2013 Tour of Oman (11th-16th February), 2.HC - Page 33 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Road > Professional road racing

Professional road racing A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Old 02-12-13, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
He nearly lost an arm and he's never been a climber. He finished in the same group as the likes of Alexander Kristoff and in front of Goss, Devolder, Cataldo, Degenkolb, Kittel(no surprise there lol), so yeah that's pretty good. He also lost time last year on stage 2 which was a lot easier.

"Most of his competiters"? Who would that be? Sagan is the most all-round cyclist there is now, he can climb much better than Boonen. Or do you mean Luigi? Lol.

Unlike most of the guys in front of him, it's also his first race of the season.

Anyway, he's going to do another stage race before Paris-Nice, which he normally doesn't.
Terpstra is hardly a great climber either, and he finished in the first group. That shows that anybody in good shape that cared about the stage could finish in front. Losing 2 minutes on a stage like this is pretty much a worst case scenario, or do you think that more than 40 people even bother in a stage in Oman? He has a loooooong way to go the get at the same level as the likes of Sagan, Cancellara and Gilbert (who'll only improve in the coming weeks as well). I hope he'll be there, the classics have a poor enough field with him, but at this moment to say he did well and is looking good sounds like some major-fanboy dream. The Omloop will give some more information.
Old 02-12-13, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiano View Post
Kittel was the favourite at Bet365, Sportingbet on stage 1, and so was Sagan on stage 2.
ok can we put this to bed now. i'm not going to go through every bookmaker.

The biggest online bookmaker is Paddy Power. It has 3 Australian affiliates. In all of those 4, in Stage 1, Peter Sagan and Matt Goss were historic favorite, Kittel was 8/1 4th favourite.

After some gambling by us all, Kittel was made favourite.

exactly the same for stage 2 check the price history. Kittel ws 13/8 favourite at 6.15 GMT last evening, Sagan was 3rd favourite at 10/1 behind Goss.

If you doubt me, by all means then go and check as to when they opened their markets. BET365 made their market quite late last night as did Sporting Bet.
Old 02-12-13, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark View Post
Terpstra is hardly a great climber either, and he finished in the first group. That shows that anybody in good shape that cared about the stage could finish in front. Losing 2 minutes on a stage like this is pretty much a worst case scenario, or do you think that more than 40 people even bother in a stage in Oman? He has a loooooong way to go the get at the same level as the likes of Sagan, Cancellara and Gilbert (who'll only improve in the coming weeks as well). I hope he'll be there, the classics have a poor enough field with him, but at this moment to say he did well and is looking good sounds like some major-fanboy dream. The Omloop will give some more information.
Terpstra has always been a better climber than Boonen. Do you watch cycling, like ever?

It's his FIRST race after a bad winter(2 serious infections that got him hospitalized), so yeah he's looking good. Andy Schleck can't even finish a bike race.

Gilbert is obviously peaking for the Ardennes classics, not the Flemish classics and definitely not Milan-San Remo. Cancellara was minutes ahead of Boonen last year in Oman. That doesn't say a thing.

Anyway, there's no one denying that the likes of Terpstra are ahead of him right now. But they haven't been hospitalized 2 times this winter and have already raced. For his first race after a bad winter, yes, Boonen is looking good.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week

Last edited by El Pistolero; 02-12-13 at 14:16.
Old 02-12-13, 14:19

Quote:
Terpstra has always been a better climber than Boonen. Do you watch cycling, like ever?

It's his FIRST race after a bad winter(2 serious infections that got him hospitalized), so yeah he's looking good. Andy Schleck can't even finish a bike race.

Gilbert is obviously peaking for the Ardennes classics, not the Flemish classics and definitely not Milan-San Remo. Cancellara was minutes ahead of Boonen last year in Oman. That doesn't say a thing.
Wow, why the agression suddenly? Losing 2 minutes on a stage like this is pretty much as bad as it gets. There could be a number of reasons, maybe he just is quite bad at this point, maybe he didn't bother, went easy on the descent etc. But saying it's a good sign seems extremely far fetched. I don't see how comparing him to a joke like Andy Schleck matters. And the fact that Gilbert is peaking for the Ardennes only works against Boonen, I hope you understand.
Old 02-12-13, 14:19

Quote:
and definitely not Milan-San Remo.
He should, the Poggio is made for guys like him. Phil that is.

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily
#Tour 1990, Luz Ardiden (13.30 km, 7.44 %, 989 m). Greg LeMond: 39 min 46 sec, 20.07 Kph, VAM 1492 m/h, ~5.40-5.50 W/kg.
Old 02-12-13, 14:23

Send a message via Skype™ to Damiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelie1977 View Post
ok can we put this to bed now. i'm not going to go through every bookmaker.

The biggest online bookmaker is Paddy Power. It has 3 Australian affiliates. In all of those 4, in Stage 1, Peter Sagan and Matt Goss were historic favorite, Kittel was 8/1 4th favourite.

After some gambling by us all, Kittel was made favourite.

exactly the same for stage 2 check the price history. Kittel ws 13/8 favourite at 6.15 GMT last evening, Sagan was 3rd favourite at 10/1 behind Goss.

If you doubt me, by all means then go and check as to when they opened their markets. BET365 made their market quite late last night as did Sporting Bet.
I don't doubt you - I just don't rate Paddy Power as a very good bookmaker because of their crazy limits.

And one bookmaker is hardly enough to be "according to most"
Old 02-12-13, 14:25

Quote:
He nearly lost an arm and he's never been a climber. He finished in the same group as the likes of Alexander Kristoff and in front of Goss, Devolder, Cataldo, Degenkolb, Kittel(no surprise there lol), so yeah that's pretty good. He also lost time last year on stage 2 which was a lot easier.

"Most of his competiters"? Who would that be? Sagan is the most all-round cyclist there is now, he can climb much better than Boonen. Or do you mean Luigi? Lol.

Unlike most of the guys in front of him, it's also his first race of the season.

Anyway, he's going to do another stage race before Paris-Nice, which he normally doesn't.
Sorry to break the news to you but he finished 10 seconds down on Degenkolb
Old 02-12-13, 14:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark View Post
Wow, why the agression suddenly? Losing 2 minutes on a stage like this is pretty much as bad as it gets. There could be a number of reasons, maybe he just is quite bad at this point, maybe he didn't bother, went easy on the descent etc. But saying it's a good sign seems extremely far fetched. I don't see how comparing him to a joke like Andy Schleck matters. And the fact that Gilbert is peaking for the Ardennes only works against Boonen, I hope you understand.
Because you seem to fail to understand a whole lot of things:

- It's his first race: I was expecting far worse.
- He was hospitalized for a couple of weeks because of a bowel infection.
- Hospitalized for another week because of a serious elbow infection.
- Had to skip San Luis.
- Had to skip one of his favorite races, Qatar.
- He's not a climber and has always lost so much time on similar stages.

And no, Gilbert is naturally a better climber than Boonen, I hope you understand that.
horrible. boonen just the same guy as years before and this course is too hard for him. that's why he rode like a coward there were at least 3 guys stronger than boonen today and none of them won: sagan, ballan, pozzato
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hitch
Goss will woop boonens candy ass in a sprint he cares about, any day of the week
Old 02-12-13, 14:33

Anyway, to stray from all the 'Oh! My! Gawd! Boonen finished only 2 minutes down!!!1!!' talk, John Degenkolb should really have done better on a stage like this.
Old 02-12-13, 14:35

Quote:
Because you seem to fail to understand a whole lot of things:

- It's his first race: I was expecting far worse.
- He was hospitalized for a couple of weeks because of a bowel infection.
- Hospitalized for another week because of a serious elbow infection.
- Had to skip San Luis.
- Had to skip one of his favorite races, Qatar.
- He's not a climber and has always lost so much time on similar stages.

And no, Gilbert is naturally a better climber than Boonen, I hope you understand that.
Bolded the relevant parts, the rest only explain why he is in bad shape, they don't prove that he is doing better than expected. When you try to answer the question if he'll be a 100% for the classics (or good enough to win), repeating why he is in bad shape now doesn't help to answer that. I know that saying that Boonen didn't do good today (assuming he actually tried, I don't know that) seems to be a personal insult to you, but it's just an analysis of the facts of the day. I'll try to be more sensitive next time.