Who are the best/worst bike handlers in the peloton? - Page 11 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-11-13, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
Richard Virenque was another superb bike handler on the descents. His crazy breaks often stuck because he was usually so much faster than the GC guys downhill.

Agreed, there was a classic TDF stage where he was with Ullrich, I think they were trying to chase down Pantani, and Virenque was having to wait for Jan after every corner. Virenque appeared to be amused at the situation.
Old 02-11-13, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42x16ss View Post
Sagan definitely has the "Best Wheelier" title sewn up!
So, he can do it unseated and he can do it with no hands.
He should get serious and combine the two.
Old 02-11-13, 16:12

Contador's descending is pretty amazing.

I'm not sure how Cancellara got on the "best" list, especially after two critical crashes last year. I'd replace him with Cadel Evans. Even though Cadel's '12 season was a wash, the time trialing and descending skills he showed in '11 were outstanding.
Old 02-11-13, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustabe View Post

I'm not sure how Cancellara got on the "best" list, especially after two critical crashes last year. I'd replace him with Cadel Evans. Even though Cadel's '12 season was a wash, the time trialing and descending skills he showed in '11 were outstanding.
Contador's descending is good but not that outstanding.
Old 02-11-13, 18:27
Administrator

Quote:

Only one of his crashes last year (at the Olympics) was due to not great handling. The other one at Flanders was just bad luck and, as I see it, shouldn't have much bearing on how good a bike handler he is.

IMHO that one crash isn't enough to remove him from the list of best handlers. After all, lets not forget his descent at MSR last year. Where he was dropping Nibbles.

Fabio Aru: "si muore sulla bici"
Old 02-11-13, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Where he was dropping Nibbles.
He couldn't drop him. Agree a crash it's nothing, just bad decision making on his part.
Old 02-11-13, 20:59

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrank View Post
Only one of his crashes last year (at the Olympics) was due to not great handling. The other one at Flanders was just bad luck and, as I see it, shouldn't have much bearing on how good a bike handler he is.

IMHO that one crash isn't enough to remove him from the list of best handlers. After all, lets not forget his descent at MSR last year. Where he was dropping Nibbles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cineteq View Post
He couldn't drop him. Agree a crash it's nothing, just bad decision making on his part.
Its not that it was one crash but how that Olympic crash occurred, basically a dumb move and just took himself out. Just like... wait for it ...
the Carrots in the Tour, so slap on the orange sticker on Fabian.
Old 02-11-13, 21:07

Cancellara's crash at the Olympics was due to him not focusing on the moment, he was already kissing the gold medal in his mind... He still is a great bike handler, just watch the end of last year's Strade Bianche, where he just went inches past roadsigns etc

I think Sagan is great, but he's also young and did not have many opportunities to crash yet, so I'll wait to see how he's doing at 30-something before calling him the absolute best.
Old 02-11-13, 21:13

Mikel Nieve is probably the worst, the only decent descent he has ever done was last year on Mortirol where he wheelsucked Ion Izagirre.
Old 02-11-13, 21:37

ion izagirre is an amazing downhiller, so I wouldn't know if that was bad by nieve. I never saw him suck in any downhil from what I've seen