Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 518 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-03-13, 14:38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rick View Post
Scarponi, the eventual number 2, couldn't follow the pace, every Sky rider but Wiggins and Froome would be smoked immediately
Hard to reason. A weak lead-out by Lampre entailed that attack. Sky train wouldn't obviously have let Contador attack so early. By the way, there are a lot of windy 4-5% sectors. For who it is more suitable?

Last edited by airstream; 02-03-13 at 14:42.
Old 02-03-13, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Contador would have gone nowhere if Sky were on Etna.
How do you come to this conclusion? In 2011 Porte rode for Contador at the Giro and was not much help. Froome was still somewhat an unknown quantity and Wiggins hadn't hired his swim coach (at least I don't think he had). I don't think Sky, in 2011, could have done anything to stop Contador on Etna (or any stage of the 2011 Giro).

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesnít like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
Old 02-03-13, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publicus View Post
How do you come to this conclusion? In 2011 Porte rode for Contador at the Giro and was not much help. Froome was still somewhat an unknown quantity and Wiggins hadn't hired his swim coach (at least I don't think he had). I don't think Sky, in 2011, could have done anything to stop Contador on Etna (or any stage of the 2011 Giro).
Lol, nicely done
Old 02-03-13, 14:48
Banned

Quote:
We are looking into this story in this year's realities based on riders' capacities we know today.

Last edited by airstream; 02-03-13 at 14:51.
Old 02-03-13, 14:48

Quote:
The characteristics of Etna make it very well suited to a group of riders working together. Any team with 4 of the strongest 10-15 riders would not allow anyone to gain a minute off the front of the bunch. When it came down to it Froome and Wiggins working together even if individually not as strong as Contador would be better than Contador dragging the little guy along.
Old 02-03-13, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
The characteristics of Etna make it very well suited to a group of riders working together. Any team with 4 of the strongest 10-15 riders would not allow anyone to gain a minute off the front of the bunch. When it came down to it Froome and Wiggins working together even if individually not as strong as Contador would be better than Contador dragging the little guy along.
It seems to me that Liquigas and Lampre had two the strongest guys and teams and still couldn't mount a meaningful challenge. The fact the Team Sky struggled (somewhat) to dispatch Nibbles in the 2012 "mountains" makes the proposition of them corralling/dispatching 2011 Contador (with their 2011 form) highly dubious.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Sky in 2013. I think the 2012 has over-inflated their abilities a touch.

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

Old 02-03-13, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
We are looking into this story in this year's realities based on riders' capacities we know today.
In the States we call that "cherry-picking"

Old 02-03-13, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
So does it mean Andy will ride more than Alberto this year?
I fixed for you: " So does it mean Andy will enter more than Alberto this year?"
you know that entering does not guaranty "riding" when it comes to Andy
Old 02-03-13, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstream View Post
I have trouble with that. "how do we know " capacity" Often, performance is dictated by strategy and motivation and a rider deliver what is needed for the his goals. We cannot honestly predict future outcome solely based on what we see today because history has shown us many times that racers with great capacities have faltered while others have gone behind what we assume was their limits simply on 'heart" and courage. Froome will have to show something more than what we know so far. Contador has proven he can win, Froome hasn't
Old 02-03-13, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Nielsen View Post
Lol. I was just about to ask LaFlorecita which one she fancied, because you just now she has picked at least one. And these arent even to old for her.

by the way they all look so bored