Doping in Soccer/Football - Page 68 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-11-13, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
Let us not forget this isn't the first time Wenger speaks out about doping practices going on in football.
Can't find the link but didn't he call for EPO testing in 2003 and mentioned signing players from the continent who had "suspicious" blood levels that soon returned to normal after a couple of months? This was about the time he signed Fabregas from Barca. Coincidence?
Old 02-11-13, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer the Half Wit View Post
Can't find the link but didn't he call for EPO testing in 2003 and mentioned signing players from the continent who had "suspicious" blood levels that soon returned to normal after a couple of months? This was about the time he signed Fabregas from Barca. Coincidence?
You'd hope not: Fabregas was 16 when he signed for Arsenal
Old 02-11-13, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascoa341 View Post
Interesting post on a Dutch football web page. Apparently Robin van Persie mentioned he has gained 4kg additional muscle power since joining Manchester United. He says this is not because of extra weight lifting, but that he became super-fit by himself.

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=181982

One has to wonder how it is possible to gain 4kg of muscle in half a year, without additional weight lifting. If true this seems more than a little bit dodgy to me. What is Man United doing that Arsenal is not? Or alternatively what has van Persie started doing?
Van Persie also claimed during a interview before the recent Italy friendly, that his recovery was super fast. And that he could easily play three games a week.

When it comes to doping, recovery is one of the key benefits. So for him to emphasize on that, and say it in such a way that it sounded like this was something new for him, made me frown a bit.

Also united have Scholes and Giggs at what age now? 38 or 39? I'm sure they are model pro's, yadda yadda. But to still have a important role at the best club in England, in a league that prides itself on being the most physical and fast paced in the world. It reeks of "Milan Lab" to me.
Old 02-11-13, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
You'd hope not: Fabregas was 16 when he signed for Arsenal
Indeed, but Barca were not shy in giving a teenage Messi growth hormones. Not that that was illegal, I think.
Old 02-11-13, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
Let us not forget this isn't the first time Wenger speaks out about doping practices going on in football.
Could you elaborate that?

I know Zdenek Zeman did but Wenger? He is known for his whining at referees we all know...

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily
#Tour 1990, Luz Ardiden (13.30 km, 7.44 %, 989 m). Greg LeMond: 39 min 46 sec, 20.07 Kph, VAM 1492 m/h, ~5.40-5.50 W/kg.
Old 02-11-13, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Greg Lemond View Post
Could you elaborate that?

I know Zdenek Zeman did but Wenger? He is known for his whining at referees we all know...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2460625.stm

I can't find the link for the interview with Wegner when he talked about stricter testing, but it's mentioned in the article above.
Old 02-11-13, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by iejeecee View Post
Van Persie also claimed during a interview before the recent Italy friendly, that his recovery was super fast. And that he could easily play three games a week.

When it comes to doping, recovery is one of the key benefits. So for him to emphasize on that, and say it in such a way that it sounded like this was something new for him, made me frown a bit.

Also united have Scholes and Giggs at what age now? 38 or 39? I'm sure they are model pro's, yadda yadda. But to still have a important role at the best club in England, in a league that prides itself on being the most physical and fast paced in the world. It reeks of "Milan Lab" to me.
Which club did that England Centre Half who missed three drug tests and whuch English club was the Portugese coacj who obstructed drugs testers asscociated with
Old 02-11-13, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer the Half Wit View Post
Indeed, but Barca were not shy in giving a teenage Messi growth hormones. Not that that was illegal, I think.
It's interesting that after Barca made such a hoo-ha about getting Fabregas back he's a benchwarmer now. Perhaps he developed some morals and doesn't want to go onto the inner-core 'programme'
Old 02-11-13, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by iejeecee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by del1962
Which club did that England Centre Half who missed three drug tests and whuch English club was the Portugese coacj who obstructed drugs testers asscociated with
These things I hadn't really considered or didn't know. Ferdinand's missed test was considered an example of the player's stupidity rather than guilt of doping, even by opposing fans. Which is telling considering how nasty and personal fans can be to players of opposing teams. Pretty sure no-one came up with any 'Ferdinand's a doper' songs.

Definite head in the sand there, it's not regarded as a problem in the sport by the people who follow it.
Old 02-11-13, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFingers View Post
It's interesting that after Barca made such a hoo-ha about getting Fabregas back he's a benchwarmer now. Perhaps he developed some morals and doesn't want to go onto the inner-core 'programme'
To be fair though he has got xavi and iniesta ahead of him in the pecking order. So even if he is on the same "program" as them he wouldn't be first choice.