Who are the best/worst bike handlers in the peloton? - Page 8 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-04-13, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruppeto993 View Post
The title is self explanatory. List the best/worst bike handlers in the peloton.
Sagan, Cancellara, Gilbert are amongst the best.
Menchov, Schlecks, Gesink amongst the worst?
Sagan, Canc. For sure. Actually, I think you hit it pretty well there. I tend not to pay too much attention to the guys who are doing bad - but a sprinter or couple of guys crossing wheels in the last 500 come to mind. Just no names with the picture!
Old 02-04-13, 21:20

from some riders themselves including kroon they say jj haedo is the best bike handler they've ever seen
Old 02-04-13, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
from some riders themselves including kroon they say jj haedo is the best bike handler they've ever seen
from which country is haedo again? Region is enough to get this, right?
Old 02-05-13, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miburo View Post
from which country is haedo again? Region is enough to get this, right?
Haedo is Argentine. For the record, he is actually a pretty good bike handler. Try and follow him in the last km of a sprint, he moves up through the bunch - often alone - quickly and relatively risk free only to appear at the end.

As far as worst bike handler goes I used to say if you were dressed in orange and not named Sanchez then you were in the running for that title. Then Rabobank pulled its sponsorship...
Old 02-05-13, 05:13

Robbie McEwen was one of the best ever. I think Sagan probably holds the current title. Fearless. With the skill to go with it. He'll win Milan San Remo this year.
Old 02-05-13, 05:44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfold View Post
This is one of the best saves I've seen - excellent drop technique and then the skid looks like he is giving it some whip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXEFbquqsFo
This is a good example of a good bike handler making a mistake, tackling the corner too fast, but using his skills to save himself.

There are the skills of descending with the bike handling but also the mental judgement of how much to push, how fast to go around corners. A rider can have good skills but if they over estimate how fast they can tackle corners they might crash a lot more than a rider who has worse skills but rides to those skills.
Sprinters are probably amongst the best bike handlers but we do not get to see them descend as often. One I do remember is Thor Hushovd descending by himself in the rain on a tour de france stage which was pretty impressive. Not sure which year even.
Riding on cobbles is a skill in itself.

I agree with the Sagan and Nibali, the whole Liquigas team (minus Basso) seemed to be quite good. Perhaps having Nibali on the team helped them all, especially if he pushed the on training rides.
Old 02-05-13, 06:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
As far as worst bike handler goes I used to say if you were dressed in orange and not named Sanchez then you were in the running for that title. Then Rabobank pulled its sponsorship...
I'm shocked!!! Lars Boom flew the orange. You can't be a bad handler and world-class 'crosser. "best" is kind of tough to define, but I'd put Boom in there. Lots of other good choices mentioned.

Worst goes to the Schlecks.

http://www.gofundme.com/a4mlho

https://twitter.com/FitnessLawyer

This is a good time for her to tell her story.
Old 02-05-13, 07:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWorks View Post
I'm shocked!!! Lars Boom flew the orange. You can't be a bad handler and world-class 'crosser. "best" is kind of tough to define, but I'd put Boom in there. Lots of other good choices mentioned.

Worst goes to the Schlecks.
You got me there Boom is pretty good!

Let's be honest though, Rabo and Euskaltel could provide a feature length gag reel with their exploits over the years...
Old 02-05-13, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkybiker View Post
Robbie McEwen was one of the best ever. I think Sagan probably holds the current title. Fearless. With the skill to go with it. He'll win Milan San Remo this year.
Sagan definitely has the "Best Wheelier" title sewn up!

Old 02-05-13, 08:24

Purito back in 2009 when he was on Caisse,