Tennis - Page 34 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-27-13, 12:14

The $500 million annual prize money pot in tennis does not give the whole picture as the grand slam tournaments are stinking rich with all the zillions coming in from sponsors and TV rights. They have money to spend on roofs, fly all the tennis establishment (with their wives) around the world on keeping in touch vanity exercises and goodness knows what else. A proper anti-doping budget would be a drop in the ocean for them to fund were the resolve there.

So why haven't they done this already? Why is it all still at the discussion stage? Why is ITF anti-doping still fixated on 'educating athletes' when the athletes themselves know more about doping than the ITF.
Old 01-31-13, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by will10 View Post
That story is behind a paywall but here's a full text taken from another forum. (Mods - if this is not permitted just delete the post).
Interesting article from Harman, with all the money awash in tennis they could use some more for testing, especially like the bit where he says freezing blood and urine samples for future testing, though the UCI did this with 1999 samples, later testing positive and swept under the carpet. I suspect Tennis would do the same.
Old 01-31-13, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by del1962 View Post
Interesting article from Harman, with all the money awash in tennis they could use some more for testing, especially like the bit where he says freezing blood and urine samples for future testing, though the UCI did this with 1999 samples, later testing positive and swept under the carpet. I suspect Tennis would do the same.
It wasn't like that proved to be useless though, it was used in the reasoned decision and was more smoke seen from the Armstrong fire that all eventually contributed to his Downfall.
Old 01-31-13, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant_Gumble View Post
It wasn't like that proved to be useless though, it was used in the reasoned decision and was more smoke seen from the Armstrong fire that all eventually contributed to his Downfall.
Fair point, I will stand corrected, but there will be the temptation to hide past misdemenours.
Old 01-31-13, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by clotho2 View Post
As for the Williams sisters, I really think they were clean, mostly because of their religion. However, those women are from Compton and their parents probably drilled in them since small, no drugs. But, I'm a realist also. I know doping exists in most if not all sports. Even golf. And not Daly's drinking.

With Venus, She has the height to carry her strength... Serena has the strength in her compactness. But they are both in their retirement ages. What happened with Serena at the Aussie this week when she was beaten by the younger Stephens, I chalked up to injuries. Sure she ranted, Serena has a temper. Not as bad as Johnny Mac's but a temper nonetheless. Is it roid rage. Is it when Tiger does it. So are they the only ones doping who can't control their tempers or the only ones doping?
The Williams sisters? About as clean as a turd. Serena (I think) once hid in a locked room in her house for hours from an OOC tester. Apparently she was afraid he was a stalker. They take the fans for such idiots. Also since when did being a Christian stop you from cheating? Plenty of religious people do. Their strength comes mainly from their enormous arms. Wonder how they got them.
Old 01-31-13, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruut View Post
The Williams sisters? About as clean as a turd. Serena (I think) once hid in a locked room in her house for hours from an OOC tester. Apparently she was afraid he was a stalker. They take the fans for such idiots. Also since when did being a Christian stop you from cheating? Plenty of religious people do. Their strength comes mainly from their enormous arms. Wonder how they got them.
Lol, great post.
Old 01-31-13, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
german eurosport commentator just reminded us that 7 or 8 years ago Murray weighed less than 70 kilograms on 1.85 height.
In his defence, he was 17 then. I grew quite a lot between about 17 and 19.
Old 01-31-13, 17:35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
german eurosport commentator just reminded us that 7 or 8 years ago Murray weighed less than 70 kilograms on 1.85 height.
Did they burden you with the detail of how much Murray weighs now? Several google searches suggest he is now 1.88m and 84kg, which is hardly Hulk Hogan.

Did German Eurosport pass any thoughts on how Boris Becker outmuscled mature adults in the mid 80s when a 17 year old?
Old 01-31-13, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruut View Post
Their strength comes mainly from their enormous arms. Wonder how they got them.
According to Andy Roddick Serena was, "bench-pressing small trucks" as a young teenager.

Old 01-31-13, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace and Gromit View Post
Did German Eurosport pass any thoughts on how Boris Becker outmuscled mature adults in the mid 80s when a 17 year old?

I don't know if he doped or not but definitely Becker had a mid-sized graphite racquet in 1985. Kevin Curren also switched to graphite in 1985. In 1984, Curren was the last player to reach a Grand Slam final with a small sized wooden racquet (Oz Open).

In 1985, some players still used a wooden racquet (Mecir had a 'mid-sized' wooden racquet, which actually was a graphite paint job), a steel racquet (Connors only switched to graphite in 1987), or a small-sized graphite racquet (like Lendl).

McEnroe played a winner-take-all match against Becker in summer '85, which he mentioned in his autobiography (which he lost) and he clearly attributed Becker's wins to his racquet.