Will Nibali ever win the Tour? - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

View Poll Results: Will Nibali ever win the Tour?
Yes 20 16.67%
No 100 83.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-13, 06:47

Unfortunately no. Maybe Astana puts a great team behind him as a GC captain and it's a status well deserved, but he lacks some engine/endurance in 3 weeks stage races. And descents are the only discipline where he is clearly a superior rider.

However I hope he can defeat Wiggo in Italy.

Last edited by Forunculo; 02-04-13 at 09:11.
Old 02-04-13, 07:38

Nibali will definitely win the Giro.

I just don't see him joining the legends by winning all 3 GTs
Old 02-04-13, 08:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
despite voting no on the win i love how people continue to underrate nibali saying he will be lucky if he podiums again mentioning TJVG as some1 with more GT potential then him . . .

this reminds me of 2010 when we were all sure kreuziguer and gesink had 10 times the talent nibali had
Tejay Van Garderen has much more talent/GT potential than Nibali. Nibali is a rider who has improved a lot year by year. And today is a great rider. But with the age of TVG Vincenzo was nobody in comparison with the american. What did Nibali with 23/24 years? At this age Van Garderen is the fifth of a Tour de France, best young rider and one of the five bests GT riders in the TT. I am not saying VG will **** Nibali in a couple of years, we dont now yet. But the guy has more potential than the sicilian.

Last edited by Jason_Mercier; 02-04-13 at 08:25.
Old 02-04-13, 08:12

Yes if it is constant descent - Nibali wins hands down!

In any case he is such a joy to watch even when he comes 2nd or 3rd
coz he shows he's trying hard. Lovable shark!
Old 02-04-13, 08:17

I think he can, but that's probably just blind fanboyism on my part .
Old 02-04-13, 08:53

Yes, he will because even an oldish brit can do it
Old 02-04-13, 09:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
Let's see

This year Contador, Froome...
Next year Contador, Froome, Wiggins, probably Van Garderen, Pinot, Quintana, Talansky..
2015 Contador, Froome, Wiggins, probably Van Garderen, Pinot, Quintana, Talansky, Kelderman, Dombrowski, Chaves...

NO WAY. A PODIUM one more time probably.
I love the way you completely rule out andy schleck. Whats wrong with you?! You mention guys like pinot and quintana who are clearly big talents when it comes to grand tours but you completely rule out andy who has come second in 4 grand tours? I am no fan of his attitude tp racing but he is the second best climber there is after contador.
Old 02-04-13, 09:14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
If Sastre, Evans & Wiggo were able to win the Tour, then why can't Nibali win it as well? All of them entirely underestimated & yet they did it during their early thirties, so Vincenzo has the years to develop further his abilities & somehow he- like the ones I mentioned-finds himself in a situation where he can win it. It'd be unwise to count him out.
All of them had much more prerequisites to become a Tour winner than current Nibali

Let's expect top-10 from Quintana at least and a cascade of resultative attacks from Pinot in order to build such ambitious plans for them.

Last edited by airstream; 02-04-13 at 09:18.
Old 02-04-13, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Mercier View Post
Tejay Van Garderen has much more talent/GT potential than Nibali. Nibali is a rider who has improved a lot year by year. And today is a great rider. But with the age of TVG Vincenzo was nobody in comparison with the american. What did Nibali with 23/24 years? At this age Van Garderen is the fifth of a Tour de France, best young rider and one of the five bests GT riders in the TT. I am not saying VG will **** Nibali in a couple of years, we dont now yet. But the guy has more potential than the sicilian.
Let's wait before Tejay gets more results than 5th in the Tour. Gesink got 5th in the Tour at that age as well, I don't think anyone considers him a potential Tour winner either.
Old 02-04-13, 09:28
Banned

It is unlikely but not impossible.

It depends on the field and the amount of problems the other contenders have during the race.

It would probably need a route with not a huge amount of TTing, and some big stages finishing in descents or small climbs after long descents.

He is highly unlikely to be either the best climber or the best TTer in the race so it is hard for him to gain time over rivals except descents.