Dried fruit for carbs while climbing? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 09-16-12, 18:20

Default Dried fruit for carbs while climbing?

I am tired of gels and sports drinks for sustained energy while cycling moderate to steep hills and have switched to dried fruit (most with added sugar).

I have read that the fructose in fruit isn't immediately useful to the muscles. Am I shorting myself on some energy doing this?
Old 09-16-12, 19:27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikebottles View Post
I am tired of gels and sports drinks for sustained energy while cycling moderate to steep hills and have switched to dried fruit (most with added sugar).

I have read that the fructose in fruit isn't immediately useful to the muscles. Am I shorting myself on some energy doing this?
It could be a good experiment. But . . . two things:

1) "Dried fruit" = your body needs to rehydrate the fruit. This is not normally work you want to give your body when climbing, and it will contribute to dehydration. (So perhaps better to hydrate the fruit before the ride to address this.)

2) Digestion = solid foods (and especially uncooked foods) take longer and more energy to digest. So you are also taking energy away from your legs and other muscles to digest dried fruit.

Fresh fruit in a smoothie drink would seem to be the best to me.

(Suggestion: Try chia seeds. Hydrate them first. They carry approximately 9 times their weight in water when hydrated, so this can also be a source of keeping you hydrated during a long climb/ride.)
Old 09-16-12, 23:15

Default Makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLyn View Post
It could be a good experiment. But . . . two things:

1) "Dried fruit" = your body needs to rehydrate the fruit. This is not normally work you want to give your body when climbing, and it will contribute to dehydration. (So perhaps better to hydrate the fruit before the ride to address this.)

2) Digestion = solid foods (and especially uncooked foods) take longer and more energy to digest. So you are also taking energy away from your legs and other muscles to digest dried fruit.

Fresh fruit in a smoothie drink would seem to be the best to me.

(Suggestion: Try chia seeds. Hydrate them first. They carry approximately 9 times their weight in water when hydrated, so this can also be a source of keeping you hydrated during a long climb/ride.)
I see what you mean, I hadn't thought about the energy needs of digesting the dried fruit taking energy from the legs. Don't want that. Humm...hydrated chia seeds, interesting! Thank you LauraLyn!
Old 09-17-12, 06:58

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

I disagree.

Ive literally won 24hr solo xc races on fruit and water with organic medjool dates being my preference.

Chia seeds are full of fat and protein. They literally take days to digest where as fruit is INSTANT fuel in that it contains fast acting glucose and slower acting fructose. Look at what the gel companies are trying to do: they are using the same ratios of glucose/fructose that most fruits have as science has shown an athlete can take in more sugars per hour aka conserve glycogen stores therefore go harder for longer.

My suggestion is buy boxes of organic medjool dates. Aim for 1g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per hour. So for me at approx 65kg thats around 4 large medjool dates per hour. Pit the dates prior so you can just pop em. Squirt some water in your mouth and chew. There you go. The BEST fuel for any human. Nothing comes close hence why athletes that get majority of their calories from fruit will always outperform themselves when using other fuel sources.

I train around 20% of the average cyclist/runner. My strava times indicate otherwise.

I just ran a 34:19 for 10 000m on Sunday. On just 20km a week jogging. Fruit sure is magic food..

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 09-17-12, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
I disagree.

Ive literally won 24hr solo xc races on fruit and water with organic medjool dates being my preference.

Chia seeds are full of fat and protein. They literally take days to digest where as fruit is INSTANT fuel in that it contains fast acting glucose and slower acting fructose. Look at what the gel companies are trying to do: they are using the same ratios of glucose/fructose that most fruits have as science has shown an athlete can take in more sugars per hour aka conserve glycogen stores therefore go harder for longer.

My suggestion is buy boxes of organic medjool dates. Aim for 1g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per hour. So for me at approx 65kg thats around 4 large medjool dates per hour. Pit the dates prior so you can just pop em. Squirt some water in your mouth and chew. There you go. The BEST fuel for any human. Nothing comes close hence why athletes that get majority of their calories from fruit will always outperform themselves when using other fuel sources.

I train around 20% of the average cyclist/runner. My strava times indicate otherwise.

I just ran a 34:19 for 10 000m on Sunday. On just 20km a week jogging. Fruit sure is magic food..
Aah, dates are a favorite and medjools are sumptuous while having no added sugar. I haven't tried them riding yet. I just did the calculations, I would need about 54 g per hour, just a tad over 2 oz US.

So, the fructose is just slower but not unavailable. I will give this a go. Thank you durianrider!
Old 09-19-12, 10:32

Default Honey

Scratching that - bad advice!

Last edited by LongSprint; 09-19-12 at 11:48. Reason: Bad advice
Old 09-21-12, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
I disagree.

pm me your strava user ID id like to see this
Old 10-13-12, 10:19

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

For anyone wishing to follow me on strava, feel free.

Strava data
Old 02-02-13, 18:44

Default Help to shop fruit baskets online

We are online Fruit baskets manufactures. We go through the process of generating a pretty mobile mockup but we are still away from the success. Obviously we are looking Now for a cheaper solution of this problem. Or current web URL is

http://absinthium30.wix.com/yoursgift

Your help is warmly welcomed.
Jhana
Old 02-02-13, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanakkl View Post
We are online Fruit baskets manufactures. We go through the process of generating a pretty mobile mockup but we are still away from the success. Obviously we are looking Now for a cheaper solution of this problem. Or current web URL is

http://absinthium30.wix.com/yoursgift

Your help is warmly welcomed.
Jhana
I know another fruit basket who will enjoy your product