At what point does placing in a GT become irrelevant? - Page 9 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-08-13, 23:22
Administrator

well that wasn't what happened . . . but think of it what you want
Old 02-08-13, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
well that wasn't what happened . . . but think of it what you want
Not sure I understand.
Nibali was running out of options for the GC. I like riders going all in. For a potential stage win or otherwise.

Sorry, I think Valverde bossed him around, but I am not surprised.

Just for the record I do like El Bala, just not the baggage.
Old 02-09-13, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrulo View Post
understanding opinion from the biggest fan of one of best riders of all time at getting top 10 places in GT's but never winning.
And he's only got three of those

With Kloden, people may remember is 2010 Tour, when he lost major time even before the high mountains (cracked badly in medium mountain stage) and ended up 14th overall. Late in that edition he got in a breakaway on the stage to Mende. The group was 16 strong, but with some stragglers on it he broke it up into a foursome. Despite working well together the group was caught soon after the start of the climb (except for Vino who almost held on to win), and Klodi ended up 2nd best from the breakaway and about 10th on the stage. Now if he had won that stage it would have been great, but I wouldn't have rated his Tour as better than his '09 one when he placed 6th overall.

As for last year, I thought his 11th placing was pretty good for a 37 year old, but I have no idea whether the result meant much of anything to Andreas himself. Maybe for him it is top 10 or a little worthless.
In top grade professional cycling (and in life) it is virtually impossible to be a major winner whilst being 100% clean (or honest). Most GC GT riders are simply doing what they love whilst playing the game.

I'm a huge Kloden fan (or a Klodist) - despite the fact that he rode for Telekom/T-Mobile, Astana and Radioshack

Contador at Fuente De - I salute you!

Germany 7 Brazil 1
Old 02-11-13, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Wasn't it obvious it was better for both of them? Nibali wasn't gonna take time on Sky, and Valverde would have zero chance of winning the stage if Nibali stayed there. It was an agreement, not some bossing around.
Exactly. Gentleman's agreement.
Old 02-11-13, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrowlerson View Post
And he's only got three of those

With Kloden, people may remember is 2010 Tour, when he lost major time even before the high mountains (cracked badly in medium mountain stage) and ended up 14th overall. Late in that edition he got in a breakaway on the stage to Mende. The group was 16 strong, but with some stragglers on it he broke it up into a foursome. Despite working well together the group was caught soon after the start of the climb (except for Vino who almost held on to win), and Klodi ended up 2nd best from the breakaway and about 10th on the stage. Now if he had won that stage it would have been great, but I wouldn't have rated his Tour as better than his '09 one when he placed 6th overall.

As for last year, I thought his 11th placing was pretty good for a 37 year old, but I have no idea whether the result meant much of anything to Andreas himself. Maybe for him it is top 10 or a little worthless.
When does.kloden's current contract end? I dont think he cares much about cycling anymore
Old 02-11-13, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentacycle View Post
Wasn't it obvious it was better for both of them? Nibali wasn't gonna take time on Sky, and Valverde would have zero chance of winning the stage if Nibali stayed there. It was an agreement, not some bossing around.
Exactly. It's not like what happened was a rare occurrence. Whether breaks succeed or fail often depends on how dangerous the members of the break are. With Nibali there the break had absolutely no chance of succeeding.
Old 02-12-13, 12:05

IŽd say, important are:

Giro: Top15
Tour: Top20
Vuelta: Top10
Old 02-13-13, 06:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post
IŽd say, important are:

California: Winning!
Old 02-13-13, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHRH19861986 View Post
I´d say, important are:

So who was 15th in the Giro, or 18th in the Tour?

95% of the time no-one cares. If you're an up-and-coming GC rider and it's your first high GT placing, fine. But if you've scrounged 16th at the Tour by being completely anonymous year after year...I mean the perfect example is Roche. Did we even see him on TV as he carefully racked up his 14th on GC at the Tour year on year?
...[Walsh] thinks we're ahead of the curve. But think about it for a sec. We're building long-lasting, trusting relationships with people who are spending a lot of money - Coke, Nike, Subaru. If we're f***ing lying, we can kiss it all goodbye. And if we were lying we'd do some stupid stuff to try to cover it up, wouldn't we? Does anybody think for a second that a secret that big wouldn't come out? Bill Stapleton
Old 02-13-13, 08:43

11th and down