Dried fruit for carbs while climbing? - Page 2 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Form & Fitness > General

Old 02-03-13, 05:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLyn View Post
It could be a good experiment. But . . . two things:

1) "Dried fruit" = your body needs to rehydrate the fruit. This is not normally work you want to give your body when climbing, and it will contribute to dehydration. (So perhaps better to hydrate the fruit before the ride to address this.)

2) Digestion = solid foods (and especially uncooked foods) take longer and more energy to digest. So you are also taking energy away from your legs and other muscles to digest dried fruit.

Fresh fruit in a smoothie drink would seem to be the best to me.

(Suggestion: Try chia seeds. Hydrate them first. They carry approximately 9 times their weight in water when hydrated, so this can also be a source of keeping you hydrated during a long climb/ride.)
Just finished this same discussion with my wife minutes ago! She's looking for a healthy alternative to sports bars but we shared the concern about digestibility; especially when putting in the maximum efforts. The most important thing is getting the raw calories into the system with minimum demand on the system for water or bloodflow. We appreciate that input. Have you tried chia seeds and do you mix them with anything (they don't sound spectacularly tasty)?

Last edited by Oldman; 02-03-13 at 05:44. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-13, 07:59

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

I eat 4 large organic dates per hour. When you chew em up with a swig of water they are no longer a 'solid food'. They are of a gel consistency yet FAR more nutrition and no fiddly wrapper to muss over and dispose of.

Chia seeds are something I eat a few times a month. Maybe 50g a month.

I just won the 2013 Strava Base Mile blast with 6190km riden. Carbs FTW. Also not a single rider passed me on any climb during January and it was TDU season and I was most of the time on my bamboo bicycle. Dates chewed with water is as good as it gets. If you want pure liquid then just consume 1g of organic sugar per kg of bodyweight per hour. Measure it up and tip it in your bidon.

Sports drink without all the chemical junk and excess sodium retention inducing salt to weigh you down on the climbs.

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 02-03-13, 08:00

Location: byron bay, NYC, Bangkok, Radelaide, Sydney, Sunshine Coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elapid View Post
I know another fruit basket who will enjoy your product
ha ha

Strava data
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600
Old 02-12-13, 08:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
I eat 4 large organic dates per hour. When you chew em up with a swig of water they are no longer a 'solid food'. They are of a gel consistency yet FAR more nutrition and no fiddly wrapper to muss over and dispose of.

Chia seeds are something I eat a few times a month. Maybe 50g a month.

I just won the 2013 Strava Base Mile blast with 6190km riden. Carbs FTW. Also not a single rider passed me on any climb during January and it was TDU season and I was most of the time on my bamboo bicycle. Dates chewed with water is as good as it gets. If you want pure liquid then just consume 1g of organic sugar per kg of bodyweight per hour. Measure it up and tip it in your bidon.

Sports drink without all the chemical junk and excess sodium retention inducing salt to weigh you down on the climbs.
Winning at base miles. Could you possibly be any more beta? Poor, clinically OCD, and lacking in confidence so much that you literally spend years bragging on the internet--what a convincing sales pitch.
Old 02-12-13, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by elapid View Post
I know another fruit basket who will enjoy your product
well played sir.well played.
Old 02-13-13, 13:15

With dried fruit, you can soak them overnight and drain them . Carry what you need for the day. The fruit gets all plump and outrageously juicy . My favorites are organic Calmyrna Figs and Turkish Apricots . Even if you are "on the road" , you can put some fruit in a zip-loc plastic bag with a bit of water and the water will be absorbed into the fruit within 4-6 hours, depending on the fruit. Raisins would be fastest ,
Old 02-13-13, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by durianrider View Post
ha ha
Give 'em h e double toothpicks Harley

If you are not being a bit "crazy" ... you're not really LIVING !!!!!

The sacred mantra .... SO WHAT !!!! Just do it anyways
Old 02-16-13, 11:59

I do Medjool dates for long races instead of sugar syrups. Take the stones out and stick about 15 in my back pocket. Don't even have them in a bag so they are easy to access. Works for me, I've never run out of energy.
Old 02-16-13, 19:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyarmour View Post
I do Medjool dates for long races instead of sugar syrups. Take the stones out and stick about 15 in my back pocket. Don't even have them in a bag so they are easy to access. Works for me, I've never run out of energy.
On a bike tour, with lots of daily riding, dates, figs, and bananas are great at keeping me from bonking. All that potassium, I guess.
Old 02-24-13, 20:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyarmour View Post

I'm gonna try that.