The Rapha hater thread - Page 36 - CyclingNews Forum

Go Back   CyclingNews Forum > Bikes & Gear > General

General Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Old 02-17-13, 00:07

Sky using Rapha really says it all. Could there be a more pompous spokesman obsessed with his phony image than the one on the left? I have to wonder how long before Rapha comes out with a city cycling outfit based on that ridiculous ensemble.

Last edited by sittingbison; 02-20-13 at 04:21. Reason: slightly insulting word for lesser nobility redacted :)
Old 02-17-13, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitogata View Post
What is the point of hating a brand when you can always buy something else?
Hating really needs no reason. Besides, Rapha sucks.
Old 02-17-13, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganrob View Post
Hating really needs no reason. Besides, Rapha sucks.
The best punishment for a brand that sucks is not to buy it's products and not loosing time posting hateful posts. You see..not buying makes bigger damage than giving bad press, because even bad press makes people pay attention, while no press at all, makes people ignore something.

And in the end of the day, someone who hates spends his/her energy in the wrong place.. Why not spending our energy on cycling??
Old 02-17-13, 01:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by alitogata View Post
The best punishment for a brand that sucks is not to buy it's products and not loosing time posting hateful posts. You see..not buying makes bigger damage than giving bad press, because even bad press makes people pay attention, while no press at all, makes people ignore something.

And in the end of the day, someone who hates spends his/her energy in the wrong place.. Why not spending our energy on cycling??
Excellent post +1.

The one and very thing Brad is not is pompous. He's a complex fellow and has more money probably than he ever thought he would. He's acting like someone from a modest background who has come into a lot of money. Nothing unusual or strange there. Good for him.

Some folks stew in their hatreds and it becomes their lifeblood. Too bad--and it really is bad.

Time for some folks to drop into Zam's kindness thread.

(Full disclosure: I don't like the pretension of their brand, but to use it as a hook to hate the folks using it, Brad in this case, is truly absurd.)

Last edited by Parrot23; 02-17-13 at 01:49.
Old 02-17-13, 02:12

I guess I finally have to write this.

I have one friend who wears Rapha. It is the only thing he will wear on the bike. He has the shoes, socks, bibs, jerseys, jackets. Head to toe.

I am sure some will scream "Poser" and assume he is a rich dentist/doctor/lawyer who only rides his bike to the coffee shop and back. Hardly.

He is a Navy SEAL. Been deployed over a dozen times. Hardest guy I have ever met. Can ride most of you off his wheel without a hint of suffering. Never complains, just rides hard.....really, really, hard.

He appreciates the quality, service, and simple style. I doubt he as ever been to a coffee shop.
Old 02-17-13, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot23 View Post
[...]
(Full disclosure: I don't like the pretension of their brand, but to use it as a hook to hate the folks using it, Brad in this case, is truly absurd.)
I don't know who is Brad, ( I haven't read all the posts) but I think that those who hate people from the brands that they prefer, generalize because they are not able to distinguish the qualities of a product from the qualities of a living person.

My mother used to told me that I don't need to wear branded clothes in order to feel like someone exceptional but my exceptionality has to be the brand of my self.
Her point is that is not the clothes that give specific qualities on us but we are those who give quality to any kind of clothes.

I wear any brand.. No brand can wear me.
Old 02-17-13, 02:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot23 View Post
The one and very thing Brad is not is pompous. He's a complex fellow and has more money probably than he ever thought he would. He's acting like someone from a modest background who has come into a lot of money. Nothing unusual or strange there. Good for him.
Anyone who spends so much effort dressing like he is from a bygone age qualifies as pompous and strange. A fixation on pretending to be part of a past era makes Wiggins and Ralpa a match made in heaven.
Old 02-17-13, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
Anyone who spends so much effort dressing like he is from a bygone age qualifies as pompous and strange. A fixation on pretending to be part of a past era makes Wiggins and Ralpa a match made in heaven.
Ha ha ha.. I know this Brad though..
Oh come on.. there's nothing wrong with Brad. He has his own style and this means that he has his own aesthetics and his own individual taste.

I like this kind of persons because they know who they are and what they want. I think that Bradley Wiggins can wear whatever brand he wants and have always his own unique style.
Old 02-17-13, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDeal View Post
This doesn't even have anything remotely to do with the truth about Brad except in your imagination, and Rapha's branding exercise. And Brad's connection to it is sheer commercial coincidence. It could still be Adidas, it could be Assos. You're just blowing in the wind--and you were doing it about Pearl Izumi stuff before.

Froome on his part apparently knows zilch, like really almost nothing, about cycling history.

Nicely balanced pair.

Last edited by sittingbison; 02-18-13 at 14:55. Reason: Personal Insult redacted
Old 02-19-13, 04:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Radio View Post
I guess I finally have to write this.

I have one friend who wears Rapha. It is the only thing he will wear on the bike. He has the shoes, socks, bibs, jerseys, jackets. Head to toe.

I am sure some will scream "Poser" and assume he is a rich dentist/doctor/lawyer who only rides his bike to the coffee shop and back. Hardly.

He is a Navy SEAL. Been deployed over a dozen times. Hardest guy I have ever met. Can ride most of you off his wheel without a hint of suffering. Never complains, just rides hard.....really, really, hard.

He appreciates the quality, service, and simple style. I doubt he as ever been to a coffee shop.

Converted "former non liker" here, I too appreciate the quality, fit service and style, been wearing the classic kit for a month now and nothing has come close to it, not even my beloved Castelli 3T Pro kit.

Im over wearing a kit that is a bit cheaper, but not by much, thats got advertising all over it and every other numpty is riding the same kit.

Plus, once the post purchase depression faded, I realised I had nothing to fear.