Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-03-13, 19:57

Ryder has always been looking at a Giro - Tour double.
Unfortunately it was scuppered last year so he will have to learn his lesson this year.

But if you are doing something good then why change it?
I think that though Ryder is relatively old the chances he wins the Tour are much less likely than the Giro and defending the Giro would really seal him as a proper GT winner.
Old 02-03-13, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froome19 View Post
Ryder has always been looking at a Giro - Tour double.
Unfortunately it was scuppered last year so he will have to learn his lesson this year.

But if you are doing something good then why change it?
I think that though Ryder is relatively old the chances he wins the Tour are much less likely than the Giro and defending the Giro would really seal him as a proper GT winner.
He is already a proper GT winner, what with having won a GT and all. Doesn't have to prove himself, he should just look at getting the most prestigious result he can. I doubt he will win either, but there's no doubt he could get a high placing in whichever he chooses to go for.
Old 02-03-13, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV1973 View Post
THIS IS FASCINATING. Thanks.

I didn't have an SRM on for Ventoux, but I would say 6.6 would be about right, perhaps a bit low, as Ventoux tends to be windy and the cx might be a bit higher than on other climbs. Also, I had been testing on 15-20 min climbs in more the 6.8 region, prior to race. Mayo was on a newly paved road and an oddly zero wind day. I know, as I was there for OLN to interview Mayo (Phil and Paul don't speak Spanish, oddly enough)..

That's not to say Mayo wouldn't have beaten me, but maybe by a bit less!

But 6.35 vs 6.7 leaves us with a .35 difference or around 5-6%... Which would make sense as my natural hct at this time of year would be 48%. For Ventoux it was doped to 52%. So, an 8% gain in hb mass. This would lead to a 4-6% increase in power at FTP, considering the high density of the blood already (as to say 38% to 42% would lead to a slightly more linear relationship gain, as O2 delivery efficiency is greater, per red cell, in a less crowded blood stream)

This is a great example of why I do rely on numbers to give me an indication of whether doping is happening and whether its effective, more than I rely on rumors etc etc. The rumors can sometimes prove to be correct on IF doping is happening, but whether it's method is effective is another story.

Clearly EPO in 1999 was effective.

JV
I am glad you appreciated my effort

After your Ventoux victory in 1999 I exchanged a few emails with an occasionanal cyclist and fan of yours whom you possibly know, Nat Bostwick from Denver. His name had been mentioned in the newspaper (Dauphiné Libéré) the next day. He used to be a geologist and we had met a few years before in Quito (I think he switched to real estate)!

Anyways, thanks for your power estimate concerning your Ventoux climb.

Possibly in 2001, I remember hearing you (or somebody quoting you) on some radio saying that to climb Alpe d'Huez in around 38 : 00 (ie. like L.A. had done) you needed a VO2 max of around 94 ml ( which was also my own estimate). And this at the end of a hard mountain stage yet!

Considering that the top VO2 values quoted for LA were in the low 80's and well documented ( like in the June 1996 Scientific American), I was pleased to have confirmation of what I had known about him since 1999 ( or even the 1998 Vuelta)

From Rabo, to USPS, to Phonak.

JV says Ryder is clean. But with the Biopassport so clearly flawed in 2012, JV is yet to give us a tangible reason why we should take his word for it.

More correct would be to say we don't and can't know if Ryder is clean or not.

Two small notes for which I accept to get slammed:

1. Geert wrote training schedules for Sven. Who wrote Ryder's schedules when he was at Rabo?

2. At the 2004 Olympics, I assume just after leaving Rabo for USPS, Ryder was leading the field and on his way to a gold medal (source wikipedia). He missed out on the gold medal due to a flat tire close to the finish (don't know exactly how close). We know those games weren't all that clean, with Bart Brentjens coming in 3rd, José Antonio Hermida in 2nd.

Obviously none of this is evidence that Ryder's dirty.
The point is: there is very little to assume he's clean, other than JV's word.

Last edited by sniper; 02-03-13 at 20:24.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caruut View Post
He is already a proper GT winner, what with having won a GT and all. Doesn't have to prove himself, he should just look at getting the most prestigious result he can. I doubt he will win either, but there's no doubt he could get a high placing in whichever he chooses to go for.
What I meant is that he will really show he has the goods. Defending a GT, anyone at that is something which not just any GT rider does.
Old 02-03-13, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatclimber View Post
Nice work! Like the rest, I would very much like to see your updates in the future.

Actually, provided your calculations/contributing factors are accurate, (not questioning that) that information would be book-worthy.
Thanks.

book-worthy Unfortunately I know how I am, something else will catch my attention and I will end up being sidetracked for months

But who knows, maybe not this time.
Old 02-03-13, 20:26

Ryder winning the Giro with Wiggins in a decent shape and no accidents? I just don't see that happening, especially with this year's course. Will be interesting to hear what JV says if Ryder gets trounced...

Last edited by webvan; 02-03-13 at 20:28.
Old 02-03-13, 20:27

Quote:
Great post man.
Thanks Caruut.
Old 02-03-13, 20:30

Quote:
Every 20 years a legend of the sport retains the Giro

52 53 - Coppi
72-73 Merckx
92-93 Indurain
Only Hejsedal can do 2012 - 2013.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.
Old 02-03-13, 20:35

Quote:
The answer is funny as heck.
Anyhow, back to your question: That last 2% that allowed me to go crazy fast? Beyond the dope? I had a nasty breakup w a girlfriend and kinda didn't eat much for like a week, mid/Late April. I lost 2kgs because of that. Which put me down around 59kgs. I never raced that light again.

JV
You really are a funny guy sometimes, no sarcasm here.

And good at dodging questions too. How much did the EPO attribute in your training? Endulge me on that one.
Quote:
BTW - Allen was hardly central. Our best years have been since he left. As i later found, there are better sports scientists. He was just a very good promotor.

JV
I tend to think this is a bit of sour, but I guess you are right on that one, Lim we already discussed in the past.
Quote:
Pre tour medicals don't exist anymore.

Of course the numbers can be manipulated, but not it you calculate it yourself, as our fine mathematician just did.

Don't believe what's put out there. get out the stop watch and calculator.
And why are they not there anymore? Do you not think that is strange?

Le Breton did a great job, as allways we might say!

Stopwatch and calculator? What about using the eyes? Who is doing what? Putting that in historic perspective?

Thanks for the answers, glad there is another way of communicating than b!tching
[works 2 ways of course]

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily
#Tour 1990, Luz Ardiden (13.30 km, 7.44 %, 989 m). Greg LeMond: 39 min 46 sec, 20.07 Kph, VAM 1492 m/h, ~5.40-5.50 W/kg.