Electronic shifting v Mechanical? - Page 3 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 02-11-13, 04:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
3. Once set up, Di2 never needs to be tuned again unless crashed.
a silly question: What if you need to change your cassette for a different gear ration-lets say for very steep terrain-perhaps the small chain ring as well-do you synchronize it yourself or you have to take it to the shop?
Old 02-11-13, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
Well i don't know anybody with Campag but I have friends withe SRAM Red, Rival, and Dura Ace mechanical, and their shifting while standing is far less smooth. Until you try electronic its totally different, because I thought the same thing before as well. Thats just from my experience though, is your shifting in the front derailleur smooth when standing?
To be Honest i very rarely change the front derailleur under load. Generally under load changes only occur on the rear derailleur. However i am generally cautious when out of the saddle and changing the front derailleur. I simply change the front derailleur until the chain is pushed against the large ring and the pick up pins do the rest.

hfer07 i would have thought that changing gear ratios should not need any re-configuration of the electronic set-up. Only if the Cassette is in a slightly different position on the spline would a re-configuration be needed. The sapcing between the cogs always remains the same. Its just the start of the first cog that varies from hub to hub. This would still just need to be adjusted by the Limit screws on the rear and front derailleur.
Old 02-11-13, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfer07 View Post
a silly question: What if you need to change your cassette for a different gear ration-lets say for very steep terrain-perhaps the small chain ring as well-do you synchronize it yourself or you have to take it to the shop?
Di2 DA 11 speed accommodates a range of 11-29. No need to tune when switching cassettes as spacing doesn't change. If switching between standard and compact, all that is needed is to change the rings not the whole crankset as bolt points are now the same.

I run 3 road racing bikes at the mo each with ratios and wheels to suit different terrain so haven't had to address the issue in practice but the above is what my LBS told me.

PS, my LBS has a computer module that plugs in to tune Di2 - I'm sure u can run it off any PC, but I leave that stuff to my LBS
Old 02-11-13, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkybiker View Post
I'm not hating on electronic group-sets, but I have enough things that plug in already. For me they solve a problem I simply don't have (like tubeless tyres do).

I'm very happy with my new mechanical Super Record 11, as I am with my 10 speed Record on my second bike. My old 9-speed DA will be missed as the bike it is on has now gone to a nephew. It was unbelievably good. I hope he appreciates it for as many years (at least) as I did.
I'm old and lazy so I totally agree with you. Having a reliable system that requires little maintenence is the biggest advantage to me. I still ride the Campy 10 until neutral support cars have a majority of 11 speed wheels. It's not just the gruppo...it's the cogsets, chain, rings....
Old 02-12-13, 04:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiemme View Post
To be Honest i very rarely change the front derailleur under load. Generally under load changes only occur on the rear derailleur. However i am generally cautious when out of the saddle and changing the front derailleur. I simply change the front derailleur until the chain is pushed against the large ring and the pick up pins do the rest.

hfer07 i would have thought that changing gear ratios should not need any re-configuration of the electronic set-up. Only if the Cassette is in a slightly different position on the spline would a re-configuration be needed. The sapcing between the cogs always remains the same. Its just the start of the first cog that varies from hub to hub. This would still just need to be adjusted by the Limit screws on the rear and front derailleur.
Well I don't really change the front derailleur while standing very ofton, but its cools that Di2 can do it so effortlessly, not the like the hold and wait on most mechanical systems, but its not like it makes much of a difference. Its just cool!
Old 02-12-13, 04:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
Di2 DA 11 speed accommodates a range of 11-29. No need to tune when switching cassettes as spacing doesn't change. If switching between standard and compact, all that is needed is to change the rings not the whole crankset as bolt points are now the same.

I run 3 road racing bikes at the mo each with ratios and wheels to suit different terrain so haven't had to address the issue in practice but the above is what my LBS told me.

PS, my LBS has a computer module that plugs in to tune Di2 - I'm sure u can run it off any PC, but I leave that stuff to my LBS
thanks a lot.

I'm old school as far as gruppo selection & shifting option- I have used Campagnolo all my life with an spare bike set up with DA-really pleased with it BTW - perhaps not tempted to do the switch yet since I can't quite justify the cost/benefit of it at the moment, but I know as the Electronic shifting market gets broader & more price friendly, the decision will be made by itself.

to the OP:

I found this video for you to check out-hope it helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESfnJ1nC5FU

Last edited by hfer07; 02-16-13 at 20:29.
Old 02-12-13, 04:39

I have been on Ultegra Di2 for about 12 months now. It's brilliant. I ride a custom Ti bike so it has internal cable routing and the battery is hidden under the non drive side chainstay.

The other day, I was able to re-tune my rear derailleur whilst riding. I slowed down, but didn't need to stop or hop off the bike!

Edit : I had to re-tune after a crash. i destroyed the frame, but the group survived, despite the right shifter and rear derailleur takng a pretty big hit. Building a Di2 bike is easy. It's all plug and play! The old DA Di2 had heat shrink connections, I think. That would have been a bit more of a hassle.

Last edited by PACONi; 02-12-13 at 04:43.
Old 02-13-13, 14:59

Di2 is pretty cool, but EPS is waaay cooler. Just sayin'.
Old 02-13-13, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Magnetico View Post
Di2 is pretty cool, but EPS is waaay cooler. Just sayin'.
Both are wired and for the 21st Century are complete fails since wireless had already been done.

Can't wait for people to get excited about a wired phone to a pole.
Old 02-14-13, 05:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
Both are wired and for the 21st Century are complete fails since wireless had already been done.

Can't wait for people to get excited about a wired phone to a pole.
Wired phone to pole - that's so awesome where can I get it

Seriously though, wired for Di2 makes perfect sense because the distance between shifters and motors doesn't change materially and the wires don't interfere in any way with movement or aerodynamics. So no need to incur the extra weight, batteries hassle and risk of a wireless system.

just imagine - Contador is flying up a climb in the Tour on wireless and some punk on the side of the rode with a wireless remote hacked to his frequency changes it from 39/25 to 53/11