Member Suspension Appreciation/Depreciation Thread - Page 23 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Feedback > About the forum

About the forum Drop in, give us some feedback and talk to the team

Old 02-17-13, 10:28

I do not advise anyone else to take it upon themselves to ignore mod requests, whatever you may think of them.
Old 02-17-13, 10:42

efermi would be more appropriate.
Old 02-17-13, 13:17

Default hoggie.

So is it OK for some forum members to call thehog hoggie and not ebandit? I realize the reason for ebandit's being banninated was because he chose to "ignore the moderators" or a Moderator.

So is it ok or not to call thehog hoggie? How about everyone gets to call thehog hoggie on Tuesdays. Any other day is just not quite the same is it.

Anyhow it seems like a easy way out to have ebandit banninated when all he was doing was calling thehog hoggie. The moderators were angry with him and decided since he posted that he was going to ignore the moderator then it was easy to put him on ban. Wow that's great.

I wonder if there will be any twitter conversations about it? Probably not I guess.
Old 02-17-13, 15:37

It's just an one week vacation.

It seems that the Hog has specifically reported ebander, but not any other poster.
Old 02-17-13, 16:20
Administrator

ebandit was not banned over the "hog/hoggie" issue. He was banned for publicly saying he would ignore the mods.

The nickname issue is still to be decided. If other users have called TheHog by that nickname and he has not protested, then it is allowed to be used, by anyone, as far as I am concerned.

Susan
Old 02-17-13, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post
ebandit was not banned over the "hog/hoggie" issue. He was banned for publicly saying he would ignore the mods.

The nickname issue is still to be decided. If other users have called TheHog by that nickname and he has not protested, then it is allowed to be used, by anyone, as far as I am concerned.

Susan
Sorry for interfere but did he ignore them at the end or not? Is it right to ban someone for what he/she declares but doesn't do?
Old 02-17-13, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitogata View Post
Sorry for interfere but did he ignore them at the end or not? Is it right to ban someone for what he/she declares but doesn't do?
Now we're getting warnings for defying "universal truth" and bans for the expression of an insubordinate thought.
Old 02-17-13, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkvW View Post
Now we're getting warnings for defying "universal truth" and bans for the expression of an insubordinate thought.
The best moderated forums are those who are moderated less.
And this works when the moderation of the discussions goes to the users so no one can feel that someone else behaved unfair to someone else.
I know a very successful and with high traffic cycling forum that has no moderation at all. 6th in my countrys rank, 20.000 members, 5000 unique and active members every day.

The only rules that exist there is to open new threads in the right place and don't have double accounts or spam with adds etc.

The most interesting and polite discussions are taking place there and this happens because members moderate themselves. Even trolls don't bother to get in this forum. How it works this?

Example. There was a guy recently who was trying to troll in a fixed gear's bikes thread. He got such appreciation for his trolling that in a couple of days disappeared..Some members started talking to him seriously, other started teasing him, other just ignore him, others wanted to print Tshirts with his nickname " I 'm Tony's fan" some print them and posted photos and female members asked him "seriously" to date them!

He expected to create tension and quarrels and he got back fun and appreciation. And some serious proposals to meet people. Not quite what a troll expects eh??

After a while some members missed him and posted pleas to have him back.. but no signs of Tony three months now.. The discussion continues till now with a couple of pages of real fun!

The concept is that beside nicknames are real persons. You can't talk to somebody badly if you have him face to face, and probably he will ignore you the next time. And nobody is going to save your skin if you talking to somebody face to face and you are rude. You have to deal with it yourself.

Same in this forum. The members ensure the rules. And if someone gets beyond limits, there's nobody there to save him. So he has to be careful and respect other people.

The admins and mods have other more important works to do.. to maintain the site and not to bother for what said the one to the other. Things run flawlessly and people discuss there peacefully and polite because no one feels that someone was unfair or tried to regulate the discussions. Everyone is responsible for himself.

It is different but it works.
Old 02-17-13, 19:35
Administrator

Sounds lovely. Would never work here, though, nor in almost any other cycling forum I have ever read.

Care to tell us the name of this perfect-world forum?

Susan
Old 02-17-13, 19:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Westemeyer View Post
Sounds lovely. Would never work here, though, nor in almost any other cycling forum I have ever read.

Care to tell us the name of this perfect-world forum?

Susan
Of course.. www.podilates.gr.

It is a cycling forum and a place where most of cycling groups publish announcements about new cycling events etc.

I believe that it can work to any forum.. the first period of time is a little confusing but then everything works by itself.

It isn't that there are no quarrels or vile comments in this forum.. some people have certain behaviors. It is that sooner or later these guys that want to create quarrels and tension realize that this doesn't work there because nobody can be provoked..

And if someone is really vile, he gets back what he gives.. Fair play if you get the point, is not like the mod who is trying to find out who was right or wrong, by reading one thousand discussions every day just to get back the depreciation of other members for his/her decisions.

There is no one to regulate real life discussions. Mods and admins are human beings too.. Not the Pope who doesn't make mistakes..

ETA.. I forgot to warn you.. It is Greek to you..

Last edited by alitogata; 02-17-13 at 19:48.