Can trust be restored? - Page 4 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-12-13, 00:46

I trust things will return to normal
Old 02-12-13, 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBean View Post
I trust that cycling will survive, just like it did after Festina and Puerto.
Yup. Cleanest peloton ever. Oh, wait they said that AFTER Festina and Puerto too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBean View Post
I trust that riders will bend or break the doping rules as much as they can while trying to minimize the risk of being caught.

I trust that the testing will improve and become more sophisticated, as will the doping protocols.
This is a pet peeve, not a specific response to TheBean. This is the narrative the IOC/UCI relies on to suppress the corruption and dope enabling.
Understand the IOC and UCI are at minimum enabling it. They built a whole 7x TdF myth!

If things don't change, they'll p!ss on your back and tell you it's raining real soon now. And they might not change.

Last edited by DirtyWorks; 02-12-13 at 06:01.
Old 02-12-13, 06:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebandit View Post
sorry! i must disagree here..............the IOC do NOT want doping
actually, the IOC and all other governing bodies do not want to catch the dopers as it has a negative impact on their sports/events.
no one wants bad press for their sport, simples...
Old 02-12-13, 07:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
I trust things will return to normal
Isn't the current situation the "new normal"?
Old 02-12-13, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roude Leiw View Post
Isn't the current situation the "new normal"?
No, its in a chaotic state now with every single rider looking behind their back even if they have nothing to hide. Normal will be when they can do as they want and are living it up as they did pre 1998.
Old 02-12-13, 08:34

Can the disbelief be re-suspended?
Old 02-12-13, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChingon View Post
No, its in a chaotic state now with every single rider looking behind their back even if they have nothing to hide. Normal will be when they can do as they want and are living it up as they did pre 1998.
That will never return, they were not really doping free then, but as opposed to today, no one wanted to her from their heroes doping. The www brought a fundamental change to this, with people openly questioning and journalists picking up and writing about it.

Hence me calling this situation the new normal.
Old 02-12-13, 09:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleajactaest View Post
I'm not the one who is deluded. If you think professional sports is about anything but entertainment, you're dreaming.

It starts with fake college sports which abuse the athletes, leave the dereft of an education and all to prime the pump for the boosters. How else do you justify a professor making $100K while the coaches make millions.

The UCI has been completely co-opted by the ASO who drive the entire sport based on what the entertainment value is.

FWIW, I'd prefer the sport without doping as the human stories are more compelling but the value as entertainment doesn't change just the results.

Earlier in the thread lostintime said that the power of drugs comes from the belief in them and that removing the belief is the solution. How would you do that? (assuming it is true, which I dispute as the tests indicate they have actual performance value)
Your irrational ramble makes no sense whatsoever. Any professional sport is about competition. The goal is to win. Unfortunately too many athletes cheat to do that. How is winning by cheating entertainment?

Sure there may be some entertainment value in a sporting event full of cheats, but once the cheating is exposed it devalues sport, it denigrates the athletes, and provides no entertainment value whatsoever.

For example would you go back and watch tape of the 1999 Tour de Farce, LA's first win for its entertainment value. I doubt it and if you did you would be daft.

To suggest that College sports are fake is aburd. I played level I basketball for three years at University and I can assure you we did not go onto the court to "entertain" the fans. We went out there to win. If the fans got some entertainment value from that it was incidental.
Old 02-12-13, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieCanuck View Post
For example would you go back and watch tape of the 1999 Tour de Farce, LA's first win for its entertainment value. I doubt it and if you did you would be daft.
That sentence makes no sense. If you are asking if I watched it for the entertainment value. Yes. Why do you watch?
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieCanuck View Post
To suggest that College sports are fake is aburd. I played level I basketball for three years at University and I can assure you we did not go onto the court to "entertain" the fans. We went out there to win. If the fans got some entertainment value from that it was incidental.
Sports which provide no entertainment value make no money. Sports that cost schools money are support by those that do. If none of your sports programs pay for themselves, you soon have no sport. Colleges no longer subsidize sports for their value in rounding out students.

That's just how it works.

I don't know what sport you "played" but did it make money?
Old 02-12-13, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkvW View Post
Can the disbelief be re-suspended?
If not, they can cheat by re-suspending it with piano wire.