Who are the best/worst bike handlers in the peloton? - Page 12 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-11-13, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryo Hazuki View Post
ion izagirre is an amazing downhiller, so I wouldn't know if that was bad by nieve. I never saw him suck in any downhil from what I've seen
I know it was mainly because Garzelli got moto-paced, but Nieve did lose quite some time in the descents in the stage to Gardeccia.
When a rider refuses to take a pull even though it is tactically and/or strategically more sound to take a pull
*Refusing to pull when it is tactically and/or strategically more sound not to is therefore not wheelsucking
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 02-11-13, 22:36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
I know it was mainly because Garzelli got moto-paced, but Nieve did lose quite some time in the descents in the stage to Gardeccia.
by "some" do you mean a total of 6 seconds on the fedaia descent while garzeli was motor paced?
Old 02-11-13, 22:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
by "some" do you mean a total of 6 seconds on the fedaia descent while garzeli was motor paced?
I remember it as more

All I remember was that Nieve took massive time uphill, yet Garzelli still managed to keep him behind for very long...

EDIT: Do you know how much it was on the Giau descent?
When a rider refuses to take a pull even though it is tactically and/or strategically more sound to take a pull
*Refusing to pull when it is tactically and/or strategically more sound not to is therefore not wheelsucking
Change my pitch up/Smack my bitch up
Old 02-11-13, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netserk View Post
I don't remember that at all
Old 02-11-13, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
ah that explains it. in my db nieve is "above" average downhiller and I never noticed him being bad at it anywhere. that's why I wondered
Old 02-11-13, 23:11
Administrator

Re checked the stage.

top of the giau garzeli had 45 secs on nieve and at the bottom he had 1.05 min to the "chasing group" which i am not sure if it was nieve or people behind him, but let's assume it was nieve.

at the top of the fedaia garzelli had 39 on nieve and at the bottom the he only had 35 even after being motorpaced on the false flat at the top of the fedaia.

so saying nieve "is probably the worst" is complete BS.

if anything the fact that we never saw him crashing on any race, even at GT's where he gets very little support on the flat is a gigantic clue that he can't be all that bad.
Old 02-12-13, 00:03

Its often the best descenders that crash because they are the ones who take risks every corner. the bad ones are bad because they play it safe.
If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that.
journalist with integrity.