The Rapha hater thread - Page 36 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #351  
Old 02-17-13, 00:07
BroDeal's Avatar
BroDeal BroDeal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Above 5000 feet
Posts: 12,889
Default

Sky using Rapha really says it all. Could there be a more pompous spokesman obsessed with his phony image than the one on the left? I have to wonder how long before Rapha comes out with a city cycling outfit based on that ridiculous ensemble.

__________________
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken

Last edited by sittingbison; 02-20-13 at 04:21. Reason: slightly insulting word for lesser nobility redacted :)
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 02-17-13, 01:00
veganrob's Avatar
veganrob veganrob is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The D
Posts: 1,668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitogata View Post
What is the point of hating a brand when you can always buy something else?
Hating really needs no reason. Besides, Rapha sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 02-17-13, 01:24
alitogata's Avatar
alitogata alitogata is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Athens
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganrob View Post
Hating really needs no reason. Besides, Rapha sucks.
The best punishment for a brand that sucks is not to buy it's products and not loosing time posting hateful posts. You see..not buying makes bigger damage than giving bad press, because even bad press makes people pay attention, while no press at all, makes people ignore something.

And in the end of the day, someone who hates spends his/her energy in the wrong place.. Why not spending our energy on cycling??
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 02-17-13, 01:46
Parrot23's Avatar
Parrot23 Parrot23 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitogata View Post
The best punishment for a brand that sucks is not to buy it's products and not loosing time posting hateful posts. You see..not buying makes bigger damage than giving bad press, because even bad press makes people pay attention, while no press at all, makes people ignore something.

And in the end of the day, someone who hates spends his/her energy in the wrong place.. Why not spending our energy on cycling??
Excellent post +1.

The one and very thing Brad is not is pompous. He's a complex fellow and has more money probably than he ever thought he would. He's acting like someone from a modest background who has come into a lot of money. Nothing unusual or strange there. Good for him.

Some folks stew in their hatreds and it becomes their lifeblood. Too bad--and it really is bad.

Time for some folks to drop into Zam's kindness thread.

(Full disclosure: I don't like the pretension of their brand, but to use it as a hook to hate the folks using it, Brad in this case, is truly absurd.)

Last edited by Parrot23; 02-17-13 at 01:49.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 02-17-13, 02:12
Race Radio's Avatar
Race Radio Race Radio is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,167
Default

I guess I finally have to write this.

I have one friend who wears Rapha. It is the only thing he will wear on the bike. He has the shoes, socks, bibs, jerseys, jackets. Head to toe.

I am sure some will scream "Poser" and assume he is a rich dentist/doctor/lawyer who only rides his bike to the coffee shop and back. Hardly.

He is a Navy SEAL. Been deployed over a dozen times. Hardest guy I have ever met. Can ride most of you off his wheel without a hint of suffering. Never complains, just rides hard.....really, really, hard.

He appreciates the quality, service, and simple style. I doubt he as ever been to a coffee shop.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 02-17-13, 02:17
alitogata's Avatar
alitogata alitogata is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Athens
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot23 View Post
[...]
(Full disclosure: I don't like the pretension of their brand, but to use it as a hook to hate the folks using it, Brad in this case, is truly absurd.)
I don't know who is Brad, ( I haven't read all the posts) but I think that those who hate people from the brands that they prefer, generalize because they are not able to distinguish the qualities of a product from the qualities of a living person.

My mother used to told me that I don't need to wear branded clothes in order to feel like someone exceptional but my exceptionality has to be the brand of my self.
Her point is that is not the clothes that give specific qualities on us but we are those who give quality to any kind of clothes.

I wear any brand.. No brand can wear me.
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 02-17-13, 02:35
BroDeal's Avatar
BroDeal BroDeal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Above 5000 feet
Posts: 12,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot23 View Post
The one and very thing Brad is not is pompous. He's a complex fellow and has more money probably than he ever thought he would. He's acting like someone from a modest background who has come into a lot of money. Nothing unusual or strange there. Good for him.
Anyone who spends so much effort dressing like he is from a bygone age qualifies as pompous and strange. A fixation on pretending to be part of a past era makes Wiggins and Ralpa a match made in heaven.
__________________
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 02-17-13, 03:24
alitogata's Avatar
alitogata alitogata is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Athens
Posts: 273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Anyone who spends so much effort dressing like he is from a bygone age qualifies as pompous and strange. A fixation on pretending to be part of a past era makes Wiggins and Ralpa a match made in heaven.
Ha ha ha.. I know this Brad though..
Oh come on.. there's nothing wrong with Brad. He has his own style and this means that he has his own aesthetics and his own individual taste.

I like this kind of persons because they know who they are and what they want. I think that Bradley Wiggins can wear whatever brand he wants and have always his own unique style.
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 02-17-13, 18:17
Parrot23's Avatar
Parrot23 Parrot23 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Anyone who spends so much effort dressing like he is from a bygone age qualifies as pompous and strange. A fixation on pretending to be part of a past era makes Wiggins and Ralpa a match made in heaven.
This doesn't even have anything remotely to do with the truth about Brad except in your imagination, and Rapha's branding exercise. And Brad's connection to it is sheer commercial coincidence. It could still be Adidas, it could be Assos. You're just blowing in the wind--and you were doing it about Pearl Izumi stuff before.

Froome on his part apparently knows zilch, like really almost nothing, about cycling history.

Nicely balanced pair.

Last edited by sittingbison; 02-18-13 at 14:55. Reason: Personal Insult redacted
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 02-19-13, 04:03
Barracuda Barracuda is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fleurieu Peninsula
Posts: 300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
I guess I finally have to write this.

I have one friend who wears Rapha. It is the only thing he will wear on the bike. He has the shoes, socks, bibs, jerseys, jackets. Head to toe.

I am sure some will scream "Poser" and assume he is a rich dentist/doctor/lawyer who only rides his bike to the coffee shop and back. Hardly.

He is a Navy SEAL. Been deployed over a dozen times. Hardest guy I have ever met. Can ride most of you off his wheel without a hint of suffering. Never complains, just rides hard.....really, really, hard.

He appreciates the quality, service, and simple style. I doubt he as ever been to a coffee shop.


Converted "former non liker" here, I too appreciate the quality, fit service and style, been wearing the classic kit for a month now and nothing has come close to it, not even my beloved Castelli 3T Pro kit.

Im over wearing a kit that is a bit cheaper, but not by much, thats got advertising all over it and every other numpty is riding the same kit.

Plus, once the post purchase depression faded, I realised I had nothing to fear.
__________________
" DONT STAND ON MY DOG ........ "
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 23:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2006 - 2009 Future Publishing Limited. All rights reserved. Future Publishing Limited is part of the Future plc group. Future Publishing Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company registration number 2008885 whose registered office is at Beauford Court 30 Monmouth Street Bath, UK BA1 2BW England.