Sky - Page 1251 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 01-31-13, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post

As for Brailsford: some folk are never satisfied.....queries about Leinders Rogers & Yates for months on the Clinic (quite rightly so). DB gets rid of them, then its more flak for him.

Its exactly people like Brailsford (and Vaulters) that cycling needs now: Ashenden & Taggart can shout from the sides but that ain't going to have much impact.
Lance. Passed 200 tests and said he didnt dope. But some people are never satisfied. Its him not people like Lemontre and vaulsh that cycling needs now.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 01-31-13, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
As for Brailsford: some folk are never satisfied.....queries about Leinders Rogers & Yates for months on the Clinic (quite rightly so). DB gets rid of them, then its more flak for him.
Ministry of Peace, right? 1984?

Rogers was not "got rid of", he left of his own accord.
Leinders was not "got rid of", his contract was simply not renewed.
Yates, et al, yes, they were "got rid of". But they were also originally hired by the same person, so it does not (IMO) add to his list of "things I got right", but merely partly erases a few things from his list of "things I really screwed up".
Sutton is still there, lurking in the background.
Old 02-01-13, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch View Post
Lance. Passed 200 tests and said he didnt dope. But some people are never satisfied. Its him not people like Lemontre and vaulsh that cycling needs now.
Sorry mate: I've had a drink, but I really can't understand your post so will look at it again in the morning and see if its any better.

G'nite
Old 02-01-13, 00:00
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace and Gromit View Post
Oh you've got to love the "I know my cycling history and you don't" gag. If you want a p*ssing competition then bring it on. Fancy putting your self-proclaimed superior knowledge to the test, Fearless?

You might want to learn to read as well. The description in question is "elite" not "big". A perusal of the rmo roster for the Kimmage years might reveal size but it was not over-blessed with elite riders.
Well, since you wish to show your knowledge - then can you answer the post below that query's DBs past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeas View Post
" Dave Brailsford spent four years as a competitive cyclist in St. Etienne in France chasing his dream of winning the ultimate cycling challenge, the Tour de France before returning to the UK to study for his first degree in Sports Science and Psychology and then went on to study for an MBA "

Which teams ?????

Any race results either in France or even the UK ?

Must have had some to get a pro licence ??
Old 02-01-13, 00:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexon30 View Post
And so it should. I've said before and I will say again in my opinion Dave Brailsford needs to go now. If Sky are serious.
The thing that gets me is the lack of awareness in the British public. This really implicates Sky (Leindeers). Yet hide they can.
have some respect old chap.

he is Sir to you.
Old 02-01-13, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Webster View Post
6th in the World Amateur champs is all the evidence ya need to prove that on his day Paul was a top rider. No one achieved that ( clean) without considerable ability.
Thanks Darryl.
Old 02-01-13, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie's eyesore View Post
Personally I dislike Brailsford, to me he comes across as smug, patronising and untrustworthy. It's hard to argue he is doing a bad job though given the results (any possible doping matters aside). Personally I don't see what relevance his life before he joined British cycling has to what he is achieving now and it's not something I am especially interested in to be honest.
I disagree with your viewpoint, on a deeper level there are arguments to be made for the way sport is going in this country.

Whether it matters or not what Brailsford did in his previous life is subjective. The truth is we don't know as it is not in the public domain, it could be of value in an argument.

I was trying to get people to think about the rise of cycling beyond the superficial. Appears the main protaganist is Peter Keen who may have a fetish for grooming wannabe performance directors.

Last edited by horsinabout; 02-01-13 at 18:20.
Old 02-01-13, 09:24

Utter, meaningless drivel, shame the ban didn't stick
Old 02-01-13, 12:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Greg Lemond View Post
You can do much better Wallace, RMO were a BIG team in the eighties, and, Kimmage was part of it. Fact. They weren't as big as before but those white shirts are still part of cycling history, Thierry Clayverolat is still a hero. Charly Mottet aussi. Etc etc.

And I was not trying to be arrogant but y really have to get the fact straight. One could not get into RMO when one did not have talent, Kimmage had.

Perhaps Darryl Webster can shine some light for you on the talent of Kimmage.
Fearless,

I think you might be getting too carried away with your history. Whatever RMO had been in the past, they were not an elite outfit in 1986, the year Kimmage made his debut. Here are their 7 finishers in that Tour:

17th Clav
47th Giles Mas
62nd Bernard Vallet
93rd Regis Simon
118th Andre Chappuis
129th Francis Castaing
130th Paul Kimmage

This is not an elite team. This is a team of strugglers. The final three spent most of their time with no higher aim than beating the time limit.

So my three claims - my only three claims - about Kimmage stand: He never won the Tour, he never "troubled the scorers" (ie never won a pro race) and he never rode for an elite team are all true.

I'm not knocking Kimmage's talent as a rider. He was obviously a very good amateur, but didn't make the grade as a pro, for whatever reason.
Old 02-01-13, 12:49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Well, since you wish to show your knowledge - then can you answer the post below that query's DBs past?
No. I know a lot of sporting trivia, but this is beyond my limit!

Now here's a question for you, and indeed anyone interested...

Can a team place 4 riders in the top 7 of the final GC of the Tour de France with 2 of the 4 riders concerned doing it clean?