Comments??? - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the website

About the website Home for all your redesign feedback. We'll make all our important announcements here too!

Old 11-24-12, 03:51

when will CN stop screwing with the front page and start fixing the backlog of problems with the forum?
Old 11-24-12, 05:44
Managing editor

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Benson

The game,

Can you ping me a message letting me know which operating system you use and the versions of firefox etc that you're on. We can try and replicate the issues then and test to see if there's room for improvement. Hopefully we can speed things up for you. :-)

Moderation will be done by the editorial team, the fantastic mods, and myself. CN readers were asking for this on the site, as this thread shows and we've been wanting to implement comments for a while now. We hope it goes well but part of that responsibility is on the CN community too.

Thanks

Daniel
Old 11-24-12, 15:14

Its working a bit faster today, it may just have been server issues last night or a bit of temporary sluggishness, but still a bit slow. Running Win 8, 6gb Ram, 2 ghz Dual Core, tested in all browsers.

This is a load time test done on the Sastre Article

The things slowing the page down

beacon.js
b.scorecardresearch.com/ < 2 seconds

picad_4802.js?r=2256282
cdn3.picadmedia.com/js/ 3+ seconds

i.match?p=b3&u=CPeSEyTW999CXnOx&
a.tribalfusion.com/ < 2 seconds

facebook api is about 2 seconds.

7 seconds is pretty slow

Comparable article on velonation 2.54 seconds
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13...pro-debut.aspx

Comparable article on velonews 4.6 seconds
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...mstrong_266083

I think its just the sheer rate of requests making things a bit treaclelike. Think the devs maybe need to look at offsetting the additional weight of the facebook api with reduction of calls in other areas. A 7-10 second load time in this day and age is a bit slow.

I like the idea of the comments, its long overdue and it does increase social media output etc, But I pity the poor moderators and the extra work it will involve though,
Old 02-01-13, 02:27

I hate the comments section, makes your eyes bleed reading it especially any doping story. Comments are OK for news sites which don't have an active forum. Best place for discussion is the forum which is moderated. The CN comments section is the place where intellectual pigmies who can't hack the forums can vent their spleen. Full of nutjobs and forum refugees.

Of course the comments will continue as CN follow sheeplike other online news sites, not withstanding that CN already has an active community discussing the news. CN would be better served linking to a relevant forum or thread.

Did tricksy colour add impact to my post - probably not.
Old 02-01-13, 21:04
Managing editor

Sorry for the slow response Game, the slowness is an issue on the page, 100 per cent agree. There's a lot of code in the site that slows load time down but we try and cut what we can/when we can. For example, some of the analytic tools were taken out at the end of last year.

Dan
Old 02-01-13, 21:05
Managing editor

Rata, i understand your last point, it simply wasn't something we could implement in the short development window we had. However, if you dont like the comments, you could just skin over them.They are low down the page after all.
D
Old 09-23-13, 16:07

I agree with Rata. The comments are awful. Most of them are way, way below the forum standard of quality.

It's not quite as bad but it reminds me of the youtube comment section. You only read it if you don't care about your sanity

Visit my blog on spanish history: www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
Old 09-23-13, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
I agree with Rata. The comments are awful. Most of them are way, way below the forum standard of quality.

It's not quite as bad but it reminds me of the youtube comment section. You only read it if you don't care about your sanity
Yeah there comes a point where a website administrator should be able to 'disable comments' where all comments already made are wiped.
Old 09-24-13, 09:54

I generally like the comment-function, sometimes it's nice to be able to write a comment directly to an article, instead of having to find the appropriate thread to write the comment in.
However, sometimes the more "problematic comments" tend to generate long flame-wars, which you then are forced to scroll over in their full length. Maybe only display the initial comments, and then make a Show Replies option.
For all directly doping-related stories I'd suggest you completely turn the comment-option off, to keep in line with the 'we only talk doping in the clinic' rule.
Finally: Kill those spammers!
No... don't actually kill them.
Old 09-24-13, 19:38
Managing editor

I agree on the Spam side of things. We're trying to clear that up as best we can but it's pretty tough. All these aunts, step aunts, blind second aunts twice removed with shingles....with great offers to make $24034 in a mile-second are tiresome but when they pop up I do try and have them deleted. I only have one aunt. I think she's an optician and she never has any get rich quick schemes. Damn you, Julia!

Anyway, I also agree that some of the comments from the real world can be just as tiresome. People that jump in, make the same point they've made 500 times in other articles, will be banned. (If I spot them of course).

Dan

Last edited by Daniel Benson; 09-24-13 at 19:42.