Pope Benedict XVI resigns - Page 6 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 02-11-13, 18:07
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descender View Post
Since when is Eshnar a mod??

Oh and since I'm smelling fire... I'd like to ask the mods not to wield their swords just yet. I opened a thread on religion a while ago, and despite initial doubts it developed into a long, civilised and very constructive discussion with no need for moderating.

Give us a shot!
Check the schlew of new Mods thread. No fire and wielding of swords, just moderation in the light of some inappropriate comments regarding child abuse.
Old 02-11-13, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Yeah, I knew I should not have created this thread knowing the views of this forum. Just a Catholic Church slagging mouthpiece.
Before you go one, let me just inform you of a common perception held by many who actually know something about this: namely, that Benedict's papacy has been so typical of a Catholic Church that just can't reconcile itself with modernity. For which in fanatically grasping onto a not fortuitous doctrine, the Vatican merely alienates itself form the needs of most within its own community, while it arrogantly expects to speak on behalf of an absolute Truth to which the general population, believer and non-believer alike, should be held accountable.

The fact that the Catholic hierarchy, and particularly under this pope's leadership, can only rely upon a most spurious argumentation embedded within a vapid doctrinal platform to launch its anathemas on issues that have a legal context in areas of social and scientific domains (and hence of the secular State’s relationship to its citizenry), without any actual moral authority, merely evidences how contrary it acts to its pastoral calling.

People, the faithful that is, are certainly far less concerned about the subtle theological casuistries announced from Church fathers, as they are about a Church hierarchy that promotes by example those teachings of acceptance, tolerance, sincerus amor fratris, pacis hominibus, and so forth, which were the examples shown by the Nazarene and which were the charge of his disciples to disseminate among men.

No more, than with this pope, have the doctrinal proscriptions been so boorishly articulated at the expense of any real demonstrations of compassion toward those in need of acceptance; like gays, the divorced within the Church, women who desire to conceive artificially by all the scientific means and those who need to terminate a pregnancy, etc. Whereas in Italy the Catholic Church even expects to be able to dictate a range of social and political policies to a State which it has been officially divorced from since 1929, and for which the non-believer population has every right to be governed by without such alien interference.

Finally Benedict XVI holds the record for the number of gaffes he has made, in particular the one that instigated Muslim rage at an inopportune moment while speaking at Ratisbon to a congregation of bishops. He thus, as Hans Kung has correctly pointed out http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...tatorship-pope, has represented the type of authoritarian rule coming from the Vatican that pertains to a bygone and unmissed era, which in an age of implacable secularization only marginalizes the Catholic Church even further.

Last edited by rhubroma; 02-11-13 at 19:17.
Old 02-11-13, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshnar View Post
I'm a mod since a dozen days ago.

The thread can stay for now. BUT I'll remind you (ALL) that, since the topic is particularly delicate, any serious infraction will lead us to close it for good.

So:
1. No insults/denigration. The image that has been posted just a couple of posts above is already on the edge. Plus, this forum is not 9gag.
2. This thread is about the Pope, so beware not to go OT.
Congratulations!

Let's just all hope Echoes doesn't see this thread. That would equal instant closing.
Old 02-11-13, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
.....Classic Rhub......
So, you didn't like him?

I suppose it's different in Italy, where his Holiness is news all the time. Up here in the Calvinist north we can go for months, even years, without ever hearing about Vatican shenanigans. Which works out just fine.
Old 02-11-13, 18:28

The Church has lost all its credibility since Vatican II !

Benedict did one thing right, rehabilitating traditional Lefebvrists. For the rest, he's just a modernist like his predecessors.

In his Encycle, Caritas in veritate (2009), Benedict said he wanted a global political authority to be created, linked with the UN. As Pierre Hillard noticed...

This is perfectly anti-Christian.
Old 02-11-13, 18:46

"For the rest, he's just a modernist like his predecessors."

Wow I've heared that people like you are said to exist, though to this day i've never actually met one.
Old 02-11-13, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscyclefan94 View Post
Pope Benedict XVI resigns. Very significant news. I know this won't be popular to say on here but I think his service to the Church and peace is very commendable and should congratulated.

Before anyone else goes in, I might as well mention these slurs: pedophile, sexual assault, homophobia, gay marriage.
Thanks for posting. I don't know what this Pope will be remembered for (besides resigning), but his establishment of the Anglican Ordinariates was close to my heart, although I am not part of that.
Old 02-11-13, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterhammer View Post
So, you didn't like him?

I suppose it's different in Italy, where his Holiness is news all the time. Up here in the Calvinist north we can go for months, even years, without ever hearing about Vatican shenanigans. Which works out just fine.
Yes well living under the shadow of the Vatican does come with its not trivial annoyances. For one thing getting a divorce in Italy is criminally lengthy and expensive, serving only the lawyers and the highbrow and self-serving minds of a sinisterly clueless and hostile clergy. There is no more hypocritical institution on earth.
Old 02-11-13, 20:56

At any rate don't believe for a moment that this is cut and dry. There's got to be something really large looming behind the scenes. The last pope who resigned was Celestine V, and then under most dubious circumstances, after which he was arrested by his own successor, Boniface VIII, who had him thrown in a castle's dungeon in Campagna, where he died of duress soon thereafter.

With all the clamor circulating from Vatileaks over the ruthless internal fighting within the Vatican walls, there surely must be more here than meets the eye.

Certainly Ratzinger's own role, while still a cardinal decades ago, in covering up the infamous pedophile scandals has not been fortuitous.

Imagine Benedict’s successor giving speeches with the former pope listening. There is simply no precedent for this. Benedict has obviously lost control of a situation that is leading the Church of Rome along a crash course and so he has presumably been asked (told?) to step aside.

Last edited by rhubroma; 02-11-13 at 21:02.
Old 02-11-13, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post

Certainly Ratzinger's own role, while still a cardinal decades ago, in covering up the infamous pedophile scandals has not been fortuitous.
It certainly does sound fishy. We'll look to 'our man next to the Vatican' for updates on what might be going on. Someone must be disgruntled, and likely to leak.

By coincidence, I was told about a recently broadcast HBO film only today - Mea Maxima Culpa - which exposes some serious facts about this whole issue.

Quote:
Gibney takes great pains to point out that every sex abuse case, including Murphy's, went directly to the office of then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith from 1981 until 2005 and now Pope Benedict XVI. Yet year after year, known pedophiles such as Murphy were allowed to remain free and to remain priests, often in parishes where they had access to children. It was only after Kouhut and other victims filed a civil suit against the Vatican, that the church was forced to release documents making it clear that in many cases officials knew about the abuse and refused to act.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6297138.story