National Football League - Page 219 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 02-01-13, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I got the 49ers, cuz I like that feller tell'n it how it is about teh gay in that city of sin San Francisco.
ChrisE, have i told you recently that i love you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpe d'Huez View Post
Ahhh, things are clearing up a little.

Edit: Meant with nothing but humor and admiration.
if i looked like that...

Last edited by thirteen; 02-02-13 at 07:45.
Old 02-02-13, 01:28

I’m taking the 49ers minus the points. I think they will win and easily cover the spread. The main thing they have to worry about is the Ravens’ deep passing game, which could burn them. But I think the Niners' offense will score often against the Birds.

I find it interesting that some of last year’s Giants haters are big Ravens fans. Like the Giants last year, the Ravens have come off an up-and-down season in which they didn’t look at all like a SB contender most of the time, and lost a lot of games in the second half of the schedule. When the Giants went all the way last year, people said they were “lucky”. But as the Ravens keep winning in the postseason this year, many of these same people are saying, “they are on a roll”. Translation: they’re lucky just like the Giants, but I don’t want to admit it, because I’m a fan of them.

Don’t tell me the Ravens are a better team than the Giants were. The Ravens were 9 point underdogs in not one but two of their playoff victories. Never happened before. The Giants were not that big an underdog in any of their playoff games. The only big surprise was the victory over the Packers, and they had played them close a few weeks earlier. The Ravens beat NE in the regular season, but that was early in the schedule. Much later in the season they were beaten very decisively by Denver.

If the Ravens do win the SB, though, I will consider them more deserving than the Giants, because they have been a consistent playoff team the past several years, and as I noted in a previous post, have won at least one postseason game every year under Flacco. They've had seasons, particularly last year, when they would have been a deserving SB team, and didn't make it. Whereas the Giants are more boom and bust, either going all the way or not making the postseason at all.

By the way, this is only the second time in history that the SB has featured two teams that lost the conference final the previous year. The other time was SB30, Dallas and Pittsburgh.

Interesting article on the two QBs, and the role of arm strength. Foxxy ain't gonna like it.

Quote:
Receiver Michael Crabtree said players would rotate back in line during passing drills to avoid Kaepernick’s turn to throw. Tight end Vernon Davis described Kaepernick as a “freak,” adding, “He’ll take your fingers off if you don’t watch it.”
Quote:
Despite Flacco’s and Kaepernick’s ability to throw far and fast, however, [Gil] Brandt and others argued that arm strength on its own garnered too much attention. When Brandt worked for the Cowboys, they used a radar gun on potential prospects. One player, whose name he could not recall, registered throws at 60 m.p.h. Phil Simms clocked in at 49.

Guess how that turned out.

Brandt was more interested in quarterbacks who threw accurate passes, who had strong work ethics, who did not linger on mistakes. He ranked arm strength as the eighth- or ninth-most fundamental attribute in a quarterback. For every rifle-armed Elway, there was a Joe Montana, king of the soft touch. Brandt said Rudy Bukich was the hardest thrower he ever saw. Bukich played 14 seasons in the 1950s and ’60s, but he threw more interceptions than touchdowns.

“Arm strength is not as important as you’re often led to believe,” Brandt said.
Quote:
Dr. Glenn Fleisig, the research director at the American Sports Medicine Institute, a biomechanics research laboratory, has studied and analyzed such matters, mostly in regard to pitchers but also for quarterbacks. In one study, Fleisig’s team looked at both throwing motions to determine whether it was helpful for high school and college athletes to pitch and play quarterback at the same time. They also studied Texas Rangers pitchers, who threw footballs to warm up.

The researchers found the throwing motions largely similar. Quarterbacks held the ball closer to their heads, stood more upright, took shorter strides. The researchers studied what they called “optimal” football mechanics, throws made during drop-backs, not off balance or on the run. They found that both pitchers and quarterbacks planted their feet, rotated their hips and upper trunks, and flipped their shoulders forward, creating a whiplike motion.

“It’s the full body, not just the arm,” Fleisig said. “It’s a kinetic chain, a series of coordinated events. The arm is actually the last part of that chain.”

Last edited by Merckx index; 02-02-13 at 02:14.
Old 02-02-13, 07:43

so as it stands right now:

Ravens

Foxxy

Amster

Glenn

thirteen

Niners

Alpe

ChrisE

Merckx
Old 02-02-13, 18:24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merckx index View Post
I’m taking the 49ers minus the points. I think they will win and easily cover the spread. The main thing they have to worry about is the Ravens’ deep passing game, which could burn them. But I think the Niners' offense will score often against the Birds
This is mostly what I see. I can see Baltimore stuffing the 49ers on some series, but not throughout the game. I see the 49ers able to spread the Ravens pass defense, and run Gore. Not with consistency every down, but enough over the game to make a difference. I also however see the Ravens WR's catching some big passes, providing the 49ers pass rush can't get to Flacco.

As to arm strength, two comments on this. Some of the greatest QBs in history didn't have strong arms, but had great accuracy. Joe Montana comes to mind. Mike Martz was asked what the three most important factors in picking a QB, he listed "1. Accuracy. 2. Accuracy. 3. Accuracy." As I pointed out in other posts, arm strength sure is handy, but only if you're accurate and good decision maker. JaMarcus Russell and Jim Druckenmiller had two of the strongest arms to ever enter the NFL. How did their careers turn out? However, Colt Brennan came into the NFL with a weak, but accurate arm, and never really got very far either. So there's exceptions to every rule. A strong arm is going to help, I'd rather have a QB with a strong arm than a week arm, but it's not everything, not even most important to most experts (like Martz).

As an aside, Andy Dalton came into the league with a below average "arm" but got "stronger" this season. How? Partly by lifting weights, but more so by working on his footwork. Say what? Yep.

“Throwing the football all comes down to footwork,” Dalton said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer...

Dalton actually did a good job of allaying fears about his arm strength last season. He had the best completion percentage in the league on deep balls over the middle, but he struggled throwing the ball down the field toward either sideline. Improved footwork would be one way to address that problem...
Old 02-03-13, 01:44

So 13, can you get out for 24 hours and make it up to Sin City? Not sure where you are, but you can get here in just under two hours from the Brussels ring. If not, we could maybe exchange phone numbers by PM and keep in touch by text?

Wadda ya say? Go on? How many extra beers should I get in?

GO RAVENS!!

(ok, I've had a few, I'm in training for tomorrow.)
Old 02-03-13, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
so as it stands right now:

Ravens

Foxxy

Amster

Glenn

thirteen

Niners

Alpe

ChrisE

Merckx
Bwahahahahaha! I am with the best mod on this forum and it's smartest poster. No way I am wrong! You Raven pickers are gonna fall like **** from a tall cow's ***!

Quote:
ChrisE, have i told you recently that i love you?
No, but I always knew you did.

Can you please send me a picture? I was really hoping the one Alpe posted was you. I have a difficult time returning my love unless I know what somebody looks like, and they are hot.
Old 02-03-13, 17:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Bwahahahahaha! I am with the best mod on this forum and it's smartest poster. No way I am wrong! You Raven pickers are gonna fall like **** from a tall cow's ***!
I'm flattered. And, I was right last year in my pick of the underdog Giants. However, the ex-pat from Clogland who calls this sport "Hand Egg" had a better picking ratio than me this year.

Quote:
Can you please send me a picture? I was really hoping the one Alpe posted was you.
I think that is her, but you'd need to look this dashing (and be this smart) to entice her.

Old 02-03-13, 18:18

Quote:
I think that is her, but you'd need to look this dashing (and be this smart) to entice her.

Alpe, you speak the truth! dashing and smart (with a wicked sense of humour) and, well... trust me, i'm worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
So 13, can you get out for 24 hours and make it up to Sin City? Not sure where you are, but you can get here in just under two hours from the Brussels ring. If not, we could maybe exchange phone numbers by PM and keep in touch by text?

Wadda ya say? Go on? How many extra beers should I get in?

GO RAVENS!!

(ok, I've had a few, I'm in training for tomorrow.)
Amster, good training!

alas, can't make it to Sin City, sob, because i am getting ready for another trip to the States and that would just f*** me up too much.

will PM my details and hope you drink enough for both of us (insert smiley face that i can't use because of board restrictions, gah! better yet, insert smiley face chugging beer).
Old 02-03-13, 19:04

Quote:
I'm flattered. And, I was right last year in my pick of the underdog Giants. However, the ex-pat from Clogland who calls this sport "Hand Egg" had a better picking ratio than me this year.

Well, don't let it go to your head. Being the best mod in here is setting the bar pretty low; it's like being king of the dip****s.

That was a picture of 13? She has pointed knees so that is a drawback. Plus I'm not black.
Old 02-03-13, 20:37

Niners. Niners.