Big Respect to Greipel the Gorilla - Page 3 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-30-13, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Was wondering if someone else was speculating this.
Kittel doesn't seem to be able to get his act together. I'll start to fear him when he puts it all together more consistently...not that he can't, but I'm not convinced yet. His fast teammate seems to be more of a threat..Degenkolb.

Last edited by Old School; 01-30-13 at 14:08. Reason: Spelled a rider's name wrong
Old 01-30-13, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
No doubt!

I think I head Cav saying that he (Griepel) can push either 40 or 60 watts more than he (Cav) can, but that Cav can still beat him because his kick is sharper and he's more aerodynamic.

There's a lot of respect between the 2 of them

Griepel sure looks in good shape on the video!

Something to look forward to this year, anyway!
The difference between them probably is a lot more than 40 Watts. Cav can put out 1600 W, Greipel will probably be somewhere around 1800. But Cav has the most aerodynamic style of any sprinter (although Guardini copies it).
Old 01-30-13, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoungest View Post
The difference between them probably is a lot more than 40 Watts. Cav can put out 1600 W, Greipel will probably be somewhere around 1800. But Cav has the most aerodynamic style of any sprinter (although Guardini copies it).
Rewatching the stage 2 sprint for last year's Tour, just at the moment you see Cav overtake Andre, Andre lifts his body up in a last attempt to get more power out - so boneheaded, but have knocked a couple of Ks off his speed instantly.
Old 01-31-13, 18:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
De Vlaeminck said:

A flat stage of a GT is hardly anything more than a kermess.

So Greipel won 100 kermesses. Super. And this because of big trains.

So really nothing big ...
De Vlaeminck is one of the greatest riders of all time but everything he says, is not necessarily right. He is the one that called Boonen's competition third rate when Boonen won P-R last year and while that might be true it was totally uncalled for. Boonen can only defeat those that race against him and he did so more convincingly than anybody in recent history at that race (beside Cancellara was the only missing and it is rather a testament to Boonen's strength that only one rider can pose a serious threat to him than a reason to downplay his achievements). That is the kind of comment that make him come across as bitter if you ask him. Which might be the case here also.
Greipel is the second best sprinter in the world right now and has been for some time whether or not you like his style of racing. His achievements which are based primarily on his own skill (yes he has a great leadout train but the reason he gets so much support is because he can deliver, other sprinters aren't good enough to provide enough garantees to their teams hence their relative lack of support) demand respect. 99% of the peleton can only dream of winning 100 "kermesses".
Old 01-31-13, 19:24

So again this reputation that De Vlaeminck is a bitter man ! Unfounded, of course.

De Vlaeminck had always admired Boonen, ever since 2002, unlike Museeuw that he has always hated. Boonen's third rate competition, that's what he said in 2005 when Boonen outsprinted Hincapie and Flecha. Roger pointed to the fact that the best TT riders no longer race Paris-Roubaix, which makes the field depleted.

Last year, Merckx was the one who said if he were a rider of today, he would've won 10 Paris-Roubaix.

De Vlaeminck is not a bitter man. He's just a bit provocative, period. He's constantly said that records were there to be broken, that he would still feel at ease if his record was tied (in 2011) and that his time is gone. I really don't know where that reputation comes from. At age 65, he's got other worries than seeing his record broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=455-D0dOglI

He said 5 years ago that for him flat GT stages were hardly anything more than kermesses. It was in a book "Roger De Vlaeminck Top60", for his 60th birthday. He said this about his own GT stage wins. He would only save his 2 mountain stages of Giro '75. And the funniest is that he added "but be careful, in my time, kermesses were not easy to win"

Now in his own autobiography, published last year, he swears that at age 65, he would be able to follow a peloton on a flat GT stage, if he can draft wheel all the way, and if he does not get into the wind. A flat stage of 160km is not hard if you ride in a peloton.
Old 01-31-13, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterloo Sunrise View Post
Rewatching the stage 2 sprint for last year's Tour, just at the moment you see Cav overtake Andre, Andre lifts his body up in a last attempt to get more power out - so boneheaded, but have knocked a couple of Ks off his speed instantly.
If Andre Greipel and Rod Ellingworth ever manage to get together I fear for the rest of the peloton.

As for the lead out train's I have to back the one with potentially two green jerseys ahead of none.
Old 01-31-13, 20:35

I just watched the vid. Very cool!

I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of sprinters with solid support this year. Hopefully we'll get a good lineup for Gent-Wevelgem and Scheldeprijs.