Will Cancellara ride the 2013 Tour de France? - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: ?
yes 57 55.88%
no 45 44.12%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-13, 21:10

Cancellara desperately wants to win the worlds road race and to put on the Pink jersey in the Giro.

Riding the Tour doesn't help that in anyway. He'd be better off riding the Giro and Vuelta.
Old 02-01-13, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruppeto993 View Post
True. I don't know what else is there for him to target after the cobbled classics apart from the tour. Perhaps he wants to win another world TT? I mean the races during the second part of the season are either stage races or hilly classics like lombardia. I doubt these are his targets.
by riding the tour, he has nothing to lose.
Cancellara has achieved everything in the Tour he ever wanted, and he doesn't like to get slaved around by the Schlecks anymore.
He's ridden multiple GT's since 2009 combined with a spring classics season, until last year, and it's just too hard for him to have three big peaks in his season.
He should now specifically prepare for the races he still wants to add to his palmares.

For example, he hasn't won any Italian autumn classics, nor has he won Paris-Tours. And he isn't going to focus on TT's anymore, so the WC aren't his main goal. I think he'll just ride the Giro this year, and rest during the Tour to build up to his goals in the autumn classics.
Old 02-01-13, 21:13

He wants to wear the pink jersey, yes. But the worlds course doesnt really suit him. He needs to lose some weight. Maybe he wants to do just that after the giro.
Old 02-01-13, 21:23

Quote:
He wants to wear the pink jersey, yes. But the worlds course doesnt really suit him. He needs to lose some weight. Maybe he wants to do just that after the giro.
He's fast running out of time. 2013 and 2014 are his last chances. While I agree that the course is too difficult for him, he definitely give it a go.
Riding all 3 Grand Tours is too much and riding the Vuelta is a very good way to Prepare for the Worlds', so he will miss the Tour, if he has any ambition about the Worlds.
Old 02-02-13, 14:20

http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/not...a.asp?id=59094

no
Afrank, birthmark, BoxCoppi, burning, Caruut, Dazed and Confused, Ferminal, Forunculo, gerundium, Gloin22, Havetts, HelgeBlendet, Miburo, Netserk, nuvolablu, Peccio89, Pentacycle, phanatic, Squire, Swabian Lass, Task_Force, the asian, will10, woodenswan
24 51.06%
Old 02-02-13, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
http://biciciclismo.com/cas/site/not...a.asp?id=59094

no
Afrank, birthmark, BoxCoppi, burning, Caruut, Dazed and Confused, Ferminal, Forunculo, gerundium, Gloin22, Havetts, HelgeBlendet, Miburo, Netserk, nuvolablu, Peccio89, Pentacycle, phanatic, Squire, Swabian Lass, Task_Force, the asian, will10, woodenswan
24 51.06%
Congrats.
Old 02-02-13, 15:00

He does have some brain cells left in him, despite his long association with the Schlecks.
Old 02-02-13, 15:13

By the looks of the article, he sounds like he is going to give the world championships a real shot. You reckon its for the road race, time trial or both??
And what will his chances be because the route is pretty hilly which means he perhaps may need to lose some weight.
Old 02-02-13, 15:18

Quote:
By the looks of the article, he sounds like he is going to give the world championships a real shot. You reckon its for the road race, time trial or both??
And what will his chances be because the route is pretty hilly which means he perhaps may need to lose some weight.
Road Race. He doesn't care about TT anymore.
It's more difficult than Mendrisio and my feeling is that it's too difficult for him but you never know. It's good that he gives it a serious try.
Old 02-02-13, 15:34

how difficult is it? I mean which riders do you think the course suits? I would really love to see him try. Who can be the main threat? a spring classics rider or an explosive climber?