JV talks, sort of - Page 306 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-11-13, 05:37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Maserati View Post
Hey BPC, it is snipers job to misrepresent what JV says.
And the Armstrong threads are over there >>>>
I was really correcting your misinterpretation, not his. I know for a fact JV was not pleased about the USADA investigation at the time. Although he was always intent on cooperating with it fully from the outset - how could he not? - it was not his preferred option. And why would it be? He knew it could cause huge unnecessary damage, be very divisive and potentially ruin the hardwon reputation of his team as the cleanest in the peloton. In the end his team must have come out of it better than he imagined, but the sport has still taken a huge knock. Nor has vaughter's ever seen stripping Armstrong as essential for the sport to change. That's something you believe, not him. He believed it would always come out, but not like this. On these issues, he is at odds with people like you. That doesn't mean to say he is not sincere about wanting to use the situation to improve the sport. He is. And now that we have gone down this root, we may as well do it properly and allow everybody to come out - not witch hunt a hand full of guys and one in particular. I agree with him.

(BPC?)

Last edited by TheNemesis; 02-11-13 at 05:52.
Old 02-11-13, 06:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNemesis View Post
... I know for a fact JV was not pleased about the USADA investigation at the time. ...

(BPC?)
Source?

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 02-11-13, 06:32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNemesis View Post
I was really correcting your misinterpretation, not his. I know for a fact JV was not pleased about the USADA investigation at the time. Although he was always intent on cooperating with it fully from the outset - how could he not? - it was not his preferred option. And why would it be?...
hmmmm....we have JV appearing on this very thread, and chatting on twitter, to tell us what JV thinks. Are you a mind reader?
Old 02-11-13, 06:38

Quote:
I realize this is an exercise in futility but what I don't get is why he or she has to use the exact same style of username, yet alone same language style, every.single.time.

I suppose in some sense they are doing us a service as a quick glance at the username and confirmation by reading the first sentence is all one needs to go straight to the ignore list.
Old 02-11-13, 07:58

Quote:

I'm more of a lurker these days though.
Old 02-11-13, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV1973 View Post
John,

I'm not going to get into details. as I've been asked to let this go, by a friend of Trent's. So, I'm going to let it go.

But, I would kindly ask that you consider that there are two sides to every story.

As for your "JV, you can't lead cycling..." Did I ever say I wanted to? Ever?

If you want LeMond or David Walsh to lead cycling, great! Go tell them. Have you ever met them? You should, if you have the chance, they are both good people.

JV
My understanding is that you are associated with plans to create a "breakaway" league. That certainly sounds like taking de facto leadership of pro cycling. I highlighted your management of Trent as an example of why I think this is not the best idea. I agree that there are two sides to every story and that you may have been correct about the situation. But you did not manage it well. I do not believe that you would manage pro cycling well.

And no, I don't think LeMond or Walsh would be ideal candidates to lead pro cycling, but they have shown themselves to have the necessary character that the sport sorely needs.

John Swanson
Old 02-11-13, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceIsCool View Post
My understanding is that you are associated with plans to create a "breakaway" league. That certainly sounds like taking de facto leadership of pro cycling. I highlighted your management of Trent as an example of why I think this is not the best idea. I agree that there are two sides to every story and that you may have been correct about the situation. But you did not manage it well. I do not believe that you would manage pro cycling well.

And no, I don't think LeMond or Walsh would be ideal candidates to lead pro cycling, but they have shown themselves to have the necessary character that the sport sorely needs.

John Swanson
Being associated with something, or even supportive - which you did not claim, and de facto leadership of it are not mutually inclusive.

Your arguments might be better served to wait until, or if, JV declares his candidacy,

Dave.

Lance says he will cooperate with Landis Investigation

"I've done too many good things for too many people"
Old 02-11-13, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceIsCool View Post
My understanding is that you are associated with plans to create a "breakaway" league. That certainly sounds like taking de facto leadership of pro cycling.
IMHO, the breakaway league won't get started. Hein and Pat are trying to shut JV and Co. out.

Once the format became public knowledge, it seems Pat and Hein found a willing sucker with the guy who funds OPQS and, of course, ASO/RCS are on-board as it has been suggested they become the exclusive promoters in this new format. CN posted a story on the OPQS guy and Hein signing some memorandum on it.

This isn't new. Pat and Hein have always envied closed sports like the U.S. NBA and NFL.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 02-12-13 at 06:03.
Old 03-02-13, 12:35

Nawww poor thing.

Old 03-02-13, 12:38

Given it was years ago, any chance you can enlighten the fans on what your ground-breaking training techniques were?

Did it involve EPO at all?

Quote:
http://www.slipstreamsports.com/garmin-slipstream-staff

In 2003, at only 30 years old, Jonathan decided to step away from a successful, but tough professional cycling career. He was perhaps young to retire, but clearly had maximized his abilities at a somewhat earlier age than most through ground-breaking training techniques, and extreme focus. In his 10 years as a professional cyclist he set the record up Mount Ventoux, and was an integral part of the winning team time trial squad in stage 5 of the 2001 Tour de France. Nonetheless, at 30, he decided to dedicate more time to his growing family, and to the business aspect of the fastest growing sport in the US.