Wiggins, Clinic respect? - Page 71 - Cyclingnews Forum

Go Back   Cyclingnews Forum > Road > The Clinic

The Clinic The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Old 02-17-13, 17:47

What is the Wiggins method, pray tell? This isn't a guy like Lance perfecting the art of building a race (ok, and doping) program up around few race days and more time training to a single season peak, over several years. It's not a guy like Evans or Valverde racing to win every race they enter every year either.

Wiggins 2009: a bit of early season racing (Qatar and the Tour Med), DNF Paris-Nice, a handful of one-day Classics and short stage races (de Panne, Critérium International before the Corsica days), then the Giro, before resting up for the Tour. After that, a couple of weeks' rest before the Eneco Tour, the waving to the crowds in the Tour of Britain, the Worlds and then winning the Jayco Herald Sun Tour. Seems a pretty intensive racing program.
Wiggins 2010: Now with the pressure of leading a team, Wiggins elects for early season stage racing (Qatar) but instead of doing those northern Classics and flatter stage races, prefers to go for hillier ones (Ruta del Sol, Murcía, País Vasco). None of these are raced to win and no results are banked. Targets Giro prologue but does not intend to compete in the GC - indeed is pretty much an irrelevance even after being in the break to L'Aquila, and apart from an exploration on Monte Grappa that is roundly ignored by the heads of state you'd be forgiven for forgetting he was in the race once he lost the maglia rosa to Evans after a day. Turns up to the Tour and underperforms, cites having done too much racing, takes a month off, then does a few one-day races and the Tour of Britain, which he had to be cajoled into by the team.
Wiggins 2011: fresh from the failure of the 2010 season, the calendar is revamped significantly. 2010's failure had been to do a lot of race days without attempting to bank results and test oneself, so that when the Tour went wrong there was no fall-back option. In 2011 he starts in Qatar as usual, then rectifies this problem with an assist from a chronically awful Paris-Nice route that heavily favours the time triallist. He then returns to those northern Classics and short stage races like de Panne that he did in his more successful year, before riding Romandie with no aims and then taking a month off until Bayern and hitting his stride with victory in the Dauphiné. He seemed to be in good form at the Tour but we'll never know since he crashed out and the lopsided route meant we never really saw him attempt a climb in anger in the race. Bounces back from injury by finishing on the podium of the Vuelta.
Wiggins 2012: fed up of that flat race, one-day race and trying to target races to peak at BS, Wiggins arrives at a new raceplan: tweak the previous year's calendar, and win everything with ease. Qatar is replaced with the hillier Algarve, which Wiggins would win if his teammate didn't. Paris-Nice remains, the flatter races are replaced with Catalunya then another month off staying away from those nasty, hard to control one-day races where the risk of crashes may be greater because it's harder to keep the protective shell of domestiques around. Romandie, then another month off. Then the Dauphiné, then another month off. Then the Tour, Olympics, and anything else is a lap of honour.
Wiggins 2013: goes from peak for everything, to reducing the race days drastically.

There's no real, clear, obvious pattern of low race days for a single peak with Wiggins. His calendar is not as clearly predictable - health permitting - as, say, Andy Schleck.

Forever tte de la course.
Old 02-17-13, 17:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastersracer View Post
1. Re Lemond, what I said is 100% accurate.
2. Re Wiggins, his race/training schedule has shifted for the Giro - this is exactly around the training concept of a peak, a target weight, etc.
You are full of it, incredible.

Not even gonna rebut on LeMond cause he is your main target but Wiggins 12 kiloos overweight at the off season? Laughing my @rse of. And you buy this stuff?

Get outta here, best to ignore I guess.

vetooo ‏@ammattipyoraily
#Tour 1990, Luz Ardiden (13.30 km, 7.44 %, 989 m). Greg LeMond: 39 min 46 sec, 20.07 Kph, VAM 1492 m/h, ~5.40-5.50 W/kg.
Old 02-17-13, 17:55
Banned

Quote:
1. Re Lemond, what I said is 100% accurate.

2. Re Wiggins, his race/training schedule has shifted for the Giro - this is exactly around the training concept of a peak, a target weight, etc.
Training, lagers, few ciggies, an award show, training block, out the back of first race of season, more training, peak for Giro.

Cool!
Old 02-17-13, 17:56

no roll your own jamaican "cigars" too?
Old 02-17-13, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayRider View Post
Couldn't have put it better myself. If 'I want to race the Giro as they don't talk about doping' doesn't sound suspicious then I don't know what does.
LOL he really said that. This guy clearly has Alzheimer's disease.

We are already seeing the effects of no Leinders. Must be hoping the new Doctor has learn't everything by the time he heads to Tenerife.
Old 02-17-13, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
What kind of a w**ker is Wiggins?

He wins pretty much everything he wanted last year and made it look easy! This year he doesn't want to do it again? Bollix. He cant, no Leinders!

He wants to race the Giro because they dont talk about doping in Italy? Bollix with all the coverage of Mantova, Cipo, Basso etc etc the Italians dont talk about doping!

Wiggins stop smoking that sh1t!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayRider View Post
Couldn't have put it better myself. If 'I want to race the Giro as they don't talk about doping' doesn't sound suspicious then I don't know what does.
Wiggo should hire a PR consultant to monitor his statements, because he is just breaking records on self-compromising/incriminating......

I mean - the 82-75-70 "weigh shed Schedule" is just ridiculous- At least Contador speaks of 5 kilos max during the off season & currently 2.5 to shed off.......
Old 02-17-13, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benotti69 View Post
What kind of a w**ker is Wiggins?
well,

atleast we know he aint of the bone idle variety w@nker.
Old 02-17-13, 19:12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the asian View Post
We are already seeing the effects of no Leinders. Must be hoping the new Doctor has learn't everything by the time he heads to Tenerife.
And what effects would those be, then?

Wiggins coming a lowly 126th in the Tour of Oman, or Froome winning it??
Old 02-17-13, 19:21

Quote:
Actually, Greg Lemond was among the first to try change this model - he wanted to adopt the race/training preparation structure of marathon running (race less, train more) to focus on the Tour with a single-season peak, but team/sponsorship did not allow him to do so. If Lemond were racing today, the Wiggins model is the one he'd utilize.

As for Wiggins' decision re the Giro, I think it merely illustrates that he has enough insight into his own race weaknesses to know that he would not win this year's Tour, particularly with Contador in it and Froome challenging for team leadership.
' his own race weaknesses ' Before 2009 every road race was a weakness!

Didn't stop him doing the TdF and Giro's before or since.
Old 02-17-13, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadelcrybaby View Post
And what effects would those be, then?
Dementia
(10 chars)