Doping in Soccer/Football - Page 54 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-04-13, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
Apparently, AS will publish tomorrow allegations by former Real Sociedad (2007-2009) president Iñaki Badiola that the team used slush funds to purchase doping products for 6 years (presumably 2001-2007).
Picked up by the hate mail but not by any of the other British press.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...#axzz2JsL8cj7P

It would be pandemonium if it ever came out that Fabrice Muamba or Marc Vivian Foe had ever used EPO or blood doping.
Old 02-04-13, 12:39

I'm not so sure on Muamba (can strokes be caused by EPO?) but all these sudden cardiac arrests we're seeing- like Foe's, Puerta's, Dani Jarquez's etc., I can see parallels to early EPO use in cycling in the 80s with all those Dutch and Belgian cyclists that passed away.
Old 02-04-13, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabet View Post
I'm not so sure on Muamba (can strokes be caused by EPO?) but all these sudden cardiac arrests we're seeing- like Foe's, Puerta's, Dani Jarquez's etc., I can see parallels to early EPO use in cycling in the 80s with all those Dutch and Belgian cyclists that passed away.
Yes, EPO can cause strokes. At the risk of bringing in the teenagers, Contador's stroke has been attributed to EPO usage.

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal
Old 02-04-13, 13:34

Former Real Sociedad player (2001-2004) Bjørn Tore Kvarme says in an interview with VG that he got tested 2-3 times a year. Anti-doping in football is a joke
Old 02-04-13, 15:05

José Luis Astiazarán, RSOC president from 2001-2005, now president of the Spanish Profi-Liga (), denies allegations.

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/er...-a-881381.html
Old 02-04-13, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinneach View Post
This is a good time to bury bad news in Spain...all eyes are on the prime minister just now, who looks shiftier than Fagan & Rassmussen combined!
Rajoy has gone into Lance-mode (stonehard denial of well-documented fraud). Perhaps he sees an opportunity here to bury his corruption under a large-scale soccer doping scandal.

As far as I'm able to tell, sport, especially soccer, is the principal binding material of the Spanish nation at present, and you sense that Spain at this point (with unemployment rate at a record height, the government undressed) would have a hard time coping with a nation-wide doping scandal.

But even if many in Spain would love to cover this up, there is still the international press who seem to smell blood and unwilling to hold back following the Lance-charade.

Last edited by sniper; 02-04-13 at 15:25.
Old 02-04-13, 15:28

You all are just jealous of Spain's sporting successes...
Old 02-04-13, 15:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descender View Post
You all are just jealous of Spain's sporting successes...
of course you're only joking, but the truth is that it would be quite bitter and unjust if Spain became the scapegoat in (viz. the single target of) a soccer PED scandal.
Old 02-04-13, 15:38

Surely it's only a coincidence, but I couldn't help but raise an eyebrow when I read Xabi Alonso has been pulled out of the Spanish team before the friendly against Uruguay. That despite the fact he played the whole match for Real Madrid on Saturday and didn't seem to have any physical problem.
Old 02-04-13, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper View Post
of course you're only joking, but the truth is that it would be quite bitter and unjust if Spain became the scapegoat in (viz. the single target of) a soccer PED scandal.
It's also "unfair" in a sense that Real, a small team who won exactly zilch, would be the first (only?) ones to be exposed, but you gotta start somewhere, and all of them willingly took the risk. So screw them.