Cyclingnews being used as a propaganda tool...and willingly... - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-10-13, 01:02

Default Cyclingnews being used as a propaganda tool...and willingly...

Seems to me, lately...Cyclingnews is getting alot of the the first stories via doping...exclusive interviews aka armstrong, meetings at Doctor's gates, first comments from DS folk ect ect...whatever...that they are really being used to spread the word and willingly...doping is over aka 2006...lots of info being given, no follow ups but certainly making their money off this BS...I might be misreading the intention but it certainly seems suspect...seems abit too easy.
Old 02-10-13, 01:20

Maybe it is that people are talking for a change?
Old 02-10-13, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master50 View Post
Maybe it is that people are talking for a change?
sure...that is so I think...maybe you are right and that should just be it...but I think it is a double edged thing abit...follow ups might be insisted upon for access...I don't know but it sorta comes off that way...the whole thing comes off alot like festina scandel to me is at times all including the cleanup follow up...don't mean to be too cynical...just would hate to see a good site lose an opportunity in lieu of first stories...but then again I am no journo and don't know how it really works...so maybe, just an idea...that people talking alot for a change is a real opportunity...

Last edited by The Gnome; 02-10-13 at 02:10.
Old 02-10-13, 02:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
...the whole thing comes off alot like festina scandel to me is at times all including the cleanup follow up...don't mean to be too cynical...just would hate to see a good site lose an opportunity in lieu of first stories...but then again I am no journo and don't know how it really works...
I know what you mean with the articles. They seem like propoganda because they have been nothing other than a platform for people to post their view.

In this cyclingnews is more simple reporting rather than anything investigative.

I don't know whether that is an editorial approach taken to ensue their access (and protect their product value because they have that access), or just a lack of journalists with the skills to be able to investigate deeper (not that it would take much to ask some hard questions).

But in terms of cyclingnews being one of the goto places for this, I think that's because it is the place to be to discuss doping in cycling. Other sites are better to discuss other issues, but for doping related issues, this is the best place on the internet and a place many people know about.
Old 02-10-13, 03:09

What's wrong with learning the point of view of people involved in cycling? Rather than look at an article like the one by JV as some sort of Cycling News propaganda I just see it as CN knowing many of us are interested in what JV has to say.

CN has always been about reporting, and not investigating. Of course some people will use that for their own propaganda, but this is not CN's fault. I honestly don't see evidence that CN is promoting a "doping ended in 2006" thing.
Old 02-10-13, 04:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverrocket View Post
What's wrong with learning the point of view of people involved in cycling? Rather than look at an article like the one by JV as some sort of Cycling News propaganda I just see it as CN knowing many of us are interested in what JV has to say.

CN has always been about reporting, and not investigating. Of course some people will use that for their own propaganda, but this is not CN's fault. I honestly don't see evidence that CN is promoting a "doping ended in 2006" thing.
Agreed.

Add that: where the Clinic is the bastion of rational discourse on this topic (except for the sock puppets), reporting on doping aids awareness of the Clinic which can lead sincerely interested people to rational observations and conclusions.

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 02-10-13, 05:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverrocket View Post

This x2. What is CN supposed to do? Drop bomb after bomb after bomb? After a while, no one in cycling would talk to them. Editorially, they do an excellent job walking the line.

In the past, I'd tell you to go to the interns at Velonews. Incredibly, they've had two, yes two(!) stories that were actually critical of the UCI and even the IOC. Prior to those stories, I'd say VN was your main source of doping propaganda.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 02-10-13 at 05:06.
Old 02-10-13, 05:40

Spot on DW, well said.
Old 02-10-13, 08:52

If you think CN is a propaganda machine you don't venture far from their site which only puts you in a bad light, or you are someone wanting their stories to get more clicks for some marginal gains, internet - wise.
Old 02-10-13, 12:52

I think Cycling news does what a lot of us do. Trawl the European Press and find the stories there.