::::~ Wheelbuilders thread ~:::: - Page 76 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 01-20-13, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle View Post
Velocity Dyad.
Thanks. I wouldn't have considered Velocity as I always associate them with flouro/fixie/hipster chic.
Old 01-21-13, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkybiker View Post
Thanks. I wouldn't have considered Velocity as I always associate them with flouro/fixie/hipster chic.
They do some goofy colored rims but most Velocity rims are well made, good MTB/Touring/Road rims.
Old 01-31-13, 23:09

I would appreciate some advice. To start with I'm 85kgs, used to race, but now just do some fast training. I'm normally light on decent handbuilt wheels. My current ones are Ambrosio Excellights on NovaTec A171 and F272 hubs, I think these are the same as the Ambrosio branded hubs, 28 spoked front and rear. These have held up great, despite me hitting some teeth-jarring potholes. My proposed build is the same hubs with H-Son Archetype rims, either 28/24, or 24/20. These rims are deeper, wider, and should be stiffer. I'll be using the wheels on a 10 or 11 speed Campag set-up.

Do you think 24/20 will hold up, plus are there better hub choices out there given I'm running Campag?
Old 02-01-13, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I would appreciate some advice. To start with I'm 85kgs, used to race, but now just do some fast training. I'm normally light on decent handbuilt wheels. My current ones are Ambrosio Excellights on NovaTec A171 and F272 hubs, I think these are the same as the Ambrosio branded hubs, 28 spoked front and rear. These have held up great, despite me hitting some teeth-jarring potholes. My proposed build is the same hubs with H-Son Archetype rims, either 28/24, or 24/20. These rims are deeper, wider, and should be stiffer. I'll be using the wheels on a 10 or 11 speed Campag set-up.

Do you think 24/20 will hold up, plus are there better hub choices out there given I'm running Campag?
Go with 28/24 at the minimum, you don't have any good reasons to go with less spokes, most people don't. If I was building these for you I would recommend 32/28. As good as those H Plus Son rims are you have to understand that if you go with a really robust rim like the Archetype that doesn't automatically justify lowering the spoke counts. I don't build 24h rears for anybody unless the rim is at least 40-50mm deep and used on the weekends only.

There are some fantastic hubs out there that are optimized for Campy. Alchemy Elf/Orc, Chris King R45, White Ind. T11.

Last edited by Giuseppe Magnetico; 02-01-13 at 15:38.
Old 02-02-13, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Go with 28/24 at the minimum, you don't have any good reasons to go with less spokes, most people don't. If I was building these for you I would recommend 32/28. As good as those H Plus Son rims are you have to understand that if you go with a really robust rim like the Archetype that doesn't automatically justify lowering the spoke counts. I don't build 24h rears for anybody unless the rim is at least 40-50mm deep and used on the weekends only.

There are some fantastic hubs out there that are optimized for Campy. Alchemy Elf/Orc, Chris King R45, White Ind. T11.
Thank you for the advice, the builder is suggesting 28/24 as well. I've had a pair of 28/28 wheels built with Excellights and they've stood up fine to the cr*ppy roads round here, hence why I'm not looking at 32 at the moment. I seem to be light on well made wheels. All the hubs yiou suggest look very nice, but sadly they're out of my budget at the moment. I particularly like the look of the White Industries ones, but they'd cost me about £350. Might have to think about selling a few bits and pieces to fund a hub upgrade...

Last edited by Hawkwood; 02-02-13 at 12:11. Reason: spelling
Old 02-02-13, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post

What Guissepe said. 20/24 even on those rims, at your weight is asking for unreliable wheels. 28/32, additional 16 spokes, weigh about 120 grams.

85000 grams just for you, add another say 7000 or so grams for a light bike...92,000 grams so saving 120 grams on a wheelset that won't be reliable made by anybody, makes no sense.

For hubs, get some Miche, do 32/32, tell the posseurs at the coffee shop to **** off and go ride.
Old 02-23-13, 02:05

Just ran across this photo of a failed rim. In the discussion of the failure on the page, they talk about some rims not being strong enough to manage compressive failure (the method espoused by Brandt in The Bicycle Wheel). I found it interesting.

http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-080.html

I rode a couple of rims to the failure point, who knows how many thousands of miles - but many years. Wanted to see what they would do. They failed in a similar fashion, cracking near the spoke holes, grommets coming out.
Old 03-04-13, 18:17

I'm curious how you builders approach lacing the ever widening Campy rear hub freewheel body and cassette? Dish?
Old 03-04-13, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
I'm curious how you builders approach lacing the ever widening Campy rear hub freewheel body and cassette? Dish?
Not sure about "ever widening" being just Campy specific. Have you seen what Sh!tmano has done lately? We're pretty much on the level now with dish. Used to dish Campy 1-2mm more, even going as far as re adjusting one of my truing stands specifically for Campy builds, but the last few years I've been using Campy "corrected" hubs by King and White, recently Alchemy.
Old 03-04-13, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Not sure about "ever widening" being just Campy specific. Have you seen what Sh!tmano has done lately? We're pretty much on the level now with dish. Used to dish Campy 1-2mm more, even going as far as re adjusting one of my truing stands specifically for Campy builds, but the last few years I've been using Campy "corrected" hubs by King and White, recently Alchemy.
I was in the bunch hiding my poor fitness (on my quiet hubs ) when I noticed a campy record dude I know with a new bike and a wheel with a dish like a salad bowl. He said the 11 is wider etc. just curious

Of those three hubs, which do you recommend? non campy

If someone told you to build the best non carbon wheel-set for racing and uber training what would you use? (sans bling) tall Roadie a bagel short of clyde
specifically hubs rim spokes and nips, lace, holes?

3x?

I ask because i feel your resistance to Mavic and HED and Stans....