Do you use a mirror on your bling roadie? - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 02-12-13, 05:59

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.
Default Do you use a mirror on your bling roadie?

Do you ride with a mirror on your bling roadie? I do and notice others are doing so too. Definitely a good idea in racing/commuting/bunch rides etc. They are those most covert, aero yet functional mirror on the market. I like it in group rides cos you can see the pain on the faces of the riders behind you and then click it up a few extra watts and watch the faces hurt even more! Alternatively you can be hurting but the faces behind you are talking and have their mouths shut in between sentences!

Not bad for safety too if you are like me and ride with headphones on country roads.

Ive used a few and rate this one the best. Been running it for a few years now.

http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Mercha..._Code=RBM_1001

*I don't get a commission if you buy a mirror, I just rate these mirrors and have em on all my bikes and always get asked about where to get one. They are a bit fiddly to set up BUT stay solid for years. YOU have to set them up as a mechanic doesnt sit like you do on YOUR bike.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

Last edited by durianrider; 02-18-13 at 01:24.
Old 02-12-13, 06:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
Do you ride with a mirror on your bling roadie? I do and notice others are doing so too. Definitely a good idea in racing/commuting/bunch rides etc. They are those most covert, aero yet functional mirror on the market. I like it in group rides cos you can see the pain on the faces of the riders behind you and then click it up a few extra watts and watch the faces hurt even more! Alternatively you can be hurting but the faces behind you are talking and have their mouths shut in between sentences!

Not bad for safety too if you are like me and ride with headphones on country roads.

Ive used a few and rate this one the best. Been running it for a few years now.

http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2 ... e=RBM_1001

*I don't get a commission if you buy a mirror, I just rate these mirrors and have em on all my bikes and always get asked about where to get one. They are a bit fiddly to set up BUT stay solid for years. YOU have to set them up as a mechanic doesnt sit like you do on YOUR bike.
Dude, I've thought about it. One on the glasses or helmet.... but dont want to look like a Fred or a Vegan or the like?
Old 02-12-13, 08:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
Dude, I've thought about it. One on the glasses or helmet.... but dont want to look like a Fred or a Vegan or the like?
The only mirrors are my sunglasses lens in the summer

If you can't turn and hold your line then you need to go to the back with the rest of the bus.
Old 02-12-13, 10:22

C'mon Harley, no mirrors dude end of story - it's in THE RULES:

"Rule #66 // No mirrors.
Mirrors are allowed on your (aptly named) Surly Big Dummy or your Surly Long Haul Trucker. Not on your road steed. Not on your Mountain bike. Not on your helmet. If someone familiar with The Rules has sold you such an abomination, return the mirror and demand a refund, plus interest and damages."

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
Old 02-12-13, 10:50

I recently put one on my commuter so I can see if my son is happy in the trailer - also helps see if the trailer wheels will clear obstructions on sharp turns, the local cycleway is a menace with go-slow chicane gates at every road intersection.
On the bling roadie I'm not quite ready to give up any last remnants of style, though a mirror would be more subtle than turning around and giving riding buddies "the look"
Old 02-13-13, 02:48

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

Nothing more satisfying than blasting Rapha wearing riders on their latest matt black sub 6kg 'stealth machine' up climbs on my heavy bamboo bike with xc pedals, mirror and 'go vegan' lycra.

The look in their faces in my mirror is priceless.

They often ride past in a train and don't say gday. When I pass riders I always acknowledge em. Those Rapha riders often assume that a rider with a mirror and mountain bike shoes can hold 5.7watts for a 5k climb..

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 02-13-13, 03:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
Nothing more satisfying than blasting Rapha wearing riders on their latest matt black sub 6kg 'stealth machine' up climbs on my heavy bamboo bike with xc pedals, mirror and 'go vegan' lycra.

The look in their faces in my mirror is priceless.

They often ride past in a train and don't say gday. When I pass riders I always acknowledge em. Those Rapha riders often assume that a rider with a mirror and mountain bike shoes can hold 5.7watts for a 5k climb..
So true Bro, I have never come across a Rapha wearer I haven't blasted past - I always take special enjoyment out of saying a cheery g'day. Assos is where it's at dude, Rapha is so try-hard. But, on mirrors, the Rules is the Rules
Old 02-13-13, 04:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by laziali View Post
So true Bro, I have never come across a Rapha wearer I haven't blasted past - I always take special enjoyment out of saying a cheery g'day. Assos is where it's at dude, Rapha is so try-hard. But, on mirrors, the Rules is the Rules
Lmao! I guess I break the rules occasionally, as I have a small mirror on my town/commuter bike. It might cost me major style points but hey, it's kept me alive when riding in heavy traffic more than once.

Don't have one on the roadies though as I agree with El Chingon re: holding your line
Old 02-15-13, 09:19

Quote:
Rule #62 // You shall not ride with earphones.
Cycling is about getting outside and into the elements and you don’t need to be listening to Queen or Slayer in order to experience that. Immerse yourself in the rhythm and pain, not in whatever 80′s hair band you call “music”. See Rule #5 and ride your bike.
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
Old 02-15-13, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beedammed View Post
slayer rock