Alberto Contador Discussion Thread - Page 526 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-05-13, 10:58

How can you fail if you do everything in your capacity to win it?

Making a mistake which costs you a race you would have otherwise won would be a failure, but not winning a race where you're not the strongest man can never be considered a failure.
Old 02-05-13, 11:12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
How can you fail if you do everything in your capacity to win it?

Making a mistake which costs you a race you would have otherwise won would be a failure, but not winning a race where you're not the strongest man can never be considered a failure.
When you have a goal, you can succeed and you can fail to achieve it.
Contador has done it before, has capacity and clearly intends to do it again, so we can speak about success and failure.
Old 02-05-13, 11:16

When has Contador beaten Chris Froome in a GT (a proper Froome, that is)?

Cadel Evans sets himself the goal of winning the Tour every year, has achieved it once, does not mean the other 7 seasons have been failures or that he has failed in the Tour when he has not won it.

Last edited by Ferminal; 02-05-13 at 11:19.
Old 02-05-13, 11:20

The route suits Contador this year and with the new additions to the Saxo team he shouldn't lose too much time in the TTT.

Froome is always liable to crack if he tries to follow the attacks of AC and AS. His best shot would be to ride tempo like last year but something tells me he will try to go toe-to-toe with the climbers.
Old 02-05-13, 11:36
Banned

Quote:

Cadel Evans sets himself the goal of winning the Tour every year, has achieved it once, does not mean the other 7 seasons have been failures or that he has failed in the Tour when he has not won it.
You're kidding me, right?
Maybe you should tell me what meaning in your dictionary have words "failure", "success", "to fail" and "to succeed".

You can try to achieve something, and you can either succeed or fail. That's how I understand it.
Old 02-05-13, 11:40

Quote:

When has Chris Froome beaten Contador in a GT (a proper Contador, that is)?

All jokes aside, that's what makes this year so interesting. So many open questions that will be answered soon enough: (i) was Contador performance at the 2012 Vuelta a result of a lack of race fitness or does he just not have the top end that he once had, (ii) is Froome all hype and circumstance, or is he the real deal, (iii) will Andy be able to fully recover from his injury and return to his old form. I just hope all of the protagonist make it to the Tour healthy and without major injury. I want to see them ALL at their absolute best, so these questions can be asked AND answered.

"I have no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest" Alberto Contador

"We should all have more cake. Who doesn’t like cake?" Oleg Tinkov
Old 02-05-13, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfla View Post
You're kidding me, right?
Maybe you should tell me what meaning in your dictionary have words "failure", "success", "to fail" and "to succeed".

You can try to achieve something, and you can either succeed or fail. That's how I understand it.
In that case how do you have degrees of success or failure. If not achieving a goal is failure, it is impossible for anything to be a "serious" failure.
Old 02-05-13, 11:46

This pointless internet discussion seems to focus on one person talking about failing at a task, and someone else interpreting that to mean the person themselves is therefore a failure, which I hope no one is trying to claim.
Old 02-05-13, 11:48
Banned

Quote:
In that case how do you have degrees of success or failure. If not achieving a goal is failure, it is impossible for anything to be a "serious" failure.
Are you trolling?
You should treat "serious fail" like a figure of speech. Hyperbole.
Appropriate one, since Contador's season evolves around the Tour, so it would be a failure and it would be serious 'cause all his (and team's) resources are engaged in achieving the goal.
Old 02-05-13, 11:57

I apologise, the way I interpreted the figure of speech made me believe it was suggesting underachievement.