Pope Benedict XVI resigns - Page 7 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Cafe > General

General Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Old 02-11-13, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descender View Post
The Catholic interpretation of the Bible with regards to homosexuality seems pretty straight-forward to me.

If anything, it is those self-professed Christians who think God has no problem with homosexual behaviour that are using a deliberately backwards interpretation of the Bible.
He is saying he's quitting at month end, but he will stay. He can't bear the idea of leaving the bishop's behind.

Last edited by Fortyninefourteen; 02-11-13 at 22:13.
Old 02-11-13, 21:59

Quote:
The Catholic interpretation of the Bible with regards to homosexuality seems pretty straight-forward to me.

If anything, it is those self-professed Christians who think God has no problem with homosexual behaviour that are using a deliberately backwards interpretation of the Bible.
I've read and heard some pretty good arguments against the idea of homosexuality per se going against the New Testament.
http://www.upworthy.com/every-biblic...ked-biblically
Old 02-11-13, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
I've read and heard some pretty good arguments against the idea of homosexuality per se going against the New Testament.
http://www.upworthy.com/every-biblic...ked-biblically
Are you a believing Christian? Not that I want to make this personal, but knowing you as an otherwise rational person, I cannot for the life of me grasp how you could possibly consider this talk I sat through as offering "good arguments against the idea of homosexuality per se going against the New Testament".
Old 02-12-13, 00:53

Quote:
Are you a believing Christian? Not that I want to make this personal, but knowing you as an otherwise rational person, I cannot for the life of me grasp how you could possibly consider this talk I sat through as offering "good arguments against the idea of homosexuality per se going against the New Testament".
No, I'm an atheist. Where do you think his dissertation is faulty?
Old 02-12-13, 00:57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubroma View Post
Before you go one, let me just inform you of a common perception held by many who actually know something about this: namely, that Benedict's papacy has been so typical of a Catholic Church that just can't reconcile itself with modernity. For which in fanatically grasping onto a not fortuitous doctrine, the Vatican merely alienates itself form the needs of most within its own community, while it arrogantly expects to speak on behalf of an absolute Truth to which the general population, believer and non-believer alike, should be held accountable.

The fact that the Catholic hierarchy, and particularly under this pope's leadership, can only rely upon a most spurious argumentation embedded within a vapid doctrinal platform to launch its anathemas on issues that have a legal context in areas of social and scientific domains (and hence of the secular State’s relationship to its citizenry), without any actual moral authority, merely evidences how contrary it acts to its pastoral calling.

People, the faithful that is, are certainly far less concerned about the subtle theological casuistries announced from Church fathers, as they are about a Church hierarchy that promotes by example those teachings of acceptance, tolerance, sincerus amor fratris, pacis hominibus, and so forth, which were the examples shown by the Nazarene and which were the charge of his disciples to disseminate among men.

No more, than with this pope, have the doctrinal proscriptions been so boorishly articulated at the expense of any real demonstrations of compassion toward those in need of acceptance; like gays, the divorced within the Church, women who desire to conceive artificially by all the scientific means and those who need to terminate a pregnancy, etc. Whereas in Italy the Catholic Church even expects to be able to dictate a range of social and political policies to a State which it has been officially divorced from since 1929, and for which the non-believer population has every right to be governed by without such alien interference.

Finally Benedict XVI holds the record for the number of gaffes he has made, in particular the one that instigated Muslim rage at an inopportune moment while speaking at Ratisbon to a congregation of bishops. He thus, as Hans Kung has correctly pointed out http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...tatorship-pope, has represented the type of authoritarian rule coming from the Vatican that pertains to a bygone and unmissed era, which in an age of implacable secularization only marginalizes the Catholic Church even further.
Excellent post. Maybe, just maybe, given the hugeness of this, this could be the Catholic church taking a baby step into the 21st century. I hope so as a non Catholic observer.
Old 02-12-13, 06:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryman View Post
Excellent post. Maybe, just maybe, given the hugeness of this, this could be the Catholic church taking a baby step into the 21st century. I hope so as a non Catholic observer.
Of course that entirely depends upon who they put in his place.
Old 02-12-13, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrotha View Post
No, I'm an atheist. Where do you think his dissertation is faulty?
That's what I thought.

No time now, but I've bookmarked it and I'll try to list my objections whenever I find a couple of spare hours.
Old 02-12-13, 11:02

I went to Catholic school, mind . And I'm way more interested in theology than your average atheist. I know there are problems with his arguments - I've read several rebuttals by real theologians, but I'm not convinced.
Old 02-12-13, 11:19

You would rather be convinced by the necessarily biased interpretations of a deeply conflicted young man desperately trying to reconcile his faith with his sexual orientation?

Not that I think much about "real theologians", mind you. To me, that's like saying "real fairists".
Old 02-12-13, 11:31

Well, not as such. I found his appeals to emotion to be mostly boring filler, although I understand why they're important to him. But I thought his discussion of the actual scripture made sense, and I think when the Church is inevitably forced to accept homosexuality they will use arguments largely in agreement with his.