Cancellara's risky bet - focus on LBL, Lombardia... - Page 9 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 01-31-13, 21:26

Anyone fancy his chances in the Tour of Qatar? Needs to be windy, but I think he's in with a chance of a podium at least.
Old 01-31-13, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTupelo View Post
Anyone fancy his chances in the Tour of Qatar? Needs to be windy, but I think he's in with a chance of a podium at least.
I think his chances are good. There's a team time trial and he has a pretty strong team for it. I recon they can put good time into the other teams.
Old 01-31-13, 21:32

I didn't think he was still talking about winning the other monuments, at least not for this year.

Anyway, I think he would have a real shot at La Doyenne. He'd have to skip (or at least not put any real focus on) the cobbles, though. I'd love to see him try it. It's great to see riders test themselves in different types of races instead of just sticking where they have early success.

I agree with everyone who says Il Lombardia is too mountainous. I can't see him sticking with the climbers, even if he loses some of that muscle and lightens up.
Old 01-31-13, 21:36

I agree, I would love to see him give a shot at LBL. Perhaps radioshack can send a team with guys like Andy, Kiserlovski and Monfort and whilst other teams get caught up marking these three, cancellara can go on an attack and time trial to the finish. I dont think this will compromise his preparation for the cobbled classics.
Old 01-31-13, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTupelo View Post
Cav should take 2-3 stage wins. Mostly training for Cancellara.
Old 01-31-13, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
He's still talking about winning LBL and Lombardia? Where? I havn't seen anything.

This season he's not going to be focused on LBL or Lombardia at all I don't think, his focus is completely on the spring classics. More so on the classics than the TT's as well.
In an article in Cycle Sport this month. But there is no quote. And infact it is the author who says this could be the year for it. So sorry. I may have resurrected a thread for nought
Old 01-31-13, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmaher View Post
In an article in Cycle Sport this month. But there is no quote. And infact it is the author who says this could be the year for it. So sorry. I may have resurrected a thread for nought
Think he will be very focused on core races this year. Out of contract, needs points etc. Can't be experimenting this year.
Old 01-31-13, 22:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruppeto993 View Post
I agree, I would love to see him give a shot at LBL. Perhaps radioshack can send a team with guys like Andy, Kiserlovski and Monfort and whilst other teams get caught up marking these three, cancellara can go on an attack and time trial to the finish. I dont think this will compromise his preparation for the cobbled classics.
No ones going to let Cancellara get away though, if he attacks, someones going to jump on his wheel. Plus Kiserlovski and Monfort (and Schleck too if he can't get in shape by then) aren't the types of guys that the other teams are going to need to monitor every move of, since their not really big favorites to take the win.

If he is feeling good after the cobbled races than he might as well compete just for the hell of it. But it would be a mistake to put a big focus on it, and train specifically for it IMHO.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 02-01-13, 09:57

I agree with what most here says. I do believe that he has a shot at LBL - actually probably more than a shot - but not this year.