the type of "government dependence" that idiots like Cuccinnelli rail against because they greatly benefit from those programs.

Last edited by VeloCity; 01-31-13 at 17:17.
Reply With Quote
  #6778  
Old 01-31-13, 17:18
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
You're honestly arguing that the side of Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Andrew Breitbart and James O'Keefe, ad infinitum is outraged by a mis-report that fits with a political narrative? Seriously? There's not a day goes by that your favorite, FoxNews, doesn't mis-report something to fit a political narrative.

For the record, I don't watch MSNBC (or CNN for that matter) because (a) I don't have tv and (b) it's silly. We know that you do watch FoxNews, though. I'll start posting all the stuff that they should apologize for, 'k?

But since we're on the outrage train and demanding apologies, are you equally outraged by this GOP megadonor for saying that inner city votes should be discounted? And I think we all know what he means by "inner city", eh?

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...-be-discounted
Quote:
We know that you do watch FoxNews, though. I'll start posting all the stuff that they should apologize for, 'k?

We do? Go ahead and start posting.... anytime you're ready.

Quote:
inner city votes should be discounted?
I'm not reading that to mean 'discounted' as in 'not counted.' If he meant 'not counted' then the guy is a loon (and he may very well be a loon.... I don't know much about him). He went on to clarify, "What I'm trying to say—there's no reason for them to have their tails between their legs because the American people on balance, I believe, want free markets. They do not want to have a system where there's more people riding the wagon than pulling the wagon. I believe the majority of the American people want to be wagon-pullers."

I don't agree with much of his analysis, but I do agree with the highlighted. Why do I get the felling you disagree with this as well?
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6779  
Old 01-31-13, 17:23
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2583986.html

Yeah, so, can we stop with the red herrings and the do-nothings and focus on the guns, please?
Tell me, which of the 23 measures the Prez wants to executive order will keep firearms out of the hands of the mentally ill? The criminal?

Other than out-right confiscation, which proposal that you espouse will keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill? The criminal?

Why don't you just come clean on what you'd like to see happen?
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
  #6780  
Old 01-31-13, 17:35
Scott SoCal's Avatar
Scott SoCal Scott SoCal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloCity View Post
And this is why Colin Powell is now a pariah.

"I want to see a Republican Party that, rather than trying to make it more difficult to vote and restricting the number of days and hours you can vote, a Republican Party that says we want everybody to vote and we're going to give you a reason to vote for us."
Colin Powell is a fool.

I saw the interview and O'Reilly ran circles around him. Powell agrees that ID should be shown when registering (what a racist view) but at the polling place a person's word should be good enough.

We need to make sure, for the integrity of our election process, that we have no freaking idea who is voting.

Gotta show ID for lots of things in this country. Voting? Nahh.
__________________
Instigating profanity laced tirades since 2009
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.