Tyler on Jay Leno 2.01.13-Lance as Sleazebag - Page 2 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-02-13, 10:00
Arnout's Avatar
Arnout Arnout is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 4,037
Default

If the guys that lost out because of him (well, lost out... they doped in other teams without his pressure) don't want to do it, why?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-02-13, 10:12
spalco's Avatar
spalco spalco is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vienna
Posts: 4,492
Default

I got the impression that Hamilton thinks, he did so many things that were so wrong, that it's not his place to crucify Armstrong, especially now that he's starting to show some small signs of contrition and that Hamilton cares more about getting him to open up even more. That doesn't mean he's ok with Armstrong now, but you can't go through life with hate in your heart all the time.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-02-13, 11:24
Athame's Avatar
Athame Athame is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 162
Default

yeah that too but also I inferred after reading TH's book that maybe he thinks there's some good guy deep-down inside LA.
You know, one of his good old buddies from the days of the Bad News Bears. If not that then it's at least that TH looks back
on some of '99 moments particularly fondly.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-02-13, 11:55
Gregga Gregga is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athame View Post
yeah that too but also I inferred after reading TH's book that maybe he thinks there's some good guy deep-down inside LA.
You know, one of his good old buddies from the days of the Bad News Bears. If not that then it's at least that TH looks back
on some of '99 moments particularly fondly.
I think TH is deeply a good person, with sometimes maybe too much respect for the others (as his Mum certainly told him to be), even if the other is kind of psychopath as Armstrong. I recently watched again the TdF stage in 2003 where Beloki falls and Armstrong takes a shortcut in a field, when Armstrong gets back on the road he's immediately caught by a chase group including Hamilton... who pats Armstrong's back and asks him if he's ok ! A few days later in Luz Ardiden climb, he chased after Ullrich to tell him to wait for Armstrong who had fell with Mayo. Definitely a boy scout.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-02-13, 12:40
trailrunner's Avatar
trailrunner trailrunner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UTC-5
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalco View Post
I got the impression that Hamilton thinks, he did so many things that were so wrong, that it's not his place to crucify Armstrong, especially now that he's starting to show some small signs of contrition and that Hamilton cares more about getting him to open up even more. That doesn't mean he's ok with Armstrong now, but you can't go through life with hate in your heart all the time.
Hamilton has his own sordid past so he can't be too righteous in going after Armstrong. What Armstrong did was 10x worse, but if Hamilton whines too much about Armstrong, then it sounds like he's blaming Armstrong instead of taking responsibility for his own decisions. He's also suffered from depression and is supposedly in therapy, and I would imagine that part of that therapy is to let go of the past and hatred and blame.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-02-13, 12:51
Briant_Gumble's Avatar
Briant_Gumble Briant_Gumble is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 829
Default

Given Hamilton's history with depression and everything it sounds so much more convincing when talks about "the truth will set you free" than when Sheryl Crow says it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-02-13, 13:02
martinvickers martinvickers is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregga View Post
I think TH is deeply a good person, with sometimes maybe too much respect for the others (as his Mum certainly told him to be), even if the other is kind of psychopath as Armstrong. I recently watched again the TdF stage in 2003 where Beloki falls and Armstrong takes a shortcut in a field, when Armstrong gets back on the road he's immediately caught by a chase group including Hamilton... who pats Armstrong's back and asks him if he's ok ! A few days later in Luz Ardiden climb, he chased after Ullrich to tell him to wait for Armstrong who had fell with Mayo. Definitely a boy scout.
It's a constant danger to look for Armstrong personality traits in all cheats. Armstrong seems to be fairly close to a functioning sociopath (like lots of very 'successful' people, I might add - he ain't Ted Bundy, folks). Indeed, Armstrong's personality flaws may be something cycling one day, bizarrely, has cause to be grateful for - because he ****ed off enough people, and too enough risks, that eventually the stories all got out, and we have this fleeting chance at revolutionary change.

compare with Indurain, who similarly constructed an epic career on suspicious grounds. But he was gentle, humble and decent to the peleton and others generally...and we never got close to stopping him, and the doped up peleton sailed on for years up to Festina.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-02-13, 13:18
the asian's Avatar
the asian the asian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colombo
Posts: 3,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinvickers View Post
I Indeed, Armstrong's personality flaws may be something cycling one day, bizarrely, has cause to be grateful for - because he ****ed off enough people, and too enough risks, that eventually the stories all got out, and we have this fleeting chance at revolutionary change.

compare with Indurain, who similarly constructed an epic career on suspicious grounds. But he was gentle, humble and decent to the peleton and others generally...and we never got close to stopping him, and the doped up peleton sailed on for years up to Festina.
Do agree with that,
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-02-13, 13:40
Puckfiend Puckfiend is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 66
Default

I just think Tyler is making great use of that college education. He is so ahead of the curve! Best selling book, TV appearance money, and if he is really smart; a soon to be announced Gran Fondo! Lance, Levi, George and Floyd better take notes!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-02-13, 14:02
Benotti69's Avatar
Benotti69 Benotti69 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckfiend View Post
I just think Tyler is making great use of that college education. He is so ahead of the curve! Best selling book, TV appearance money, and if he is really smart; a soon to be announced Gran Fondo! Lance, Levi, George and Floyd better take notes!
Floyd has a grand fondo
__________________
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.