Moderators - Page 324 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 02-05-13, 11:04

You're accusing the moderators of knowingly allowing a banned member to hold a secondary, active account?
Old 02-05-13, 11:08

Any accounts which are circumventing a suspension/ban are banned on detection, with additional punishment faced if that person was on a temporary suspension.
Old 02-05-13, 11:15

The wrong question?
Old 02-05-13, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferminal View Post
Any accounts which are circumventing a suspension/ban are banned on detection, with additional punishment faced if that person was on a temporary suspension.
just check where his ip is from. if he uses a proxy or different pc it could just be detected as well. everyone knows it's hoggie. more pathetic even than I thought. if you get banned just take it like I do all the time
Old 02-05-13, 11:52
Administrator

The ip is significantly different. That's as far as I can tell since I'm not into the details. Anyway, as Ferminal suggested, you should not hint that mods would circumvent their own rules just for a well known user.

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
Old 02-05-13, 13:26
Banned

I think that if you have a suspicion that a banned user is posting under another name contact the moderators privately, report a post or send a private message. The moderators can then look at the evidence and decide whether the evidence shows they are the same poster.
This will not get the user banned, there might not be enough evidence or you might have made a mistake, they happen. The moderators might even agree that there are a reason to be suspicious but if the proof is not there they cannot do much.
We have a group of shiny new moderators full of energy and raring to go to fulfill there new role, let them do what they have volunteered to do.

As posters lets enjoy ourselves in posting, to the best of our ability and knowledge, quality posts.
Old 02-06-13, 14:23

Having just read through the 'Armstrong under criminal investigation' topic in the Clinic, I really feel compelled to express my concerns and ask some questions.

I found it extremely distasteful to see how a new poster with an unpopular opinion was jumped on, and subsequently banned in record time. Since no clarification or explanation has been posted in the usual sticky here, my question is quite simply - was this poster found to be a sockpuppet of someone previously banned? If so, fine, and end of story.

If not, I really think that some explanation should be forthcoming, because on the surface, this looks like some of the usual suspects jumping on a new poster for nothing more than an extremely unpopular opinion, but one that any poster should have a right to express without being treated in such a way. Is it now unacceptable on CN to express the opinion that maybe LA shouldn't go to jail?

To be clear, I totally disagreed with that poster and would personally be more than happy to see LA get his just desserts and do time. But, this poster expressed his opinion in a reasonable way, and should in any open society/forum be entitled to that opinion without immediately getting banned for it.
Old 02-06-13, 14:44

Default As the other thread was closed and my last comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Benson View Post
MJM,

You're well within your rights to have an opinion but if anything it's boiled over now. Take this thread for an example, Susan posts a note to say we have new mods and there are a number of positive posts that come. Then you jump in saying she can't do her job. Sure, that's an opinion, but it's a move so telegraphed and repetitive that it's essentially becoming bullying. If you don't like CN, that's fine, me, that's fine too, I'm just asking that you lay off the mods and Susan especially.

Daniel
If telling the mods that they are not very good at their jobs is bullying then I am more than happy to ease off. But like I say - how would you like criticism expressed? What would you like us to do when you do make terrible decisions?

BTW - Did you ever get an answer from legal about Joe Papp?

...girls and ****ed 'em at school. All I know is that there were rumours he was into field hockey players

"the only thing worse than reading Cycling News is talking to them" Paul Kimmage

"The four most beautiful words in our common language: I told you so." Gore Vidal

Last edited by Mrs John Murphy; 02-06-13 at 14:49.
Old 02-06-13, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
Having just read through the 'Armstrong under criminal investigation' topic in the Clinic, I really feel compelled to express my concerns and ask some questions.

I found it extremely distasteful to see how a new poster with an unpopular opinion was jumped on, and subsequently banned in record time. Since no clarification or explanation has been posted in the usual sticky here, my question is quite simply - was this poster found to be a sockpuppet of someone previously banned? If so, fine, and end of story.

If not, I really think that some explanation should be forthcoming, because on the surface, this looks like some of the usual suspects jumping on a new poster for nothing more than an extremely unpopular opinion, but one that any poster should have a right to express without being treated in such a way. Is it now unacceptable on CN to express the opinion that maybe LA shouldn't go to jail?

To be clear, I totally disagreed with that poster and would personally be more than happy to see LA get his just desserts and do time. But, this poster expressed his opinion in a reasonable way, and should in any open society/forum be entitled to that opinion without immediately getting banned for it.
Hammer--- I think it was BPC but who knows. Like you said there was nothing indicating one way or another EXCEPT for the post by the moderator SittingBison who made some statement in the thread and gave a wink emote. That takes care of that...

Sorta sad but interesting that some of the stuff that was being put up last week by "another" now banned poster was interesting and true regarding a twitter exchange by someone who is now a moderator and temp banninated member.

I doubt anyone who still supports any side of an argument in Lance Armstrong's defense will receive any treatment different than what we just witnessed in that thread. I base my opinion on the twitter convo that took place a week ago. By the way if it was not such a bad conversation why would someone go through the trouble to delete it after the fact?
Old 02-06-13, 15:06

Who is this BPC this forum is getting so worked up of? The reverse Hog?

If it was, it should be in the member suspension thread.

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily
#Tour 1990, Luz Ardiden (13.30 km, 7.44 %, 989 m). Greg LeMond: 39 min 46 sec, 20.07 Kph, VAM 1492 m/h, ~5.40-5.50 W/kg.